Davidson Parkway: WCML 1980s - 2000s OO Gauge

Patriot87003

• RMweb Gold

Excellent looking layout you have there, is that the new 87?

Cheers

Simon

Many thanks for the comments. Yes ... I’ve bought one of each of the new Hornby Class 87s in BR Blue and IC Swallow livery. Really impressed with them both - very smooth runners and I’ve increased my pre-order of the Virgin liveried version due next year.

I hope that Hornby announce a few additional liveries at some stage so I can retire the Limby versions to the display shelf. I already have too many Class 87s already! When the shed was in the planning stages, I got a bit carried away with EBay purchases and painting/detailing the Lima/Limby versions ... watch out for pics of both 87023 and 87029 soon ...

You cannot have too many 87's, go for all 36! Although I only have Virgin liveried 87's on Dallam, I may repaint and detail a few up to run a few late 80's Intercity rakes or double headed steel coils like you have.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 1

Very nice layout and great space to have for it. Glad you started a thread after that photo you posted on The BBA topic. I’ve always enjoyed seeing the WCML modelled which I get from growing up watching Boldon Junction develop over the years.

I will look out for more updates

All the best

Mark

• RMweb Gold

You cannot have too many 87's, go for all 36! Although I only have Virgin liveried 87's on Dallam, I may repaint and detail a few up to run a few late 80's Intercity rakes or double headed steel coils like you have.

Cheers

Simon

I agree! Can never have too many Can’s ... and I confess, I reached 36 x 87s ... and continued! I now have a total of 51 following the arrival of the new releases!

As a youngster, layouts such as New Annington (seen at IMREX shows in London during the late 80s) inspired me to get 3 or 4 of the Lima pancake version. Following a hiatus from modelling and without a layout, I bought a few more reasonably priced Lima versions at various shops and shows and detailed and repainted to try and capture one of each type of livery. I then continued to buy a few more to capture some of the interesting names that they carried ... then I only needed a few more to complete having one of each number to have 36 in total.

Then I realised some individual 87s carried multiple unique liveries (such as 2, 12, 101 etc), and Hornby releases the Limby style upgraded chassis and motor, so the collection grew! I think I have 17 x 87s with the Limby chassis and the motors and extra pickups give decent performance and reliability, but the new releases are so much better. I’ll take a few pics of the line up of 87s later ...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very nice layout and great space to have for it. Glad you started a thread after that photo you posted on The BBA topic. I’ve always enjoyed seeing the WCML modelled which I get from growing up watching Boldon Junction develop over the years.

I will look out for more updates

All the best

Mark

Many thanks Mark. I remember seeing Boldon Junction as well, also saw Coppell last year at one show with its procession of WCML traffic and gigantic fiddle yard! I’ve always enjoyed the seeing the WCML modelled as well, some amazing layouts out there and on RMWeb and in development and it’s great to see Hornby, Bachmann and other manufacturers providing us with quality models like the 87s, Class 90 next year and BBAs at some stage.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/09/2018 at 08:59, Benjamin Brady said:

Great to see a WCML layout with OHLE, like other I am looking forward to seeing more of this layout and maybe a Class 90 or two stretching it's legs.

Benjamin

On 13/09/2018 at 09:29, vulcan product fan said:

looks ace pal any plans for some 90s ? form Bachmann

Many thanks. I do like the Class 90s as well and have 5 of the Hornby version. Two of these have had the old Ringfield chassis replaced with the newer and better performing can-style chassis although the Virgin liveries version has recently failed with an overheating motor! I do have the IC Swallow and RFD liveried versions of the Bachmann Class 90 pre-ordered due next year and looking forward to them being released.

8C4A0523-1F07-4C95-96B2-21CEBE33600E.jpeg.b2502f658b447fb241fc7c43bee4b75c.jpeg

Edited by Patriot87003
Pic reloaded
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

A few more pictures attached to show the storage areas on the layout. The first shows the 8-road upper fiddle yard in the middle of the shed, with the terminal station running parallel above it. The yard is fully ballasted! The line to the left of it leads down to the lower fiddle yard on a falling gradient.

The next picture shows the Virgin era stock currently stored in the lower fiddle yard directly below the upper fiddle yard - it’s also 8-road but I’m definitely not ballasting this one!

Tucked away in one corner is a compact maintenance depot to allow plenty of loco-changes via the terminal station.

8DA0C5A2-63BD-4657-B232-FBE53FD64FFE.jpeg.4c3518b810e408ebabb37f483918de14.jpeg

93DA9D44-20AB-4578-BDBC-0B344302D624.jpeg.c0dcc58ec8e14530c3ad40942562b186.jpeg

42B240AD-0412-4C8D-A4A3-8540C5D3FE02.jpeg.cda97da363df41fa4e3c91639c47d0aa.jpeg

Edited by Patriot87003
Pics reloaded
  • Like 15