The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Cycle path etiquette - a question for cyclists.

Rivercider

In recent years I have done a lot of walking. If I am on a public road with no pavement I generally walk on the right to face on-coming traffic.

When walking along a cycle route which side should I walk?

I should add that I am asking about rural routes, not urban routes that are often marked. I don't cycle myself so wondered if either side is more helpful, I am assuming cyclists generally pass one another on the left. 

cheers

• RMweb Gold

I use shared paths as a walker and cyclist. As a walker I feel it is easier for me to be aware and move aside for cyclists. As a cyclist I will always stop and make way for horses or be very careful if overtaking.

Generally speaking though, common sense, courtesy and good manners work wonders.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Premium

Yep, agree with Nick - I'd walk on the right. As a cyclist I'd also slow down before passing people, and wouldn't be remotely perturbed if they were on the left and I had to go around them, so I think ultimately it's your choice, no right or wrong.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd say walk on the right, for exactly the same reason as you do on the road - so you can see oncoming vehicles - even more important with bikes as they're likely to be quieter than cars...

On a shared off-road route I would do the opposite and walk on the left, so the cyclist (assuming they cycle on the left!) overtake me on the right, following normal road rules--I do get a tad annoyed when cycling if an oncoming cyclist is on the 'wrong side' of the path!

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yep, agree with Nick - I'd walk on the right. As a cyclist I'd also slow down before passing people, and wouldn't be remotely perturbed if they were on the left and I had to go around them, so I think ultimately it's your choice, no right or wrong.

On a shared off-road route I would do the opposite and walk on the left, so the cyclist (assuming they cycle on the left!) overtake me on the right, following normal road rules--I do get a tad annoyed when cycling if an oncoming cyclist is on the 'wrong side' of the path!

cheers,

Keith

I've just checked the Highway Code, rules 13 and 62 apply - but there's no guidance as to which side to use, merely that pedestrians should "Take extra care" and cyclists should "Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary."

• Like 1

The problem with 'the cycle path' in the UK is a lack of understanding of its purpose. Having a foot both sides of the North sea, the other one in The Netherlands, I know how cycle paths are to be used. Sedately. For the purpose of travelling from one point to another. Not for racing, stunting, or otherwise fooling around, any more than  the roads are. This message does not seem to have got home in the UK.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's always useful to have a bell or similar on a bike to warn others of your approach - especially peds from behind.

But - how many cyclists do you know that have a bell or similar audible warning on their bike?

I don't know of any - including myself in that as well...………

(My mate goes "ding-ding" in a loud voice)

• Like 4

Advice to anyone contemplating walking along the supposedly shared-use Camel Trail between Padstow, Wadebridge and Bodmin - DON'T; especially during school holidays !!

We were in Wadebridge this morning, and the literal hoards of intending cyclists, queueing at the cycle-hire outlets and milling around at the start of the Wadebridge - Padstow section, spoke volumes of cycling-newbie parents with their equally inexperienced / indisciplined offspring, moving en-masse in opposing directions, with no regard for pedestrians whatsoever.

Ill tempers and minor injuries all round are the usual outcome - roll on the start of the Autumn school term !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

PS. How much more enjoyable for all concerned if it had remained a scenic railway branch-line !!

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3

It's always useful to have a bell or similar on a bike to warn others of your approach - especially peds from behind.

But - how many cyclists do you know that have a bell or similar audible warning on their bike?

There is an information leaflet for the Grand Western Canal (from Tiverton) that includes a 'code' for canal path use.

It encourages cyclists to give 'two tings' as a warning of approach (though not as a right or authority to proceed).

In turn pedestrians on hearing 'two tings' are requested to move to whichever side of the path is easiest to allow cyclists to pass. 

It also asks cyclists and pedestrians to be courteous to one another.Which all seems quite sensible.

Personally (like BoD above) I will always move clear for cyclists where I can, and never get upset by 'two tings', or a shout ahead from a cyclist approaching from behind, which is better than a fast but silent approach.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

This is the bell on my road bike. It's a Knog OI

post-1036-0-02959200-1534939364.jpg

• Like 1

... I will always move clear for cyclists where I can, and never get upset by 'two tings', or a shout ahead from a cyclist approaching from behind, which is better than a fast but silent approach.

