Next18 Socket

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking at upgrading my older split-chassis Bachmann Ivatt 2-6-2Ts with the newer models, but I note that they have a Next18 socket. Is there an adaptor available to allow 8 or 21 pin decoders to be used? 

Or is the best solution to take out the socket and hardwire in a new one? 

I bought a Webb 0-6-2 tank with one of these sockets, and removed it to fit a Loksound V4 micro decoder in its place. I made my own 6-pin plug and socket affair instead of hard wiring it in case I need to swap the decoder, or have the decoder reblown etc.

Why did you take the Next18 out when ESU have an LS Micro with the Next18 interface? Edited by GoingUnderground

Why did you take the Next18 out when ESU have an LS Micro with the Next18 interface?

Because I had a V4 micro at hand, and I don't have the financial wherewithal to buy new decoders at whim. On a different thread (glass throttles ringing a bell?) where you were listing the amount of ESU equipment you had purchased you made a comment "some of us have more money than sense". I agree. Unfortunately I am limited to only having the choice of sense over money.

• Agree 1

..... I note that they have a Next18 socket. Is there an adaptor available to allow 8 or 21 pin decoders to be used? 

There's a good reason why they've used a small form factor socket in this model.

The lack of available space.

Otherwise Bachmann would have fitted an 8 or 21 pin connector.

The solution is quite simple. Buy an appropriate Next18 decoder.

OK then, since the received wisdom is to stick with the 18 pin socket - is there a good value decoder with Stay Alive? The Bachmann 36-567 doesnt include that as far as I am aware.

You put the stay-alive in the loco with Next18 sockets.  Two pins available for it in the Next18 specification.  The Bachmann (rebadged Zimo) will work correctly with an appropriate unit added to the loco (charging resistor, discharge diode, capacitors). 

• RMweb Gold

You put the stay-alive in the loco with Next18 sockets.  Two pins available for it in the Next18 specification.  The Bachmann (rebadged Zimo) will work correctly with an appropriate unit added to the loco (charging resistor, discharge diode, capacitors). 

I was previously looking at the DCC Concepts decoders which already have the Stay Alive connected - so it works "out of the box". 

I'm touchy whenever I'm confronted with "point-scoring" arrogant so & so's, especially when they can't seem to stop themselves. Re-read your own words underneath your name, the ones about "holes" and "digging".

?

Edited by GoingUnderground

• RMweb Premium

I'm touchy whenever I'm confronted with "point-scoring" arrogant so & so's, especially when they can't seem to stop themselves. Re-read your own words underneath your name, the ones about "holes" and "digging".

Exactly what is point scoring with the question?

"Why did you take the Next18 out when ESU have an LS Micro with the Next18 interface?"

The reply including: "I am limited to only having the choice of sense over money"

Is just plain rude.

Touchy, you? - Yes!

Keith