RMweb

Model Portillo

Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

Do you have a model Michael Portillo somewhere on your layout?

You know the sort of thing; Thunderbirds-style oversized hands and head, garishly bright clothes, orange skin and possibly with a Bradshaw's Guide clamped under arm.

If you have a representation of the great man, or his period equivalent, or would like to take up the challenge to create one, it would be great to see your photos.

Thanks! (I hope this is going to fly...)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you have a model Portillo, then for political/gender/diversity balance should you not have a model Diane Abbott too?

• Like 2

Supercast produce a Michael Portillo figure with a choice of coloured jackets.

Unfortunately Mike Pett's web site seems to have been AWOL for some time.  The phone number listed in the UK Model Shop Directory is 01843 593417.  (It would be nice to be able to browse the range online, though.)

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Premium

I suppose for 1972 I could have a John Betjeman.

Suggest it to Mike Pett.

Unfortunately Mike Pett's web site seems to have been AWOL for some time.  The phone number listed in the UK Model Shop Directory is 01843 593417.  (It would be nice to be able to browse the range online, though.)

Mike admits to being a bit of a computer Luddite. He was at our show a couple of weeks ago.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a 2D cardboard cut out Portillo. You know, like those dress up dolls my sister used to have with clothes with tabs on. He could have a different coloured outfit every day.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Portillo is probably on his way to being in that rather suspect category of 'a national treasure' and there may be royalties to pay in replicating him. To be fair he's done his bit for the national rail system.

I do have a Betjeman but have yet to paint him. Having read this amazing scale color guide by model artist Aidan Campbell, I'm going to do so carefully. http://aidan-campbell.co.uk/PDFs/guide%20to%20scale%20colour.pdf

Dava

• Like 2

Fortunately, my layout is based in 1957/8 when Portillo would have been just starting at primary school. Therefore any young kid in a school uniform could conceivably be regarded as him on a day out with his mum. 

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps a 2D cardboard cut out Portillo. You know, like those dress up dolls my sister used to have with clothes with tabs on. He could have a different coloured outfit every day.

Sad  I know,  but.....

post-7191-0-78437800-1532169861_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry, but that dress is just too understated. Haven't you got something in dayglo purple and lime green?

• RMweb Gold

I'm hoping we'll get to see some unmistakable Portillos actually stood on people's layouts.

He gets around a bit so you could argue that any model depicting the last 10 years should have a Portillo somewhere on it to make it prototypically correct... ;-)

And there are always the non-railway scenes where he makes a customarily ham-fisted attempt at some activity or other.

(Did I post this in the wrong forum? If a Mod is reading this thread and thinks it would have a better home elsewhere please feel free to move it.)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1