The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

• 2 weeks later...

The new song by Stolen Earth, formed from the ashes of Breathing Space.

Fab! Thanks for posting that. The guitarist has a great feel for space.

Currently a mix of happy PT tracks including Don't Hate me, Stop Swimming, Heart Attack in a Layby, Collapse the Light into Earth, Feel So Low, Shesmovedon...

• RMweb Premium

The new song by Stolen Earth, formed from the ashes of Breathing Space.

Cheers Tim, that's another band to watch!

OMS: Hawkwind - "Blood Of The Earth"

Listened to Scott Walker's cunningly titled third solo album 'Scott 3' in the wee small hours the other day, coming home in the works van... I'd fogotten just how good (most of) it is.

Also been listening to a Velvet Underground compilation that surfaced in the car this week - their later stuff tends to get overlooked sometimes, tracks like 'Pale Blue Eyes and 'What Goes On'... the latter has a fantastic guitar sound and certainly doesn't sound forty years old. 'Sweet Jane' and 'Rock & Roll' are especially good too.

;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Try "The Bones of All Men"

by 'Mr Philip Pickett with Mr Richard Thompson and the Fairport Rhythm Section'

It is from 1998 and is a fusion of Electric Folk, Classical and Rock

Quite interesting

Keith

Yes - Fly From Here. Even without Jon Anderson or Rick Wakeman, it's a lot better than the forgettable last couple of albums. Rather more streamlined and commercial than classic 70s Yes, more like 80s Yes in feel.

Dimmu Borgir - Abrahadabra. Totally OTT symphonic black metal with choir, orchestra, cookie-monster vocals and blast beats. You do wonder if they're rather taking the piss here...

The Seahorses - Do It Yourself. A real oldie I dug out having not played for years, after seeing their bassist with Halo Blind in York. (Interestingly John Squire was mixing the sound at that gig, in a tiny basement bar)

Breathing Space - Below the Radar Live. From Olivia Sparnenn's farewell gig with the band on Easter Sunday 2010 at Bilston Robin 2. I was there!

the VU were great!

They have never meant a bean to me. I was at the 'right' age for them when they came out but I've never heard anything by them that impressed me*. Completely over-rated in my mind. (See also The Smiths, Radiohead)

* I had the misfortune to see Nico live once. Excruciating tedium.

steve

Listened to Scott Walker's cunningly titled third solo album 'Scott 3' in the wee small hours the other day, coming home in the works van... I'd fogotten just how good (most of) it is.

Also been listening to a Velvet Underground compilation that surfaced in the car this week - their later stuff tends to get overlooked sometimes, tracks like 'Pale Blue Eyes and 'What Goes On'... the latter has a fantastic guitar sound and certainly doesn't sound forty years old. 'Sweet Jane' and 'Rock & Roll' are especially good too.

;)

I bought the first VU album from seeing the cover - when it had pictures of the band and their light show, not the later banana cover. Their songs, although, er, sometimes a bit odd, stand the test of time. In 1968, I had't heard anything that ended the way "All tomorrow's parties" does. (This does of course live on as the name of the weekend music events held at Minehead, and before that Camber Sands)

VU songs covered (& sometimes done better) by other artists:

"Pale blues eyes" - Counting Crows/Sheryl Crow,

"Sweet Jane" - Sugarcubes (demo, ends suddenly), and Cowboy Junkies,

"ATP" - Japan, and Iron & Wine/Calexico,

"I'm Waiting for the Man" - Vanessa Paradis,

"Sunday Morning" - Mathew Sweet/Suzanna Hoffs (ex-Bangles).

"Heroin" - Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star), Sinead O'Connor/U2 (boring version, unlike the other covers, but then that's U2 for you).

A VU song done by Joy Formidable could be interesting - saw them a couple of years ago in Norwich - seemed promising, if a bit under-rehearsed.

Currently listening to: 'Allo Darlin' and their label-mates "The Loves" (now no more).

Barry

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Pink Floyd - "Pulse"

Got to say I do prefer them without Ranting Roger (Waters), once he left the music became more important than the "message" IMHO.

Just wish they'd produced another album or two!

• 3 weeks later...

Opeth - Ghost Reveries (brilliant album)

Their recent stuff never fails to amaze me every time I listen. Really looking forward to the new one.

Now playing here - Mostly Autumn, Still Beautiful. Newly-released live album with Olivia Sparnenn on lead vocals; Anyone who's seen them live this year knows how spectacularly good they are at the moment, and this album manages to capture that intensity.

• RMweb Premium

Yes - Fly From Here. Even without Jon Anderson or Rick Wakeman, it's a lot better than the forgettable last couple of albums. Rather more streamlined and commercial than classic 70s Yes, more like 80s Yes in feel.

Been listening to Fly From Here a lot, and definitely like it. As you say Tim, its back to the 80s and something of a continuation of the Yes/Buggles combination that produced Drama. I actually liked Drama, though I seemed to be the only person that did! I will have to dig out my old vinyl copy and have another listen.

Cheers,

Dave.

I actually liked Drama, though I seemed to be the only person that did! I will have to dig out my old vinyl copy and have another listen.

Cheers,

Dave.

You're not the only person that likes it, because there's at least two of us!