RMweb

Andrew33103

hi all im looking at doing a model of class 20088 in triple grey livery with snow plows.

does anyone know if it had plows front and back or just on the cab end and at one point in its life did it have coal sector markings on the cabs.

if anyone could also put up any pics if they have them that would be handy.

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

I just looked on Flickr and in 1989, 20088 was in triple grey but no sector markings and didn’t have snowploughs at the cab end but by 1991, it had gained a 3 piece set, still in triple grey and with no sector markings, 20088 under the cab windows, 088 on the front under the drivers window just above the solebar. I doubt it had snowploughs on the other end.

• RMweb Gold

20088 was the only member to receive triple grey originally, I'm pretty sure either a preserved one or privately owned one has work Trainload Metals livery fairly recently, although only the repeater markings an not the full size sector symbol.

*edit*  Found a photo and there is 20031 in Coal livery, and it has, what looks to be an originally sized HAA logo applied

https://www.englishelectric.org.uk/p821508223/h25813c87#h25813c87

But I'm sure there was a metals one too

Edited by Stuey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I never knew why 20088 was so painted, it was clear by that time they weren’t going to last.

I used to see it regularly around Warrington and Springs Branch.

Never saw it with snowploughs, and even an odd ball it wasn’t that heavily orientated to rail tours either as I recall... it was largely just another 20, unlike the Green pair, 20030/64 which had more of a following, but they never showed up on the west side of the Pennines.

There’s a picture of it here with ploughs, at the cab end, looks like only that end. No idea how long it carried them for, but I saw it regularly and it never had them them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64215236@N03/7250724136/

https://geeceesfotts.smugmug.com/Trains/CLASS-20/

It would suggest maybe the first months after it was painted.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

I never knew why 20088 was so painted, it was clear by that time they weren’t going to last.

It was repainted after a collision repair when the top of the cab was totalled when it hit a coal loading chute at a colliery in 1988 (I think).

In March 1988 20077 was damaged at bickershaw colliery. It wasn’t long off an overhaul. It was taken to Doncaster works who basically rebuilt 20088 (which was stored withdrawn)using the parts of 20077 such as bogies and power unit. It needed painting and as rail freight red stripe had been superseded it was just painted in the sector livery. No idea why it didn’t have decals though