MODEL RAIL 253 October 2018

dibber25

Publication date: 27 September

Do you strive for greater realism? The October 2018 Model Rail (MR253) has 20 pages of projects to make your modelling stand out from the crowd. There’s less challenge and more help and advice, whether it’s layout building, structures, rolling stock or locomotives. 

In Opening the Box we’ve news of new ‘N’ gauge projects from RevolutioN and in ‘N’ , ‘O’, and ‘OO’ from Dapol, while Heljan announces GWR railcars in ‘OO’ and ‘O’ and more new ‘O’ gauge diesels. To round off, there’s a two-page progress report from Bachmann. Chris Leigh has been to a railway museum in Northern Ontario, and paid a visit to Rapido Trains’ HQ.

Layouts

Carlton-le-Willows (BR Rail blue) (OO)

Laurie Calvert’s sci-fi models

Features

‘Caley sleeper’ depots. Layout ideas from Paul Lunn

Modelling masterpieces: Andrew Cowie’s scratch-built ‘O’ gauge locomotives.

Reviews

Kernow MRC Bulleid No. 10203

Rails of Sheffield/Rapido Trains LNER dynamometer car

Woodland Scenics Mod-u-Rail baseboard system

Hornby Maunsell Kitchen/diner

Workbench

Chris Leigh tweaks a ‘Toad’ or three.

Daryl Harris-Saxton kit-bashes a steam-heating coach

Chris Leigh models an overline accommodation bridge. 

Plus:

Build a custom platform

Class 20s on the Underground

Personalise resin buildings with Dave Lowery

Tweak your locomotives with Chris Gadsby

PLUS all the usual regulars. 

post-1062-0-07848100-1537880462_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Chris for your info 'RU' on Western brakevans meant 'Restricted User' (i.e. use was restricted to a particular yard/station to which the van was shown to be allocated), it did not mean 'restricted use' (which would have meant it could only be used on particular types of work or over particular lines etc).

Incidentally the review of the Mod-U-Rail baseboards doesn't appear to give the height/length of the legs.

Chris for your info 'RU' on Western brakevans meant 'Restricted User' (i.e. use was restricted to a particular yard/station to which the van was shown to be allocated), it did not mean 'restricted use' (which would have meant it could only be used on particular types of work or over particular lines etc).

Incidentally the review of the Mod-U-Rail baseboards doesn't appear to give the height/length of the legs.

I hadn't realised there was a distinction between 'restricted use' and 'restricted user'. I thought 'restricted use' meant restricted to use by the named station or yard. (CJL)

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, 

Just out of interest please could anyone tell me what 13 new models are announced inside this edition?

Also is the model of 20227 presumably in OO Gauge a new ready to run/limited edition model or is it just a repaint to be won as a prize? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, 

Also is the model of 20227 presumably in OO Gauge a new ready to run/limited edition model or is it just a repaint to be won as a prize? 

Thank you very much in advance. 

It is not a limited edition. (CJL)

It's a one off by Dave Lowery.

Edited by Nile

Hi all, 

Just out of interest please could anyone tell me what 13 new models are announced inside this edition?. 

Depends how it is counted - the full list of models announced are

N Gauge

Dapol Mk3 Sleeping car

Dapol Prototype HST Power Cars

Dapol Prototype HST Trailer First

Dapol Prototype HST Trailer Second

Dapol Prototype HST Trailer Buffer (although this will simply be the existing Mk3 Buffer Car tooling)

Dapol Prototype HST Trailer Kitchen (although this will simply be the existing Mk3 Buffer Car tooling)

Revolution 128

Revolution IPA-A car carrier twins

Revolution/Accurascale Cemflo PCV

Revolution Vanwide VEA

OO Gauge

Dapol Bogie Bolster E

Heljan GWR 'razor edge' railcar

O Gauge

Dapol YCV Turbot

Dapol Bogie Bolster E

Heljan GWR 'razor edge' railcar

Heljan 33 (retool) 

Heljan 56

• RMweb Gold

If you are the lucky winner I would have thought a coat of Klear (or whatever is the current correct varnish to use) would fix the matter if is a problem to you.

If I did win it (I won’t as I won’t be entering) I’d keep it as it is, knowing my luck I’d mess it up if I tried to gloss it up!

• RMweb Gold

It's a one off by Dave Lowery.

If you are the lucky winner I would have thought a coat of Klear (or whatever is the current correct varnish to use) would fix the matter if is a problem to you.

If I did win it (I won’t as I won’t be entering) I’d keep it as it is, knowing my luck I’d mess it up if I tried to gloss it up!

Same here - quite apart from my personal attitude of not wishing to ruin something that actually looks rather nice as it is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", a big part of the appeal of this model is that it's been "worked on" by somebody a lot better at this stuff than I'm ever likely to be.

Daryl Harris-Saxton kit-bashes a steam-heating coach

I hope the coaching stock "cut & shuts" become a regular feature in ModelRail.

As far as I'm concerned, stuff like this is one of the things that makes railway modelling "The World's Greatest Hobby" - and precisely the sort of stuff that would make me buy this magazine (or any other featuring similar content), on a routine basis.

I wonder who owns the copyright to all those 60s MRC "cut & shut" articles (or if a current magazine could come up with modern equivalents, perhaps based on cheap secondhand rolling stock models) ... .

Huw.

Same here - quite apart from my personal attitude of not wishing to ruin something that actually looks rather nice as it is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", a big part of the appeal of this model is that it's been "worked on" by somebody a lot better at this stuff than I'm ever likely to be.

I hope the coaching stock "cut & shuts" become a regular feature in ModelRail.

As far as I'm concerned, stuff like this is one of the things that makes railway modelling "The World's Greatest Hobby" - and precisely the sort of stuff that would make me buy this magazine (or any other featuring similar content), on a routine basis.

I wonder who owns the copyright to all those 60s MRC "cut & shut" articles (or if a current magazine could come up with modern equivalents, perhaps based on cheap secondhand rolling stock models) ... .

Huw.

The copyright would rest in the actual articles, the words and pictures, used in Model Railway Constructor and that copyright belongs to the present owners of the Model Railway Constructor title. However, a present-day magazine would wish to produce its own illustrations to modern standards and in colour, no doubt, so there would be no copyright infringement. You can't copyright an idea - particularly if you've published it 50 years ago deliberately for people to copy, so the cut and shut models produced (mainly by Alan Williams) would not be copyright. More importantly, they mostly used Kitmaster coaches, which are no longer available, so any new articles would have to use other donor models - probably Bachmann or Hornby. However, the reason for many of those conversions has now gone. Alan made a 4-CEP from chopped up Kitmasters. Nowadays you'd just buy the Bachmann model. When opportunity arises, we do keep the kit-bashing tradition alive with articles like the steam-heat vehicle in the current issue. A while back I carved an Oxford 'Dean goods' into a passable representation of an ex-MSWJR 2-4-0 but there's no denying the opportunities for something novel are not now as great as they used to be and when an idea does come along it's quite difficult to execute it to a standard that is acceptable against today's ready-to-run items. My own attention has been directed more towards North American subjects where there are still some good opportunities to produce items that will never be done RTR. (CJL)

• Like 2