Hornby dublo

ddoherty958

The Co-Bo set is on the first page LOT 4002. It only made a rather miserable £80 though. Obviously it is still showing as a bad choice for a model.  :wacko:

I'll see if I can find/add up the total, if I can find a spare moment, to see if it made the £30k. A cooking programme or the awful Italian version of 'X-Factor'. (I thought the British version was diabolical....)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

Knock a zero off the end of the price and I'll buy it.

A classic case of rarity pushing the price way beyond what it is really worth.  Its rarity is to my mind the only thing that makes the track cleaning wagon a desirable item - if it was one of the common items from the Dublo range I would think that the only reason anyone would have for wanting one would be to complete their collection.  I can think of a lot of things I would rather spend £200 on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Wolseley said:

Knock a zero off the end of the price and I'll buy it.

A classic case of rarity pushing the price way beyond what it is really worth.  Its rarity is to my mind the only thing that makes the track cleaning wagon a desirable item - if it was one of the common items from the Dublo range I would think that the only reason anyone would have for wanting one would be to complete their collection.  I can think of a lot of things I would rather spend £200 on.

What is anything 'really' worth? Only what someone is willing to pay for it. So I can quite agree that for most, this item is overvalued, but they do actually sell for hundreds of pounds, so like it or not, that's what they're worth. If it's any consolation, the prices for these have been softening over the years as the diehard Dublo collectors pass on and their collections get sold on. But by the same token there are still many people in their 60s, 70s or even older that would still like to get that final last piece for their collection - and as you can't take it with you, ironically it is easier to justify blowing a few hundred at that age if you have it than when you are younger and juggling mortgage, bills, family etc

Edited by andyman7
Spelling
  • Like 3

What were prices like overall?

My impression (not based on any science) is that prices for high-quality, good condition, vintage stuff have risen over the ast two years, possibly because trading has been constrained by lack of table-top sales at HRCA meetings and the like, partly because some people have been prepared to pay more as a result of having money spare as all sorts of other ways of ‘wasting’ it have also been constrained.

• Like 1

The links I put should lead to the site. Some prices were rather less than normal some more. A second LNER N2 9596 made less than the first despite having a second locomotive thrown in.

"and as you can't take it with you, ironically it is easier to justify blowing a few hundred at that age if you have it than when you are younger and juggling mortgage, bills, family etc."

I don't think SWMBO would agree with that one....  "Not more trains!!!!"

The Co-Bo is rather elegant in a functional, no-frills sort of way. If only the real ones had worked properly!  I lashed out around £35 on mine.

Seeing the top and bottom photos of the rail cleaning wagon, I'm tempted to fake make a replica from a die-cast mineral wagon. (There are two versions of this. The first batch had the transfers applied the wrong way round.)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

On 23/09/2021 at 12:28, Wolseley said:

I finally got around to fitting a rear bogie to my Dublo 0-6-4T and it has been running quite happily around the layout (or at least has been running quite happily since I fixed the back-to-back of the leading driving wheels, which was almost 1mm more than it should have been).

What? A Dublo 0-6-4T, I hear you say? there wasn't such a beast, was there? Well, there is now. I took a Dublo 0-6-2T and replaced the trailing wheels with a bogie from a Dublo 2-6-4T. I couldn't use the bogie as it was, as the arm connecting it to the chassis wasn't long enough. The mounting point on the chassis is very close to the gear wheel on the rear axle too, so anything I could easily make would have fouled it. In the end, I took a spare Dublo A4 trailing truck (I have several in my spares box), which is mounted to its chassis in almost an identical way to the 0-6-2T, cut off the sides and the hook at the rear, and screwed the bogie (minus arm) to it. I still have to touch up the paintwork where I modified it, but here it is:

P1010151.jpg.fc64879bae170d0cdda64b6a8fb0fb59.jpg

Hi all,

I made something similar using a H/D N2 chassis. A Drummond X class. Here she is. Ok I admit I scratch built the rear bogie and did not use a H/D original one.

DSC_0978.JPG

DSC_0981.JPG

DSC_0992.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Looking for an example of the mineral wagon I found this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124842945265?hash=item1d11382af1:g:5l0AAOSw6OhhDrg5

This suggests two extra versions. The first batches had the early coupling less tags and the reversed transfers. However this has the reversed transfers and the later coupling with the tags. Further research showed an example with early coupling and correct transfers. I now need three extra examples to complete my collection, but I don't think I'll bother....

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi all,

I also meant to say I built 3 other 0-6-2 engines from the H/D N2 body and chassis. A Drummond class 45 and something approximating a Southern E6. Plus a condensing version. A very versatile little engine.

