Foxfield Gala and Bellerophon's last run

I went, with 5050, to the Foxfield, yesterday. It was a good day out but not as busy as usual, with fewer engines in steam as in the past, no Knotty coaches on the passenger service, and fewer wagons and less thrash on the coal trains. The reason for the latter being the fire risk, which was sensible as several lineside fires occured when we were there but were quickly dealt with by the special firefighting train team, which consisted of a Thomas Hill Vanguard diesel and a lowmac carrying water and hoses.

It was also Bellerophon's last run for the foreseeable future as the boiler ticket has now expired and, so we were told, a return to service will cost around £70,000.

post-494-0-15784700-1532372443.jpg

The first coal train up the bank was the best spectacle of the day, with Hunslet 14" 0-6-0ST Brookes No.1 (now thankfully back as a saddletank after a period as "Thomas The Tank Engine") visiting from the Middleton Railway.

post-494-0-32390600-1532372598.jpg

Austerity Whiston

post-494-0-92847400-1532372671.jpg

Whiston again.

post-494-0-15489000-1532372711.jpg

Austerity Wimblebury descending the bank.

post-494-0-78547200-1532372767.jpg

Bellerophon on her last coal run. The final train hauled by this loco would have been the passenger service down to Caverswall Road. The chalked inscription on the smokebox door reads "Not Farewell but Adieu".

post-494-0-77265000-1532372883.jpg

• Like 18

Bellerophon would make a fine model, although I'm not sure I'm brave enough to tackle that crazy valve gear!

I would like to model one of the Borrows well tanks but am put off for the same reason. Only it would be even more difficult on the Borrows as the valve gear is behind the wheels but outside the tank and frames.

I went, with 5050, to the Foxfield, yesterday. It was a good day out but not as busy as usual, with fewer engines in steam as in the past, no Knotty coaches on the passenger service, and fewer wagons and less thrash on the coal trains. The reason for the latter being the fire risk, which was sensible as several lineside fires occured when we were there but were quickly dealt with by the special firefighting train team, which consisted of a Thomas Hill Vanguard diesel and a lowmac carrying water and hoses.

It was also Bellerophon's last run for the foreseeable future as the boiler ticket has now expired and, so we were told, a return to service will cost around £70,000.

attachicon.gifFoxfield1.jpg

The first coal train up the bank was the best spectacle of the day, with Hunslet 14" 0-6-0ST Brookes No.1 (now thankfully back as a saddletank after a period as "Thomas The Tank Engine") visiting from the Middleton Railway.

attachicon.gifFoxfield2.jpg

Austerity Whiston

attachicon.gifFoxfield3.jpg

Whiston again.

attachicon.gifFoxfield4.jpg

Austerity Wimblebury descending the bank.

attachicon.gifFoxfield5.jpg

Bellerophon on her last coal run. The final train hauled by this loco would have been the passenger service down to Caverswall Road. The chalked inscription on the smokebox door reads "Not Farewell but Adieu".

attachicon.gifFoxfield6.jpg

Great shots, thanks for posting them.

I talked to the VCT people during the Worth Valley week about Bellerophon. They would love to get her done, but the money is the stumbling block!!

Just before I go and get my coat!! Are you thinking about a model of Bellerophon?

Chris.

I also made it to the Foxfield Gala, heading over on Sunday, attracted by seeing Bellerophon one more time before withdrawal for overhaul and the visitor Brookes No 1 from Middleton. IMHO, the 14” Hunslet tanks are the best looking of the attractive Hunslet tanks, hopefully some day the Judith Edge kit will be available in 7mm scale.

As Ruston has said, there were a few precautions being made for the fire risk, I live a short drive down the A50 from Foxfield and we’ve on,y had one evening of showers since the end of May resulting in tender dry conditions so fair play to the railway for making the Gala happen. The smaller locos (Bellerophon and Brookes No 1) were being banked up the bank out of Caverswall Road and also banked up Foxfield Bank by Dubsy. Plus, a Titfield-esque fire train was on standby at Dilhorne Park.