We tried this on the Camel Trail when we first moved to Cornwall - if you want to take all day to get from Wadebridge to Padstow, and enjoy extended periods looking at the surrounding scenery whilst the two opposing files of cycles pass you - it works fine !!

Don't expect any acknowledgement or thanks from the cyclists - they haven't even registered your presence !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We tried this on the Camel Trail when we first moved to Cornwall - if you want to take all day to get from Wadebridge to Padstow, and enjoy extended periods looking at the surrounding scenery whilst the two opposing files of cycles pass you - it works fine !!

Don't expect any acknowledgement or thanks from the cyclists - they haven't even registered your presence !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I will always acknowledge anyone that aids my cycling progress - usually with a cheery "thanks" and a wave/thumbs up.

Unless it's somebody who has obviously missed the "No Pedestrians" sign on a dedicated mountain bike trail.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks for the tip John. That route is one I would like to walk one day. 

I am fortunate that being semi-retired I can plan holidays to avoid midsummer and bank holidays and make visits at quieter times.

I must say I generally get some acknowledgment from most cyclists, as well as a greeting from many walkers I meet along the way,

cheers

Me! Most pedestrians appreciate the warning but you get the odd one who will hurl abuse. I always slow down when overtaking, maybe not quite so much if walkers are facing me unless they are otherwise distracted or have small children or dogs.

• Like 1

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The problem seems to be greater when there are a large number of 'non-cyclists' on hired bikes.

I have found “ting ting” from a bell just does not register with most walkers. Even when I slow down and ting ting a number of times most people seem to be completely unaware. I now use a horn which is so much more noticed, and as a bonus it amuses any little ones who might be walking. I don’t think it matters one jot which side you walk or pass just so long as walkers keep in a straight line and cyclists ride with due caution when passing walkers, especially if the walking party has very young children who may be unpredictable. Cyclists should also say thanks to walkers who have made room for them to pass. Cyclists have a duty of care when it comes to passing walkers.

My real dislike is dog walkers who have no regard for cyclists. 1. They have great long leads which makes it impossible to pass and they don’t draw the lead in when cyclists are approaching. 2. Too many dog owners have no control over their unleashed mutts and they end up chasing the cyclist. I have been bitten once in this way and with no apology from the dog owner. I’m tempted just to kick the head on any yappie dog that chases me but then the owner would get upset and it’s not the dogs fault anyway. It’s usually stupid little yappie dogs who can’t go very fast that chase cyclists so nowadays I keep going at a pace where they can just about keep up with me and see how far I can get them from their owners. I do this in the forlorn hope that owners might actually think about training their dogs. It isn’t all that difficult and dogs are much better pets for being trained and having discipline. I know there are many responsible dog owners but there are far too many irresponsible owners. I do like dogs and have kept my own in the past but I always made sure they obeyed basic commands. Sorry for going a little off tack.

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have found “ting ting” from a bell just does not register with most walkers. Even when I slow down and ting ting a number of times most people seem to be completely unaware.

Especially if they are on their phone or have headphones/earplugs in listening to whatever (further opens up container made of tin plated steel with beings with long slimy cylindrical bodies inside...……)

• RMweb Gold

My real dislike is dog walkers who have no regard for cyclists. 1. They have great long leads which makes it impossible to pass and they don’t draw the lead in when cyclists are approaching. 2. Too many dog owners have no control over their unleashed mutts and they end up chasing the cyclist. I have been bitten once in this way and with no apology from the dog owner. I’m tempted just to kick the head on any yappie dog that chases me but then the owner would get upset and it’s not the dogs fault anyway. It’s usually stupid little yappie dogs who can’t go very fast that chase cyclists so nowadays I keep going at a pace where they can just about keep up with me and see how far I can get them from their owners. I do this in the forlorn hope that owners might actually think about training their dogs. It isn’t all that difficult and dogs are much better pets for being trained and having discipline. I know there are many responsible dog owners but there are far too many irresponsible owners. I do like dogs and have kept my own in the past but I always made sure they obeyed basic commands. Sorry for going a little off tack.

It's not just cyclists that the irresponsible dog owners have no respect for, it's pedestrians as well - My wife has a phobia of large dogs, and many of their owners just let them run around with no control. I think many of them are utterly unaware of how powerful a large animal can be.