Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

I am definitely in favour of early retirement. I was coming up to 50  and was offered voluntary redundancy and pension from 50. I did do a bit of self employed work when I needed extra funds but not full time.

Don

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Donw said:

I am definitely in favour of early retirement. I was coming up to 50  and was offered voluntary redundancy and pension from 50. I did do a bit of self employed work when I needed extra funds but not full time.

Don

I my case its definitely happening. My job finishes at the end of April. I have had my pay off calculations and the wife and I have done the sums and its doable. Nor sure if she is going to leave at the same time. Financially we would be much better off if she continued to work but she is still 7 years off state pension although her bank pension is payable from April 2022.

Its all about quality of life and as you say Don I can always find some short term work for an engine or two!

I wouldn't be surprised though if they have me back on consultancy work after I have gone.

Paul R

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Donw said:

Don

Early 'retirement' from NHS cuts at 53 but had no idea then that 22 years teaching in one way or another would follow - one of the lucky guys who was privileged to enjoy every job he had.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 5

Like many of the above I also got the chance to take early retirement [52] in fact they paid me off to leave leave as a sweetener............................................. but after several months of golf, rennervating the house, a couple of holidays I got bored.   I was approached to run a silk-screen printer manufacturer to run his factory business as he wanted to wander off snow and water skiing?  :jester:

I did this for 5 years including setting up his once a year international print shows which is how he got new business, only needed one or two sales to keep the factory going.   Las Vegas, Munich, Kansas, Madrid it was an enjoyable time.   But all good things came to a mutually agreed end when he wanted more of me and I wanted less work...................................... Did I happily retire for good then, well no.  

My brother-in-law asked if I could help him out with his H&S systems preparing the necessary paper work and on site work descriptions for the clients, without this we couldn't enter the sites.   So what was supposed to be 6 months while he got somebody permanent actually lasted for 4 years.

At last at 61 I retired ............................................ well errrrr no.   Just like before I got a little bored the house was complete, i had my 20Fter garden man cave, didn't want to do endless holidays, a couple of golf days a week kept me happy. 

So I took on some under cover work, visiting, filming, writing reports on big businesses that exist in our high street and business parks.  That was really good fun, all though going for a P*** while still wearing a live camera needed some carefull editing.

I did this for about 18 months then i stopped working for good yaaay.   :good::sungum:

I had noticed several acquaintance's/friends had retired then boom only lasted a year at the most I was determined I was not going to go early, so far so good.  Between my electric bike, my model railway, my younger than me wife I'm happy.

So when you retire don't do nothing keep active, test your brain and enjoy your free time.

Best 

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3

AP just going back to an earlier topic which surface mount point motors did you use.    After seeing what you did I'm thinking as and when I need to replace any of mine I'll do the something similar as my aged joints are finding crawling about under the boards is a pain.

Thank you.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

AP just going back to an earlier topic which surface mount point motors did you use.    After seeing what you did I'm thinking as and when I need to replace any of mine I'll do the something similar as my aged joints are finding crawling about under the boards is a pain.

Thank you.

Hi Barnaby, Their Peco PL11, mate.

image.png.33d637d6392b0268782b4338d568259a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Really Andy I thought the P11 wasn't man enough to throw over on 0 gauge.  I suppose with a beefy CDU it's ok right or do you run yours on 16V ac?

Another hour another question.

Cheers 

Strait 16V AC, but they sort of work sometimes on 12V DC. No CDU.

I'll do Video tomorrow for you.:good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Thank you.

Unless you have Hornby track (unlikely) do not use Hornby - they do not fit over Peco point 'sliders'.  Gaugemaster also do surface mounted - look a bit bigger than Peco.

Forgot, you are running O gauge.

Edited by PeterBB
O-gauge comment added
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Wow that's masterful Andy.  Those PL11's are well hidden and to me seem to be quietened down a lot, certainly some thing I can cope with.

Thanks for that it has given me some expectation of a successful switch over from under to on top of the base boards.  I may not wait until i get a failure of my Bluepoint mechanical switch units and go right ahead now.

Just to confirm they are being operated by 16Vac?

Thanks I look forward to any more inciteful point switching videos you may want to put up, oh yeah. 

Best

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

Wow that's masterful Andy.  Those PL11's are well hidden and to me seem to be quietened down a lot, certainly some thing I can cope with.

Thanks for that it has given me some expectation of a successful switch over from under to on top of the base boards.  I may not wait until i get a failure of my Bluepoint mechanical switch units and go right ahead now.

Just to confirm they are being operated by 16Vac?

Thanks I look forward to any more inciteful point switching videos you may want to put up, oh yeah. 

Best

Yes Barnaby, it's 16V AC off the back of a std Gaugemaster controller.:good:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tender said:

Hi Andy, I'm impressed by the sound of the 08, which sound chip/file and speaker do you use?

Hi Ray, There is ONLY ONE mate, IMHO, It's a Paul Chetter Zimo Chip and Sound, and in the Blue one is one of David / @Jintyman from Towyn's big round speakers. The Black one is another PC Sound file, (he does 3 different versions now I believe), but that has one of David's Cube Speakers for a more varied sound.  It would be worth contacting David. 

Also with Paul's the lights work in the correct way and don't just go on/off, but fade in and out just as a Tungston light would have done. 

The Shunting lights are on a different function from the top light.

F2 is the active brake, so just like dipping the clutch in a car, it will coast until you apply the brake.

Good luck and enjoy.

All the best to you and Polly.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1