BR Loco-hauled Stock Green - Halfords Spraycan?

Due to my age and caring for Mary, I am bringing my 46 year old painting & lining business to a close. With no wish to buy tins of cellulose paint at this stage of the game, I recall someone posted a list of Halford spraycans that were close matches to Phoenix-Precision railway paints.

Does an member know if there is a close match to BR(S.Region) Loco Hauled Stock Green in the Halford range?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Goddard.

(Spray Painting & finishing Est. 1972)

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Due to my age and caring for Mary, I am bringing my 46 year old painting & lining business to a close. With no wish to buy tins of cellulose paint at this stage of the game, I recall someone posted a list of Halford spraycans that were close matches to Phoenix-Precision railway paints.

Does an member know if there is a close match to BR(S.Region) Loco Hauled Stock Green in the Halford range?

Thanks in advance,

Larry Goddard.

Larry,

I can't fulfil the specifics of you enquiry, but I do keep and update a copy of a list that was posted several years ago; I cannot personally vouch for the accuracy of most of the matches - but it's a start.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

CAR SPRAY PAINT MATCHES

CR steam loco Peugeot Royal Blue

CR dark blue Rover Midnight Blue

LBSCR Stroudley ochre BMC Tan

LBSCR umber Vauxhall Brazil Brown

LNWR coach plum lower panels Daewoo Dark Red

LNWR coach bluey-white upper panels Daewoo Casablanca White

LYR coach upper panels Plastikote Nut Brown

LYR coach plum lower panels Daewoo Dark Red

MR red Rover Damask Red, Vauxhall Burgundy Red, Ford Burgundy Red, Triumph Damson

NSR maroon Vauxhall Gambia Red

NER coach red Vauxhall Gambia Red

SDJR blue Rover Midnight Blue

Pullman coach brown Rover Russet Brown, Triumph Maple

GWR loco green Rover Brooklands Green, Ford Laurel Green

GWR coach brown Rover Russet Brown, Triumph Maple

GWR coach cream Rover Primula Yellow, Ford Sierra Beige

LMS red Rover Damask Red, Vauxhall Burgundy Red, Ford Burgundy Red, Triumph Damson

LMS Coronation Blue Rover Pageant Mid-Blue, Peugeot Royal Blue

LNER garter blue / BR diesel blue, slightly more blue & less green Ford Fjord Blue

LNER garter blue VW Pargas Blue

SR dark olive green Land Rover Coniston Green

SR EMU Green Jaguar British Racing Green

BR loco green Rover Brooklands Green, Ford Laurel Green

BR diesel light green band Ford Highland Green

BR coach carmine Ford Rosso Red, Vauxhall Carmine Red, Alfa Romeo AR530

BR coach cream Vauxhall Gazelle Beige, Talbot Jonquil

BR coach cream (well worn) Peugeot Antelope Beige

BR coach green Rover Brooklands Green

BR loco / coach maroon Rover Damask Red, Vauxhall Burgundy Red, Ford Burgundy Red, Triumph Damson

BR diesel blue VW Pargas Blue

BR steam loco blue Peugeot Royal Blue

BR loco yellow warning panel Vauxhall Mustard Yellow

BR EMU Green Jaguar British Racing Green, Rover Brooklands Green

BR wagon grey VW EISGRAUEN KJ94

BR wagon bauxite ALFA ROMEO BRUNO DE37

GT3 Chocolate Rover Maple

GT3 Chassis Green Land Rover Coniston Green

Roof grey Halford's Plastic Bumper

Early DMU green BS 381c 226 Middle Brunswick Green

Later DMU green BS 381c 224 Deep Bronze Green

Thanks for that John. I will have a look at Halfords Rover Brooklands Green.

At the end of the list, there is mention of green for DMU's.  Personally I would choose Deep Bronze green for early DMU's. This shade is quite widely used by pro painters for GWR/BR steam locos. The lighter green DMU's were more akin to the malachite EMU's seen at London Road on Glossop services and Oxford Road on South Manchester services. It was very utility against the classier lined out dark green EMU and DMU's 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that John. I will have a look at Halfords Rover Brooklands Green.

At the end of the list, there is mention of green for DMU's.  Personally I would choose Deep Bronze green for early DMU's. This shade is quite widely used by pro painters for GWR/BR steam locos. The lighter green DMU's were more akin to the malachite EMU's seen at London Road on Glossop services and Oxford Road on South Manchester services. It was very utility against the classier lined out dark green EMU and DMU's 

Larry,

I am dubious about the quoted Halfords Rover Brooklands Green - principally as it it is also quoted for other matches that I would not agree as being the same - or even similar - in the prototype.

See my PM for my preferred option.

Regards,

John.

