RMweb

Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

1 hour ago, georgeT said:

Got a job on there me ole mate, but it will be much better and brighter when done...

Thanks mate, Not heard back from the Chippie, so I guess I will have to install the Stairs myself. :o

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Donw said:

A screw gun would be handy for that job

Don

Yep Don, I do have a Drill / Screwdiver, but it's a pain keep on changing over when doing the long screws and having to pilot the hole first on 3 x 2 CLS for example.

I did buy 600 screws this morning for fitting the hardboard.:o

Andy

What you need is a drill/driver and an Impact Driver. 

The you use a combi drill/countersink in the drill to bore the hole and countersink at the same time and the impact driver to pop the screw in and do it up. 

It may cost a bit but you will save so much time

Paul R

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Yep Don, I do have a Drill / Screwdiver, but it's a pain keep on changing over when doing the long screws and having to pilot the hole first on 3 x 2 CLS for example.

I did buy 600 screws this morning for fitting the hardboard.:o

The ones I use come from my local (just round the corner) builders merchant they are Reisser Cutter screw and dont need a pilot hole. I can put a 90mm screw through two 4x2 s with no pilot hole admittedly I use a 24v cordless drill, but the small cordless screwdriver can put a 50mm screw in.

Don

• Like 3

The ones I use come from my local (just round the corner) builders merchant they are Reisser Cutter screw and dont need a pilot hole. I can put a 90mm screw through two 4x2 s with no pilot hole admittedly I use a 24v cordless drill, but the small cordless screwdriver can put a 50mm screw in.

Don

Yeah, same type of screws I use Don,  the 3.5 x 40's for the Ply etc. they are brilliant, especially for Baseboards, but it was just the 4 inch ones into the bigger timbers for the frames where my B & D 18V Drill struggles a bit sometimes., and the pilot helps preserve the battery life.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, pwr said:

Andy

What you need is a drill/driver and an Impact Driver. 

The you use a combi drill/countersink in the drill to bore the hole and countersink at the same time and the impact driver to pop the screw in and do it up. 

It may cost a bit but you will save so much time

Paul R

Thanks Paul, but time's not the issue here, but cash is, so keeping it as cost effective as I can. Yes it would make the job easier and quicker, but hey ho, timber is dear enough as it is.

• RMweb Gold

If I find myself needing to drill first and screw (the last time was putting in 6mm coachscrews) I used the old corded drill to make the pilot holes and the cordless with a hex head fitting to put the screws in. As you say changing the bit can be a real pain when you have a lot to do. 

I find myself using concrete screws or lightning bolts these days so I dont even need to bother with rawl plugs.

Don 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Donw said:

If I find myself needing to drill first and screw (the last time was putting in 6mm coachscrews) I used the old corded drill to make the pilot holes and the cordless with a hex head fitting to put the screws in. As you say changing the bit can be a real pain when you have a lot to do. 

I find myself using concrete screws or lightning bolts these days so I dont even need to bother with rawl plugs.

Don 

Concrete screws are a brilliant invention.  I use them all the time.

Paul r

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, georgeT said:

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT ? There are plenty of other chippys around...

Yeah, I suppose your right mate, but no one seems to want to do small jobs these days. Unless its a major job they can't even be assed to come around to quote or have the courtesy to ring back and say they don't want the work.

The hole is there, the stairs will arrive Friday in kit form, it then just needs cutting to length and lifting up, but of course by Friday we will be back in lockdown, so it wont happen.

This is the Staircase I've ordered.

image.png.1a28208601163a6a6279cf857e5612e3.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You will need some help with the stairs not just the moving them about but also to hold them in place while you ix them. I assume the side wall is masonary that is where I would use lightning bolts or concrete screws. You need an SDS Drill as they are so much quicker to drill into masonary. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If you have to do it your self this is what I would do.

mark out where the stairs should finish on the floor and fix down onto the floor  a piece of scrap wood across  to stop the stairs slipping forward while you fix it. 

Drill a couple of hole through the underside of the side piece against the wall in preparation.

I am not sure how it fits at the top does it just fit against a joist or does it also rest on the wall?

make sure it is ready to take it at that end.  

I would place a bit of 4x2 across the opening on the joists above  have a piece of rope handy. 

Lift the stairs up and push the top trough the opening . then lower it into place the cross piece on the floor should stop it sliding out too far.

Once in place tie the rope around the 4x2 and one of the treads this will hold the stairs while you fix it so when underneath drilling holes it does come down on you.

Drill through the holes you have already made into the wall and then I would use lightning bolts  these are hex headed a couple of taps with a hammer to get them in and then use a spanner or preferable the rachet socket you probably have to screw them home.

Apologies if I have gone of a bit but the biggest danger is just placing it in place going underneath to drill and then accidently nudging it only to have it come down on top of you.  I am lucky Marion may be small but is a great help at times like that.

Don  

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Andy

The rules don't prohibit tradespeople from coming to your home to carry our work. We had a new kitchen installed and loads of other work during the last lockdown.  

