Whitacre Junction Derailment

• RMweb Gold

Looks a bloody me but seems difficult to fathom out ,seems some of the train may have gone down the opposite route at first set of points but that doesn't explain why a wagon in rear of them is off the road.

I will leave to the blokes on the scene to sort that.

Main thing is although the job is stopped and a lot of damage no one was hurt

• RMweb Gold

Looks a bloody me but seems difficult to fathom out ,seems some of the train may have gone down the opposite route at first set of points but that doesn't explain why a wagon in rear of them is off the road.

Are the wagons not KFA? (Twin sets) with rigid bar couplings between them, perhaps the lead wagon coming off and twisting has pulled the trailing one over via the coupling bar?

• Like 1

Looking at that aerial it *suggests* to me the train was already off the road before getting to the first trailing point, it's then gone everywhere as it's traversed the points. Rear end of the 4th from back wagon is caught in the process of being pushed to the left by the rail of the trailing point.

• RMweb Gold

Are the wagons not KFA? (Twin sets) with rigid bar couplings between them, perhaps the lead wagon coming off and twisting has pulled the trailing one over via the coupling bar?

The first derailed wagon looks to be an FEA from the newspaper pictures. 

It appears to have gone both ways at the points but that may be because the second derailed wagon has pulled it that way.

Ouch. I wonder how many days it will take to get that cleared up, doubtless with road cranes, once the necessary access road has been created.

Jim

Access may not be too difficult. There used to be a siding into the Pumping Station which connected to a siding alongside the main line which stood roughly where the line of trees is now. There is also a way in at the other side of Station Road bridge from the trackbed of the old Hampton line.

I'm not sure if you could get in from Fishery Lane on the north side of the line these days although there was a gate next to Station Road bridge.

• RMweb Gold

:offtopic: Straying from the subject, but a bit of historical interest.

Looking at the aerial photo -

43921800734_12b110e054_z.jpg

Whitacre West Junction derailment by robmcrorie, on Flickr

At the top right in front of the lakes there is Fishery Lane, which I referred to in my previous post.

This was the pre-1864 alignment of the Birmingham and Derby Junction line. The original Whitacre station and junction for Hampton in Arden was about three quarters of a mile north of the present junction. The layout was altered when the Midland Railway built the line from Whitacre to Nuneaton.

News on the Railway grapevine attributes it to points moving under the train. Railway breakdown cranes in attendance due to poor road access.

Is there a trap point there?

Otherwise, I can't see how that could be the case, as two wagons are well off that haven't got as far as a facing point yet...

• RMweb Gold

Is there a trap point there?

Otherwise, I can't see how that could be the case, as two wagons are well off that haven't got as far as a facing point yet...

The line where the wagons are on their side is the Hams Hall Headshunt. The back end of the train is on the Departure/Run Round road. There are no other facing points until the scissors which is about half a mile further back.

The line where the wagons are on their side is the Hams Hall Headshunt. The back end of the train is on the Departure/Run Round road. There are no other facing points until the scissors which is about half a mile further back.

Thanks - that's what I'd thought based on the overheads I'd seen, so very unlikely to be caused by points moving under the train then.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose, giving them the benefit of the doubt, that the "points that moved" could be the ones half a mile back and it's run with at least 4 of the wagons derailed for half a mile.....

Had that been the case it probably would have ended up in a big pile at the scissors or in  the river at the bridge a quarter of a mile back.

• RMweb Gold

It seems the Coventry Telegraph are taking credit for my mate's on the spot photos as well as Emma Watson from some media company.

That's about right for that trash newspaper they always take the credit for photos etc....

I wouldn't wipe my backside with trash they print on paper.