The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Advice on Circular Saw

Sir TophamHatt

It's time I got a new tool.

I have all Bosch stuff, including a cordless drill that has two batteries and a charger.

So I automatically looked at the Bosch circular saws:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Cordless-Circular-Without-Battery/dp/B00E5Z0DX0

Pros: Fits with the other Bosch stuff I have.  Cordless.
I'm on holiday over the next few days so can wait for delivery.

Alternatively, Screwfix have a £60 "Titan" circular saw:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb286csw-1500w-190mm-circular-saw-230v/60525

Pros: It's cheaper than the Bosch and I could collect tomorrow.  Cons: It's corded (not that it's really bothered me I guess)

Don't really want to spend more than £100 unless it's really worth it.  To be fair, the other tools (jigsaw, drill, sander) don't see much work anyway as I'm not really a DIY person.

Are there any others I should look at?

Sort of leaning to wards the Titan at the mo (mainly because of price).

• RMweb Gold

If you are only using this for some domestic DIY then the cheaper saw will probably be ok, what does make a difference is a good quality blade,  the ones that come with the cheaper saws don't always have a long life so invest in a good blade.

I've had approx 6 saws which get used heavily,  currently I have a 'Skil' which was a 'cheapie' but works well and cuts accurately and isn't any worse than the last one which cost 3 times as much and lasted just 3 years.

I would say that circular saws need to be treated with respect as they can do a lot of damage, the main culprit being dull blades that need pushing hard to cut through timber.

• Like 2

It's time I got a new tool.

I have all Bosch stuff, including a cordless drill that has two batteries and a charger.

So I automatically looked at the Bosch circular saws:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Cordless-Circular-Without-Battery/dp/B00E5Z0DX0

Pros: Fits with the other Bosch stuff I have. Cordless.

I'm on holiday over the next few days so can wait for delivery.

Alternatively, Screwfix have a £60 "Titan" circular saw:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb286csw-1500w-190mm-circular-saw-230v/60525

Pros: It's cheaper than the Bosch and I could collect tomorrow. Cons: It's corded (not that it's really bothered me I guess)

Don't really want to spend more than £100 unless it's really worth it. To be fair, the other tools (jigsaw, drill, sander) don't see much work anyway as I'm not really a DIY person.

Are there any others I should look at?

Sort of leaning to wards the Titan at the mo (mainly because of price).

Well the way I see it if ye Titan does the same job, cheaper why not? You can even get it sooner. Tell you what. I you get it and you don’t like it return it and get ye Bosch before your holiday.

• RMweb Gold

I have one of these which I've had for two or three years now.  I bought a spare blade at the same time but I'm still on the original one.  It has coped with everything I have asked of it so far.

I tend to mix and match the quality of power tools depending on anticipated use, so less frequent has me looking towards the budget end of the market and frequent (e.g. drill) towards the premium end.  When I was looking for a circular saw I was aiming for not too pricey but tough enough to cope with a variety of materials.  I was sufficiently impressed that I also now own a sliding compound mitre saw from the same company (Evolution).

I own one Titan power tool which is an electric stapler/nailer which I am happy with and have just used it extensively for stapling and nailing during a loft conversion.

• RMweb Gold

I have just remembered.  Circular saws have been mentioned on RMweb before and one point made at the time stuck with me.  Someone said that they had a cordless one and had used it more than once to roughly cut down materials in the car park of the builders merchant or DIY shed in order to fit them in the car.  Perhaps not something you'd do too frequently but worth bearing in mind.

Edited by teaky
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don’t know what you’re trying to cut so it may not be appropriate but I’d highly recommend one of these https://www.worx.com/en_GB/worxsaw-compact-circular-saw/400w-85mm-plunge-circular-saw-2.html it a much smaller blade for ripping but works just as well. Also the other blades mean you can also use it for tiles and sheet metals and plastics. Mine is about 10-12 years old and I’ve used it for all the laminate flooring throughout 2 houses. I also have a cheap (£40ish) “full size” MacAlister one from B&Q, also works well but it was a only used very occasionally.

• RMweb Gold

If you've used your old saw, what's wrong with it?

Like Dave Bacon, change the blade. You would be surprised how much a change makes to a newer blade, and safer as well. Remember to look up the TPI. Don't use a low number TPI, if you're using thin stock, it might end in tears. The thinner the stock, the higher the TPI. I keep about 4-5 blades for various jobs.

Keep it safe!

Cheers,

Ian.

I like the Screwfix titan stuff its pretty cheap and generally does the intended job well.

Its not up to professional every day uses standard, but few of us need that - even if we work with such things regularly.

EVOLUTION saws are brilliant - Unlike many other manufacturers, evolution are a blade maker (based in Sheffield) who make machines to fit their blades 10/10

• RMweb Gold

Evolution are bringing out a circular saw which is fitted with its all purpose blade that cuts both wood and metal, a few reviews are cropping up on utube prior to its release

They've been doing that for years Mike.  That is exactly what I bought.  Perhaps you've seen an advert relating to a specific model which is only just being upgraded?