We are also having a plumber come next week and don't expect any issues

Paul R

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Donw said:

You will need some help with the stairs not just the moving them about but also to hold them in place while you ix them. I assume the side wall is masonary that is where I would use lightning bolts or concrete screws. You need an SDS Drill as they are so much quicker to drill into masonary. 

Don

8 minutes ago, Donw said:

If you have to do it your self this is what I would do.

mark out where the stairs should finish on the floor and fix down onto the floor  a piece of scrap wood across  to stop the stairs slipping forward while you fix it. 

Drill a couple of hole through the underside of the side piece against the wall in preparation.

I am not sure how it fits at the top does it just fit against a joist or does it also rest on the wall?

make sure it is ready to take it at that end.  

I would place a bit of 4x2 across the opening on the joists above  have a piece of rope handy. 

Lift the stairs up and push the top trough the opening . then lower it into place the cross piece on the floor should stop it sliding out too far.

Once in place tie the rope around the 4x2 and one of the treads this will hold the stairs while you fix it so when underneath drilling holes it does come down on you.

Drill through the holes you have already made into the wall and then I would use lightning bolts  these are hex headed a couple of taps with a hammer to get them in and then use a spanner or preferable the rachet socket you probably have to screw them home.

Apologies if I have gone of a bit but the biggest danger is just placing it in place going underneath to drill and then accidently nudging it only to have it come down on top of you.  I am lucky Marion may be small but is a great help at times like that.

Don  

Cheers Don, Some great advice and helpful tips there.

Luckily the floor is wood so I can fit the floor brackets that come in the kit direct to the floor, I will also do as you have suggested and add a baton across the floor to stop it sliding out and back down on me.

It will rest against the wall, which is stud work and plasterboard, but I have a piece of Conti Board that will be screwed into the CLS studwork batons behind the Plasterboard so that I have a flat solid area for the stairs to rest on. I will also be able to anchor the top brackets on the Conti Board as well. 

1944927990_StairwaytoHeaven.png.72850a74846954c4883ef7b3641fc262.png

104208529_IMG_1699-Copy.JPG.f6755a83754d07f527858a15683d36ce.JPG

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, pwr said:

Andy

The rules don't prohibit tradespeople from coming to your home to carry our work. We had a new kitchen installed and loads of other work during the last lockdown.  

We are also having a plumber come next week and don't expect any issues

Paul R

Cheers Paul, that's helpful.:good:

• Like 1

Before Lunch I managed to get 5 of the 16 panels fitted, it may not be as neat as I wanted, but it's better than it was.

TBH I found it hard work trying to lift the 6ftx 2ft panels and screw them up at the same time. My head came in handy for supporting them whilst the 2 hands maneuvered into position and fired in a couple of screws to support before doing the rest of the screws. 

I have spoken to Mr Chippy again, and he is coming around on Saturday morning for a look to see what's involved. I will probably let him do the rest of the Hardboard panels as well.

The 20M roll of Super Bright LED's are due to arrive tomorrow, so that should brighten it up a bit up there as we.

Here's a pic with just the spot lamp I was working with this morning.

IMG_3144.JPG.e6806d6c2d34a3c3b1990fbfedc16909.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Before Lunch I managed to get 5 of the 16 panels fitted, it may not be as neat as I wanted, but it's better than it was.

TBH I found it hard work trying to lift the 6ftx 2ft panels and screw them up at the same time. My head came in handy for supporting them whilst the 2 hands maneuvered into position and fired in a couple of screws to support before doing the rest of the screws. 

I have spoken to Mr Chippy again, and he is coming around on Saturday morning for a look to see what's involved. I will probably let him do the rest of the Hardboard panels as well.

The 20M roll of Super Bright LED's are due to arrive tomorrow, so that should brighten it up a bit up there as we.

You dont hang about do you.

Don

Edited by Donw
typo
  • Funny 3

You dont hang about do you.

Don

Cheers Don, I will now, had a chat with George @georgeT earlier and he convinced me to leaving for a younger fit lad, rather than knock myself out trying to be cleaver. So it may be several weeks now before much more movement.:spiteful:

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, gismorail said:

Cracking progress Andy so lucky that the assess hatch was of the larger type saves a lot of mess .......looking forward to seeing it running ......Christmas Day possible :crazy_mini:

Hi Martin, Yes should be up and running for Christmas, but probably not allowed up there on the day itself, although we probably won't be seeing anybody.

I see your address is still showing as Carrog so I'm guessing you've still not moved mate.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, pwr said:

The rules don't prohibit tradespeople from coming to your home to carry our work

All of my neighbours have noisy work done throughout the time I have been stuck at home.

As a result my amplifier has slowly increased from 1 to 11.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

All of my neighbours have noisy work done throughout the time I have been stuck at home.

As a result my amplifier has slowly increased from 1 to 11.

Just crank it UP.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

So what did you do after lunch??????

I hope you're not slipping into LJ mode :beee:

• Funny 1