DSC_0955.JPG

DSC_0956.JPG

DSC_0957.JPG

DSC_0958.JPG

DSC_0959.JPG

DSC_1104.JPG

DSC_1105.JPG

DSC_1106.JPG

DSC_1107.JPG

DSC_1108.JPG

DSC_1109.JPG

DSC_0246.JPG

DSC_0248.JPG

DSC_0250.JPG

DSC_0252.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 6

Inspiring, but the cycling lions should face forward on both sides.

Likewise the 'ferrets' up to late 1959. After that they both faced left (but there were stocks of transfers to use up :secret: ).

I keep meaning to do a condensing N2 (as 4744 in GNR livery), but other projects....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Il Grifone said:

Inspiring, but the cycling lions should face forward on both sides.

Likewise the 'ferrets' up to late 1959. After that they both faced left (but there were stocks of transfers to use up :secret: ).

I keep meaning to do a condensing N2 (as 4744 in GNR livery), but other projects....

That was my fault in that I put them on backwards on both sides. They should have both been facing forwards.

• Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, cypherman said:

I made something similar using a H/D N2 chassis. A Drummond X class.

More than similar - that's exactly what mine will be, although mine is going to be painted in HR green.......

Jim

• Like 1

Lights! Now why didn't I think of that for covering the holes in Dublo platforms?

The real thing tended to be rather dim. Clifton Down, my local station for most of the fifties, still had gas lighting!

• Like 3

HI there

So the Dublo Surgeon's order of spare parts finally arrived inc the spare coupling rod and  valve gear for  RHS of the A4.

However I struck a problem trying to remove crank pins. Despite being very loose and sticking out (therefore no rivet head behind?)  I cannot get pins out  and one has in fact sheared off.

Anyone have any tips for removing these pins? I am reluctant to use brute force.........

It appears that they are in fact riveted over behind. Unfortunately this means removing the wheels. They should come off relatively easily with the aid of a flat blade screwdriver. Loosen the two screws holding the worm gear and then go around a bit at a time. Since the axles are splined, quartering shouldn't be a problem unless the wheels get mixed up. Do one at a time to avoid this. Once off press the pin in tight and cut the rivet off behind the wheel (not necessary on the sheared one obviously - with luck this can be reversed to avoid replacement . Hide it behind the slide bar assembly on the front axle.)

Thanks David

Will give it a go.

There is also a lot of play in rearmost axle (gear wheel) that at times gear become disengaged from worm drive. Might have to put a metal bush in as per Ronald Dodds video....

I watched Duggleby's auction live hoping to pick up a bargain - my hopes were dashed when i was quoted 130 GBP for sending one to Australia...! While collectors fought over rare items, there were quite a few bargains (if you lived in UK) ; lots of 2 or 3 locomotives in good nick went for 60-100 GBP, far less than you would pay on Ebay. Most rolling stock esp wagons went very cheaply.

HI

Installed rewound armature without too many problems. I could not see if there was a ball bearing in bottom bearing despite poking around with a paperclip. When i added a ball bearing,  brushes were considerably elevated above centreline on commutator so i took it out. Similarly when i added ball bearing to top bearing, there was insufficient thread for lock nut to grab on to. Did some locos not have ball bearings at ends of armature?

Also did my first coupling rod and valve gear replacement, thanks to RM folk's advice.

Removing wheels was relatively easy after the first tentative one. I kept old coupling rod in place on one wheel to help with lining up of adjacent wheels when reinstalling.  Coupling rod pins were not so much riveted in but ends just slightly burred over on inside.

New pins went in with aid of multi-grip pliers without too much fuss.

Coupling rods were very worn - see photo.

Valve gear went in easily but was I confused by pins sent from UK- they were all the same size as coupling rod pins so had to reuse old valve pins.

Guide in slot of Walschaert valve gear was bent down, causing whole gear set to be locked up - had to bend back up.

Locomotive chassis has now done several laps of track, getting faster each time.

Happy to have salvaged a locomotive destined for the scrap heap.

Cheers

HDX.jpg

Edited by Pak75
Typo
  • Like 2

AFAIK all armatures had ball bearings at both ends. They aren't always very visible though.

The slide bars are bent inwards; they should be parallel to the chassis block. It won't stop it working of course, but needs sorting.

Looking up A4s, I was led to this gem from the Turin area:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324507478253?chn

A bargain price....

It is of course extremely rare and, as the seller claims, probably unique in this condition.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite certain where to post this but it is a Dublo layout so here goes.

A Triang EM2 collecting current from the Trix catenary.I turned the flanges down on the motor bogie wheels to operate over Dublo points without rocking and rolling.I replaced the trailing bogie wheels with modern Hornby coach wheels running in Peco brass bearings and fitted with wiper p/ups for better return to the rails.Some of these are very noisy on tinplate track,next job is to look into that problem.

• Like 10