The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Recently/currently listening to...

Tim H

10 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its gone up here too, but on balance I still count it as money well spent. I've got around 15,000 "liked" songs on Spotify  and I can guarantee that at least 10,000 I've discovered via Spotify itself , either through suggested playlists,  their weekly new music playlist, or their recommendations about bands similar to the one I'm listening to  and so on. I've discovered hundreds of great bands and  whole new genres based on one spotify song, then trying out their suggestions based on it. For instance I spent a couple of months enjoying a journey through  Scottish independent bands based on Spotify suggesting a song by GUMS.  Living in Australia, there's no way that I'd have discovered their music by browsing record shops here, even if there were still record shops!

The radio plays very limited new music, physical music shops don't exist near me and as someone who's tastes are broad but niche if that makes any sense, I don't have any other way or the time to hunt music down. I do have a sizeable CD and LP collection but the number of albums I've spent album price on and discovered I really only like a third or half of the songs (or even none of them!)  on has probably squandered more of my money over the years  than my 6 years of Spotify subscription. 

Finally, my "family" subscription is shared between myself, my partner, my son and my budgie - who has his own account based on the music he most talks along to (mainly Beatles, though he is a big fan of The Saints and The Lovely Eggs)  makes it pretty good value overall I reckon.

Absolutely get your points Chris, Spotify is an amazing depository of music (and Podcasts). If I were in your position I'd be the same. If Spotify was costed closer to video streaming I'd be happy to continue, but £10 is a tipping point for me.

I'll use the free version to dip into occasionally and maybe if I ditch one of my other subs (the sword of Damocles is hanging over Apple Arcade!) I may return.

C6T.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Montrose has a record shop, they organise the Mofest too, with live music that has had Status Quo and The Average White Band in the past. I used to use spotify, but stopped using it. Listen to music on my hi-fi or youtube. I actually worked with these characters in the early 1970's, that's Julie Driscoll behind the bar, Mick Taylor on the right(he left the band to replace Brain Jones in the Rolling Stones. Big Bri Belshaw is the bus conductor, Kevin Westlake in the middle and "little" Bri Godding on the left, they were born from the ashes of the Blossom Toes.

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, steve1 said:

I’ve reached a point now where I can’t be bothered to buy any new music. I might (rarely to be honest) hear something I like on the radio but I won’t get the album. No interest in Spotify or downloading, wouldn’t know how anyway.

Yes, I can guess exactly what you will all say about ‘discoveries’ etc but I’m happy with what I already own. I have hundreds of vinyl albums and CDs and it would take me the rest of my expected existence to listen to them all once anyway.

steve

Hi Steve

It would be achievable if you were to not listen the albums by Ye  (self censoring keybord won't allow the next letter to be typed). 

I get most my music from YouTube these days, I am quite surprised at some of the suggestions

• Funny 1

I am at this moment, currently listening to the wonderful voice of Jon Anderson in 'Symphonic Yes'.

However.....  After tomorrow, The Wife and I shall be camping in Cropredy, for our annual pilgrimage to see Fairport Convention and friends.

This year it's Nile Rogers & Shic, Fishermen's Friends, 10cc and many others.  Hankies at the ready for Richard Digence (You won't understand that one of you have never been).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Back in the late 70s the army took delight in sending me to Colchester, luckily there was a very good record shop and I became friends with Steve (keyboards) who sold me too many punk records.  Through him I got to know Robbie (vocals and cack-handed guitar) and Mick (bass). Steve was a really good mate at the time and was best man when I married my first wife. Sadly life got in the way and we lost contact with each other as we drifted away. What a surprise to see them on one of my favorite YouTube channels.

Gabriel (guitar) and Ric (banging things) are newer members of the band, you expect some changes over the years.

• Like 4

Currently watching Ween live in Chicago on youtube,  (the best concert footage I've ever seen, probably not though if you are not a Ween fan) and my  house budgie  is listening intently to the start of every song and if he likes it he just goes off. I can't film it because that  stops him thus providing proof of the Observer Effect, but he definitely lets me know what songs he likes by headbanging like crazy. 

So far The Mollusc seems to be his favourite  album going by the responses to the songs played.

As proof of his musicalness, here's  footage I prepared earlier of him rocking out to "Im  Stranded" by Australia's own The Saints. The audio may be a little hard to pickup depending on your listening device - my laptop plays it but its inaudible on my phone, but if its lacking in your replay, just hum "Im Stranded" ( some say its  The Worlds First Punk Rock Song.....") to get the effect as he headbangs like the little aussie battler that he is.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Imagine for a moment it is 100AD.

You are a Roman soldier sent to the Far North to fight barbarian tribes.

You are camped at night in a dark forest.

Then, out of the dark, you start to hear this....

That is absolutely ******* amazing! It had me in tears and goosebumps as it touched something deep inside me. The clicking of those bones sent shivers down my spine.

steve

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 10/09/2023 at 17:42, KeithMacdonald said:

Imagine for a moment it is 100AD.

You are a Roman soldier sent to the Far North to fight barbarian tribes.

You are camped at night in a dark forest.

Then, out of the dark, you start to hear this....

Amazing. Just gone and bought the live album.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How did I manage to miss the 2017 collaborative album  between John Cooper Clarke and Hugh Cornwell?

I'd still be in the dark  about it if  earlier this morning Spotify hadn't played me the first version of "Macarthur Park" that I've been able to listen to since 1981 when I got thoroughly sick of the sound of it due to having  to learn it for school choir. 

There's even a little "Thick As A Brick" era Tull sound towards the end. Tons of fun!