I arrived just in time to jump on a Bellerophon hauled train out to Dilhorne Park, whereupon I made my way down to the field and watched each of the locos head up the hill, Whiston, Bellerophon, Wimblebury and finally Brookes No 1. The latter occurring just as the sun eventually made an appearance.

Following the ascent by Brookes No 1 and Dubsy, a fairly big fire broke out in the grass by the gate in the field and a second smaller one further up under the trees. As soon as the line was clear, we could hear the fire train approaching. Some photographers had stamped out the smaller fire and so the fire train was waved on to deal with the other fire. A very impressive response and all was quickly contained.

After this excitement, I returned to Caverswall Road behind Brookes No 1 where knowing the Signalman Geoff, I ended up in the box for a while before heading home.

My favourite photo from the day was Brookes No 1 and Dubsy towards the top of the hill.

post-11098-0-94678400-1532617182_thumb.jpeg

There are some more photos on my Flickr page if anyone is interested then please take a look:

https://flickr.com/photos/51784336@N05/sets/72157671468700888

There’s also another thread running in the Preservation part of RMWeb.

An excellent day, roll on the next one.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 6

I also made it to the Foxfield Gala, heading over on Sunday, attracted by seeing Bellerophon one more time before withdrawal for overhaul and the visitor Brookes No 1 from Middleton. IMHO, the 14” Hunslet tanks are the best looking of the attractive Hunslet tanks, hopefully some day the Judith Edge kit will be available in 7mm scale.

As Ruston has said, there were a few precautions being made for the fire risk, I live a short drive down the A50 from Foxfield and we’ve on,y had one evening of showers since the end of May resulting in tender dry conditions so fair play to the railway for making the Gala happen. The smaller locos (Bellerophon and Brookes No 1) were being banked up the bank out of Caverswall Road and also banked up Foxfield Bank by Dubsy. Plus, a Titfield-esque fire train was on standby at Dilhorne Park.

I arrived just in time to jump on a Bellerophon hauled train out to Dilhorne Park, whereupon I made my way down to the field and watched each of the locos head up the hill, Whiston, Bellerophon, Wimblebury and finally Brookes No 1. The latter occurring just as the sun eventually made an appearance.

Following the ascent by Brookes No 1 and Dubsy, a fairly big fire broke out in the grass by the gate in the field and a second smaller one further up under the trees. As soon as the line was clear, we could hear the fire train approaching. Some photographers had stamped out the smaller fire and so the fire train was waved on to deal with the other fire. A very impressive response and all was quickly contained.

After this excitement, I returned to Caverswall Road behind Brookes No 1 where knowing the Signalman Geoff, I ended up in the box for a while before heading home.

My favourite photo from the day was Brookes No 1 and Dubsy towards the top of the hill.

attachicon.gifFBCB34E7-34E0-43A4-8C4B-9D823455983A.jpeg

There are some more photos on my Flickr page if anyone is interested then please take a look:

https://flickr.com/photos/51784336@N05/sets/72157671468700888

There’s also another thread running in the Preservation part of RMWeb.

An excellent day, roll on the next one.

Cheers,

Andrew

Great shots!

You are right, the 14" is the prettiest Hunslet!!

Don't get me started on Dave's Hunslet 14" tanks!!! I've just done a 'Being Made Aware Of My Mortality' kit listing and there is no way I can justify getting one!!!

Bearing iin mind I am going to get a Dorman Long Sentinel off Dave when that arrives!!!

Oh yes, I have got a request in with Dave for a Yorkshire Engine 0-4-0 saddle tank kit like the beast he built for Cwmafon, if he does one!!!!

Chris.

Good shots Dave, I suppose most of mine will be similar seeing as how I was standing next to you for several of them!  I still haven't downloaded them but will probably do so very soon and will then post any that are different to yours.

Thanks for sharing.   Here is my video of the event about 5 years ago. 

Oh, Lord and Lady an Ugly!!!!

The one locomotive I was really hoping was going to be at the excellent K&WVR 50th week!!!

I loved the Uglies! Big Brutal beasts!!