• RMweb Gold

I will try and dig out a photo of the Brooklands Green, as I have previously used it on a couple of GW locos. I have found that playing with the primer colour has helped get a closer match. Though I am still not happy with the shade of green for an ex works GW engine. Once I get home from work I will do a couple of photos outside, but for now this is the best I can offer (with very poor lighting that is probably making it look more towards a yellow tint)

blogentry-54-0-48672100-1518279934.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder

For GWR/BR locos, I use Deep Bronze Green. It would definitely not be appropriate for coaching stock.

Some eight years ago I disposed of most of my cellulose railway paints, some unique because they had been mixed to trustworthy patterns. For instance, Ross Pochin had prepared the Furness Railway red pattern before the war and I had to match it. BR(S) Coaching stock green would have been a piece of cake when I had the tinter colours.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks in advance,

Larry Goddard.

Hi Larry

Sorry to hear that you are closing your business, but as your post indicates there is something more important.

This afternoon, I dipped into a drawer I rarely use and looked through the accumulated 'colour' patterns. There was a tin lid marked :-

31st May 1961, Valspar new multi-unit stock green BR Spec.39 Item 14R shade Ref F2266.

The green is quite dark and is far less blue than the malachite or blue-ish loco-stock green we see amongst the model paint ranges. It has been scanned but it doesn't really tell you anything. If it was applied to a 4mm coach, folk would think it was Maunsell olive....

post-6680-0-44016600-1535126510.jpg

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon, I dipped into a drawer I rarely use and looked through the accumulated 'colour' patterns. There was a tin lid marked :-

31st May 1961, Valspar new multi-unit stock green BR Spec.39 Item 14R shade Ref F2266.

The green is quite dark and is far less blue than the malachite or blue-ish loco-stock green we see amongst the model paint ranges. It has been scanned but it doesn't really tell you anything. If it was applied to a 4mm coach, folk would think it was Maunsell olive....

attachicon.gifWEB BR coach green.jpg

Larry,

I know that it is asking a lot, given your current circumstances, but is there ANY possibility that you could at sometime have your paint patterns analysed on one of those optical shade identifying machines that car factors use to match paint?

A published list of colour codes for railway paints would be invaluable - any car factor could then supply rattle cans filled with paint to match your paint patterns.

In due course, do you think that this might be a possibility?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnR said:

Has anyone come up with an answer to which Halfords colour is closest to BR(S) stock Green?

Probably better to ask this question on another thread; say, the General questions one? There are some idea elsewhere but lost in the hordes of posts, however the SR section of      http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/344-special-interests-uk-prototype/    is quite helpful.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• 2 years later...

Any further ideas on BR (SR) Loco hauled coaching stock green equivalents from Automotive spray cans.?  Please.    I had 4 Hornby Maunsels for Christmas  and they are all different shades of green.

I see some companies are able to match virtually anything but its finding something for them to match which confuses me.    As for shade of paint I saw a BR Carmine /Cream coach at Buckfastleigh partly in shade and the shade red was darker than Hornby Maroon and the sunlight shade brighter than Hornby Carmine...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DCB said:

Any further ideas on BR (SR) Loco hauled coaching stock green equivalents from Automotive spray cans.?  Please.    I had 4 Hornby Maunsels for Christmas  and they are all different shades of green.

I see some companies are able to match virtually anything but its finding something for them to match which confuses me.    As for shade of paint I saw a BR Carmine /Cream coach at Buckfastleigh partly in shade and the shade red was darker than Hornby Maroon and the sunlight shade brighter than Hornby Carmine...

Not found any decent Standard Halfords match. Sorry. If you contact the Author of Trainspotting at Finsbury Square (Layout Topics), he has just painted a Bulleid Comet build (that he did) for me and it is top notch. Possibly Railmatch or Precision?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
add another Brand of paint
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Not found any decent Standard Halfords match. Sorry. If you contact the Author of Trainspotting at Finsbury Square (Layout Topics), he has just painted a Bulleid Comet build (that he did) for me and it is top notch. Possibly Railmatch or Precision?

Phil

Hello, Author of Trainspotting at Finsbury Square here!

Here is the Bulleid coach that I built for Phil from a Comet kit.  I painted it with Railmatch BR Southern Stock Green, from their aerosol, having first sprayed it with Halford's Grey Etching Primer.  Followed by a couple of coats of Johnson's Klear varnish, brushed on.

It is lightly weathered, but not on the sides.

The photos were taken 2 minutes apart but in different directions - interesting how that makes the colour look different!

IMG_4328.jpeg.57fe5603996b98152b00882a30a4f7ff.jpeg

IMG_4330.jpeg.f5bcb8b27aef28359e8c89f11925a229.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1