Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

Tim,

I can remember trying to give you a (vinyl) copy of the Angelwitch album back in the Marlow club room many years ago and you turning it down.  :mosking:

steve

Edited by steve1

Magnus Öström - Thread of Life

The Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame

Miles Davis - A Kind of Blue

Polar Bear - In Each And Every One

Been a jazz day today....

and the Mrs was out last night so I listened to:

Go Away White - Bauhaus

Talk About the Weather - Red Lorry Yellow Lorry

Bloodsports - Suede

Weight of Your Love - Editors

But it might have to be Thunder and Consolation next (see above post)

Chris Isaak - Silvertone. It was his first album and recorded in 1985, but still sounds good and fresh today.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

In the car today:

Yes "In The Present" - live in Lyon 2011.

Interesting choice of later material plus different takes on older songs - makes a change.

Dressed in voices - Mostly Autumn

Just back from the album launch and doubtless Tim (OP) will analyse in some depth, but I had to beat him too it LOL

MA fans often call them Mostly Awesome but tonight they went all the way,

This new album, at least for the first 3/4 is a concept album as Prog groups used to do (until Genesis screwed it up). After 14 +  years they have re-invented themselves, but totally as Mostly Autumn. In their first 3 albums MA were a totally raw, original prog band. They have achieved much since, including many better creations (passengers), but they re-invented themselves and prog tonight. Totally back to their roots, Leaving Heather behind (sorry darling, she was in the audience and I love everything she did with MA) so using all of the 15 plus years experience this new concept album stands head and shoulders over other prog bands of today.

Please wait for the launch on 1 June, but more importantly see them live - this will be simply amazing. I can only suggest if Ars longa vita brevis is where Prog began and ended for you, then tonight was the rebirth.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had my copy on order for a couple of months now (since it was announced on the MA website). Should be worth the wait!

I'm not sure The Nice ever really did it for me, a mate had "Ars Longa" but I found it rather boring (I preferred the first album "Emerlist Davjack" with Davy O'List on guitar)  - The Yes Album probably opened my ears to prog for the first time. 

I've had my copy on order for a couple of months now (since it was announced on the MA website). Should be worth the wait!

I'm not sure The Nice ever really did it for me, a mate had "Ars Longa" but I found it rather boring (I preferred the first album "Emerlist Davjack" with Davy O'List on guitar)  - The Yes Album probably opened my ears to prog for the first time. 

The new album is certainly worth waiting for. I played it in the car back from the HMRS Committee meeting yesterday evening, I even coped with those endless miles of 50mph on the M1.

You obviously didn't dance to the Nice doing the set album, which is how my life partner and me spent an evening in c1968-9! Yes came on the scene very late in the day and not a band I could ever afford to have seen. Now Refugee live at Liverpool Poly, quite incredible.

Paul

PS just noticed in your profile you are in Colchester; the dance was at the Uni. Essex Uni SU were pretty good at getting locals to attend their gigs.

Edited by hmrspaul

Mostly Autumn, Dressed in Voices. Now I'm finally home I can listen to it again. Most prog thing they've ever done? Apart from the bits that go country and western....

I'm already making comparisons with Marillion's "Brave".And that's one of my all time favourite albums.

• RMweb Premium

Dressed in voices - Mostly Autumn

Just back from the album launch and doubtless Tim (OP) will analyse in some depth, but I had to beat him too it LOL

MA fans often call them Mostly Awesome but tonight they went all the way,

This new album, at least for the first 3/4 is a concept album as Prog groups used to do (until Genesis screwed it up). After 14 +  years they have re-invented themselves, but totally as Mostly Autumn. In their first 3 albums MA were a totally raw, original prog band. They have achieved much since, including many better creations (passengers), but they re-invented themselves and prog tonight. Totally back to their roots, Leaving Heather behind (sorry darling, she was in the audience and I love everything she did with MA) so using all of the 15 plus years experience this new concept album stands head and shoulders over other prog bands of today.

Please wait for the launch on 1 June, but more importantly see them live - this will be simply amazing. I can only suggest if Ars longa vita brevis is where Prog began and ended for you, then tonight was the rebirth.

Paul

Can't wait, and they are playing in the Westcountry (Tavistock to be precise) on 25th July, the night before the Barnstaple Exhibition.

I never heard The Nice, and ELP never really did it for me.  I was definitely a Yes man.

Dave.

Today;

England-Garden Shed

Then, prompted by Pauls mention of The Nice; Brian Davison's Every Which Way. (Sax, blues rock, a bit like Traffic)

Iron Butterfly-In A Gadda Da Vida. (Twice, oh yes....)