Skytrex Wagons

south_tyne

Hi all,

I know the quality of Skytrex stock isn't up to the standard of others and that the wagons are a little crude but what is the opinion on the 12t vans and the standard open coal wagons? I have the possibility of acquiring some secondhand and wondered whether it might be worth it if I can get them for a good price? I am not a rivet counter by any stretch of the imagination so as long as they are reasonable representations of the prototype I could be tempted!

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I know the quality of Skytrex stock isn't up to the standard of others and that the wagons are a little crude but what is the opinion on the 12t vans and the standard open coal wagons? I have the possibility of acquiring some secondhand and wondered whether it might be worth it if I can get them for a good price? I am not a rivet counter by any stretch of the imagination so as long as they are reasonable representations of the prototype I could be tempted!

David

You may need to replace the wheels especially on the coal wagons which were ropey, Peartree Models do replacements. $12 max for the wagons. the vans are better models.

You may need to replace the wheels especially on the coal wagons which were ropey, Peartree Models do replacements. $12 max for the wagons. the vans are better models.

Thanks Dava - that's handy to know. I'm a bit undecided about what to do. Whether it's worth it is debatable even if I can get a bargain, especially if I have to quite a bit of upgrading and improvement to make them usable.

David

Hi all,

David

I have a rake of Clay wagons and they are great. I found the couplings were a bit tight to begin with, but they look good and run well.

Dougal

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll see what kind of price I can get them for. The vans don't look too bad to be fair so I might be tempted to go for them.

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

I've got three or four of the 12-ton vent vans.  As you've said they're not perfect, but a good enough presentation for me.  I've also got four of their 16-ton minerals and a couple of Cawoods coal container wagons - the latter are perhaps the worst of the the types in terms of detail.

Some pics of one of the vans attached - if there is anything specific you want see, shout and I'll do some pics.  These are just quick ones off the iPhone, excuse the mess in the background!

post-16721-0-06271500-1534081817_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-81053200-1534081829_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-28312200-1534081838_thumb.jpg

post-16721-0-55674500-1534081848_thumb.jpg

And one with a bit of a distance to it.

post-16721-0-09827800-1534081873_thumb.jpg

Rich

• Like 1

Hi David,

I've got three or four of the 12-ton vent vans.  As you've said they're not perfect, but a good enough presentation for me.  I've also got four of their 16-ton minerals and a couple of Cawoods coal container wagons - the latter are perhaps the worst of the the types in terms of detail.

Some pics of one of the vans attached - if there is anything specific you want see, shout and I'll do some pics.  These are just quick ones off the iPhone, excuse the mess in the background!

attachicon.gifIMG_8811.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8812.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8813.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8814.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8815.JPG

Rich

Gently squeeze the coupling chain links with a pair of long-nose pliers to get the sides parallel and banish the bathplug look. 

• RMweb Gold

Gently squeeze the coupling chain links with a pair of long-nose pliers to get the sides parallel and banish the bathplug look. 

Yes that needs doing, also the chain needs blackening!

I agree with Chris,

and factor in replacement wheels sooner or later.

Best

Simon

These run fine and don't appear to have any problems  -  although on the test track (pictured) its only 13ft up and down.  Whats the issues with the wheels, do the cease be round??  :scratchhead:

Rich

Rich,

There have been quite a few reports re the wheels.

I’ve only limited personal experience, a pal bought one, and the wheels are round, but no longer perpendicular to the axles, so the btb varies as the axles rotate! I think they were a soft-ish plastic, and they have distorted with time. I haven’t helped him change them yet, but iirc, they weren’t turning very easily either.

If they last, great, if not, it’s easy to buy replacements.

Best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Rich,

There have been quite a few reports re the wheels.

I’ve only limited personal experience, a pal bought one, and the wheels are round, but no longer perpendicular to the axles, so the btb varies as the axles rotate! I think they were a soft-ish plastic, and they have distorted with time. I haven’t helped him change them yet, but iirc, they weren’t turning very easily either.

If they last, great, if not, it’s easy to buy replacements.

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks for that - not heard anything about any of that, so its useful to know.  Mine haven't had a huge amount of use, but having just checked them they run freely and there's no catching in anyway.  If I start getting problems tho, I'll remember to check that first.  Should be relatively easy to change the wheel sets, looks like they will pop out without too much trouble.  Is it Slaters for replacements?

Rich

Again thanks to all for replying and for being so helpful, it is much appreciated. Sounds like the problems with the wheels are fairly widespread. I suppose for £20 or so you cannot expect the world mind!

Hi David,

I've got three or four of the 12-ton vent vans. As you've said they're not perfect, but a good enough presentation for me. I've also got four of their 16-ton minerals and a couple of Cawoods coal container wagons - the latter are perhaps the worst of the the types in terms of detail.

Some pics of one of the vans attached - if there is anything specific you want see, shout and I'll do some pics. These are just quick ones off the iPhone, excuse the mess in the background!

IMG_8811.JPG

IMG_8812.JPG

IMG_8813.JPG

IMG_8814.JPG

IMG_8815.JPG

Rich

Hi Rich,

Cheers that is fantastic. Thank you for taking the time to snap those vans for me, exactly what I needed to see. They don't look too bad, a reasonable representation as you say and might be a good way of building my stock list for a reasonable cost.

Thanks again,

David

Hi Rich,

Cheers that is fantastic. Thank you for taking the time to snap those vans for me, exactly what I needed to see. They don't look too bad, a reasonable representation as you say and might be a good way of building my stock list for a reasonable cost.

Thanks again,

David

But will they still be a reasonable cost after a set of 7mm wagon wheels are added at £9.50 compared to a Dapol van - to Lionheart standards at £42.50 from Tower?

Paul

• Like 1

But will they still be a reasonable cost after a set of 7mm wagon wheels are added at £9.50 compared to a Dapol van - to Lionheart standards at £42.50 from Tower?

Paul

Very true Paul, I think you're right. I am also one of those folk who would rather have two high spec models than five lesser ones; quality over quantity....

I have 6 skytrex wagons (5 clay and a Bauxite van), all of them have their origional wheels and couplings and they do not look out of place with any of my other stock.

I have never needed to change the wheels. I'm not sure why this is suggested. They work and look fine to me.

Dougal.