DCC Concepts 8 way point decoder, also looking for DCC reverse loop module

toolongtoremember

Hi there, 

Anybody know whether the AD-S8sx as seen here - https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/cobalt-ip-dcc-decoder-sx-solenoid-motor-drive-8-way-output-2/  is any good? I originally bought Hornby accessory decoders, but theyre being returned to the shop today to exchange for a different decoder because they were too under powered. 

Also can anybody recommend me a good reverse loop module? I have the Hornby one but I think I will also return that because I am just not confident of the quality. 

Kind regards.. 

Edited by toolongtoremember

• RMweb Gold

If you do buy, make sure you do get the newer version with the power off memory. The older ones don't have this and you can identify them by them not having a plastic cover.

I have the older ones and, apart from the memory issue, they work well and do exactly as they say. Because they are grouped as 8, cabling runs can be a bit longer than with individual ones mounted closer to the points but they have enough 'kick' to overcome this provided you use the recommended gauge wire.

The newer one, brilliant I have all my point wires with 24awg and the layout is only 5x2 foot. Each point will be within 2 foot of a decoder anyhow as they will be staggered along the length. Will this work? Also using with railmaster and elink from Hornby with 1amp power supply, I will have to up rate this to 4 amps?

I have 4 of them and they work extremely well. As has been said, the ADS8SX is much better that it's forerunner the ADS8fx. I use a Hornby Elite which delivers 4 amps but I have the ADS8SX decoders on separate switches because when powering up from cold as the 32 CDUs suck all the power out of the Elite so that it "shorts" out. Switching the decoders in gradually sorted the problem.

• Agree 1

I have 4 of them and they work extremely well. As has been said, the ADS8SX is much better that it's forerunner the ADS8fx. I use a Hornby Elite which delivers 4 amps but I have the ADS8SX decoders on separate switches because when powering up from cold as the 32 CDUs suck all the power out of the Elite so that it "shorts" out. Switching the decoders in gradually sorted the problem.

That's absolutely brilliant information, I'd of certainly got stuck on that detail about the decoders draining the power from the DCC bus system. Now I know exactly where to start with my installation when I get them. Great to hear some real feedback about them too. 

• RMweb Premium

The ADS-8SX was developed off the back of experience with the earlier 8FX range, so is better as a result.

Like any capacitor device, it takes time to charge initially, so the idea of switches to power up each one individually is a good idea. (It's a bit like trying to start a loos coupled goods train - it was done "one wagon at a  time"

As for reverse modules - you can't go too far wrong with the DCC Specialities PSX-AR. Just follow the instructions regarding staggered rail joints (or filled in gaps) and they work without any trouble whatsoever.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

I use a separate Power supply (regulated) for my older version. Takes no oomph from the Track BUS es that way and my layout has only 1. 8Amps at the mo.

The ADS can be powered with any suitable regulated supply and then controlled with pushbuttons/toggle switches.

But if you want DCC operation, then they have to take power (and control) from the DCC bus.

Typically, once initially charged, an ADS-8SX will take 120-250mA static current depending upon how many frog switch relays are turned on.

• RMweb Premium

The ADS can be powered with any suitable regulated supply and then controlled with pushbuttons/toggle switches.

But if you want DCC operation, then they have to take power (and control) from the DCC bus.

Typically, once initially charged, an ADS-8SX will take 120-250mA static current depending upon how many frog switch relays are turned on.

Oh of course. That's me being old school and I don't like operating my Fiddle without actually seeing the route set in sight not on screen.

I have seen similar reports, the problem is not restricted to the Elite and/or its power supply.

I use a separate Power supply (regulated) for my older version. Takes no oomph from the Track BUS es that way and my layout has only 1. 8Amps at the mo.

The ADS8x does not have a separate power input when used as a DCC decoder. The power has to come from a DCC bus, whether from the track or a dedicated accessory bus.

• 3 months later...
On 10/13/2018 at 4:01 PM, JST said:

I also use the Elite and am looking to utilise 2 ADS8SX's (when they come back into stock). Would you advise switching them on separately to avoid the same issue or will I be OK with just 16 CDU's? R-

• RMweb Gold
On 10/13/2018 at 11:56 AM, BoD said:

If you do buy, make sure you do get the newer version with the power off memory. The older ones don't have this and you can identify them by them not having a plastic cover.

I have the older ones and, apart from the memory issue, they work well and do exactly as they say. Because they are grouped as 8, cabling runs can be a bit longer than with individual ones mounted closer to the points but they have enough 'kick' to overcome this provided you use the recommended gauge wire.

The newer version also has a discharge button and led to confirm power has been discharged. Press the button until the blue led goes out before touching the unit or connections.

3 hours ago, Roger Best said:

I also use the Elite and am looking to utilise 2 ADS8SX's (when they come back into stock). Would you advise switching them on separately to avoid the same issue or will I be OK with just 16 CDU's? R-

The Elite will be fine with 2 ADS8SX decoders.

• Thanks 1

On the reverse module I use there of these boxes https://dcctrainautomation.co.uk/ls-digital/4385-ls-digital-reverse-loop-modual-5410 and they are excellent value, simple and 100% effective. If you use Railcom then they work with it and pass the Railcom signal, plus they can work after the current sensor (e.g. DR5088RC or DR4088) if you are using automation.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to go a bit OT but is the Hornby accessory decoder compatible with other companies systems?

I had an Elite and two selects but replaced them with a gaugemaster prodigy system . The reverse loop modules work fine but I haven't installed the accessory decoder because I assumed it wouldn't work

21 hours ago, russ p said:

Sorry to go a bit OT but is the Hornby accessory decoder compatible with other companies systems?

I had an Elite and two selects but replaced them with a gaugemaster prodigy system . The reverse loop modules work fine but I haven't installed the accessory decoder because I assumed it wouldn't work

It should do.

Think of your system in 2 sides with the command station in the middle. Everything 'Throttle side' is proprietary, so for example you cannot use a Gaugemaster handset with an NCE PowerPro (although I seem to remember 1 exception to this).

Everything 'Power side' is NMRA compliant, so just like you can use any loco decoder because it pulls everything from the power bus, you should be able to use any accessory decoder because it connects in exactly the same way.

• Thanks 1