• RMweb Premium

I have been very happy with all the Titan tools that I have had from Screwfix/BricoDepot.

But for a circular saw, I would be very tempted to pay the extra and have a cordless. The flex does get in the way.

I tend to agree.  The Bosch to which the OP initially referred seems good value, particularly if he already has a suitable battery and charger.  My only anxiety about cordless products is that they're up to the job, but if the OP isn't intending to do a lot of work with it there probably won't be any problem in that regard.  But if there's heavy work to be done I'd go for mains operated every time.

DT

• Like 1

A lot depends on how much work you intend to do with your saw, if you only use it occasionally for DIY/modelling  jobs then the Titan will represent very good value for money. On the other hand if you intend to use it daily/weekly as part of a project or professionally then I would recommend a 'Makita'/'Bosch'/'De Walt' (life of a mains tool out bids the convenience of battery in my book any day). As mentioned a good TCT blade makes short work of anything you may pass under it. Best of luck.

Guy

• RMweb Gold

I tend to agree.  The Bosch to which the OP initially referred seems good value, particularly if he already has a suitable battery and charger.  My only anxiety about cordless products is that they're up to the job, but if the OP isn't intending to do a lot of work with it there probably won't be any problem in that regard.  But if there's heavy work to be done I'd go for mains operated every time.

DT

I respectfully suggest that when using a circular saw, take a good look at the depth of the teeth on the blade. If your cut is deeper than the teeth depth, back off the depth, so the saw teeth can clear out the sawdust. Cutting too deep can cause the blade to jam, with the saw wanting to come back at you, otherwise known as 'kickback'. Don't ever push too hard on the machine: let it work its way through. If it's getting too hard, either upgrade the blade, or alter the depth.

Finally, either mains or cordless makes no difference. Once its a rotating blade, its a rotating blade. A 12volt saw will do as much damage as a 240v saw. Look up the tutorials on correct saw usage, there are lots on Youtube & the web.

Keep it safe, folks!

Ian.

Finally, my Monday Night Moan. If you're adjusting a circular saw, disconnect it. Mains? Unplug it. Cordless? Take the battery out. You would be surprised how many chippies I know with the scars of a careless minute, and many, many more who've had a close shave. I'd much rather be a grumpy old sod, than a fingerless, grumpy old sod.....

Edited by tomparryharry

I respectfully suggest that when using a circular saw, take a good look at the depth of the teeth on the blade. If your cut is deeper than the teeth depth, back off the depth, so the saw teeth can clear out the sawdust. Cutting too deep can cause the blade to jam, with the saw wanting to come back at you, otherwise known as 'kickback'. Don't ever push too hard on the machine: let it work its way through. If it's getting too hard, either upgrade the blade, or alter the depth.

Finally, either mains or cordless makes no difference. Once its a rotating blade, its a rotating blade. A 12volt saw will do as much damage as a 240v saw. Look up the tutorials on correct saw usage, there are lots on Youtube & the web.

Keep it safe, folks!

Ian.

I would recommend a corded circular saw  for a few reasons, a battery has a limited number of charging cycles (even the most modern Lithium ion type)  after which you are faced with the cost of a replacement. (work out the cost per cut here)

An occasional/ DIY user is not subject to the same conditions/restrictions that you would come up against on a site, (this is where battery powered tools have a great advantage and best application) often 110v mains supply is hard to find - not so at home (230v here of course), also working in wet/high/confined areas make a battery tool invaluable, condition less likely to be encountered in a  domestic setting.

A 12v/18v/24v battery powered circular saw is at a distinguishable disadvantage, in my experience,over the constant speed/torque ratio characteristics associated with a mains corded tool.

Guy

Whilst in someways I do agree with the comments on both battery and and corded tools, on the other hand I have had experience which differs with said advice

I bought a Wicks SDS drill which not only had a cheap base price but had a 50% reduction, as it had a 12 month g'tee and I had a brick outhouse to take down but also plenty of concrete to break up. Thought at worst if it broke I could get a new one. Still as good as the day I bought it

I also bought a Black and Decker Lithium cordless hammer drill, so much better than my older ones, Not been found wanting

On the debit side, bought a cheap B&Q jig saw. A bad design which cuts at an angle as nothing to keep the blade straight.

If for DIY I would opt for a cordless

See below, replacing ‘blessings’ with ‘fingers’ throughout.

Count your blessings one by one

When dawn appears and day has just begun

They will light your heart with happiness

Make each hour bright and bring you gladness

Count your blessings one by one

When twilight falls and toil of day is done

And in sweet dreams they'll come again to you

If you will count your blessings each day through

Count your blessings while you may

For we are here but little time to stay

All around are hearts sincere and true

Lovely things abound just waiting for you