I went to agric college with a guy called Charlie Mason whose Dad drove one at Corby. A really nice guy, Charlie in the true sense of the word.

Now, if Mr Edge wants to kit an Ugly, I'll have one of those as well!!!!!

Great film!!

c.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing.   Here is my video of the event about 5 years ago. 

This is a sort of PS.

There is a sequence of the 'Ugly' and Whiston topping and tailing a train.

I was brought up within listening distance of the Bridgewater Colliery railway and could hear the double headed trains hammering up to go to Sanderson's sidings!!

These were NSR 0-6-2's on occaision but that was what it sounded like !!!

Ah memories!!!

Oh yes, getting back to kits I can't buy, if somebody wants to kit an NSR New L class 0-6-2 tank, I'll have one!!!!

Yes, I m that crazy!!!

Chris.

Bellerophon would make a fine model, although I'm not sure I'm brave enough to tackle that crazy valve gear!

Has anyone thought of mentioning this to Rapido - I feel sure they could do it justice and given the recent success of the Hornby Pecketts and other recent industrial locos it would seem a sure fire winner- I would even buy one and my interest is GWR!

Great shots!

You are right, the 14" is the prettiest Hunslet!!

Don't get me started on Dave's Hunslet 14" tanks!!! I've just done a 'Being Made Aware Of My Mortality' kit listing and there is no way I can justify getting one!!!

Bearing iin mind I am going to get a Dorman Long Sentinel off Dave when that arrives!!!

Oh yes, I have got a request in with Dave for a Yorkshire Engine 0-4-0 saddle tank kit like the beast he built for Cwmafon, if he does one!!!!

Chris.

I tell you, it is the ruddy cancer treatment!!! I'm calling Mike Edge Dave!!!!!

I offer my unreserved apologises to that gentleman!!

I'll also get my coat! Again!!!

Chris.

Thanks very much for sharing these pictures Ruston, some wonderful scenes. I have never been but Foxfield is top of my list for preserved railways I would like to visit. It appears to be a mecca for fans of industrial steam.

David

Thanks very much for sharing these pictures Ruston, some wonderful scenes. I have never been but Foxfield is top of my list for preserved railways I would like to visit. It appears to be a mecca for fans of industrial steam.

David

If you're going to visit the Foxfield you need to go on one of the steam gala days to see the coal trains on the bank, which is what makes this railway special. Normal days are just run of the mill passenger trains, as on every other preserved railway.

I was talking to the chap who organises the steam galas about how it won't be the same once the line to the colliery is passed for passenger trains and he assured me that on gala days passenger trains will continue to terminate at Dilhorne Park, leaving the bank free for the coal trains, which is good news. I usually park the car at Caverswall Road, buy a ticket, get my breakfast in the cafe (their Full English is excellent!) and take the first train to Dilhorne Park. Then I walk down to the colliery and spend the rest of the day watching the coal trains until the last bus back to Caverswall Road.

• Like 2

I think Impetus used to produce a kit for this type of Bagnall.

A number of Bagnall's works drawings have been saved.

Gordon A

Gordon,

it is the big 0-6-0 saddle tank I am on about!

The Impetus Bagnall I have an unbuilt kit for in the 'Loft Insulation!'

I am going to build the Bagnall at some point!!!

C.

If you're going to visit the Foxfield you need to go on one of the steam gala days to see the coal trains on the bank, which is what makes this railway special. Normal days are just run of the mill passenger trains, as on every other preserved railway.

I was talking to the chap who organises the steam galas about how it won't be the same once the line to the colliery is passed for passenger trains and he assured me that on gala days passenger trains will continue to terminate at Dilhorne Park, leaving the bank free for the coal trains, which is good news. I usually park the car at Caverswall Road, buy a ticket, get my breakfast in the cafe (their Full English is excellent!) and take the first train to Dilhorne Park. Then I walk down to the colliery and spend the rest of the day watching the coal trains until the last bus back to Caverswall Road.

Thanks for that information it is really useful. I will have to have a look at what events they have on and make a plan. It should be 'do-able' in a day from up here so would make a nice run out.

Cheers,

David