New TV series with Dan Cruickshank

darren01

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I'd just managed to scrape together an upgrade to include Discovery, couldn't believe my timing and luck... My toy train funding precludes notching it up furtherohmy.gif

Dan is an excellent enthusiastic presenter for general programming in my view, but I still love his "...Penguins being the staple diet of Polar Bears..." whenever they re-show that onelaugh.gif cool.gif

Regards, Gerry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Max Stafford

Might be a dodgy photoshop job, Jim, but I'm rather liking the idea of it! ;)

Dave.

anyone spot the slightly dodgy advert for the show in the papers today, photoshopped black 5 with (what i think are) german smoke deflectors fitted, very strange!!

Oh yes, saw that. Looked very continental, but was pleased (and suprised) to see a railway related programme being advertised.

Makes a change from show off ice road bloody truckers and those (once interesting but now tedious) crabbers.

Hello Gents,

Unfortunately havn't found time to watch much of it yet, but was somewhat discombobulated by a tremendous howler about 5 minutes in. While standing by the 43xx in ROD khaki livery, he talked about its use in France, including "pulling forty (40) carriages" . . . "full of stores and supplies" etc.

Call me old-fashioned, but if the program can't properly distinguish between something so fundamental as a wagon and a carriage, then it's not very encouraging. Or did they load munitions into French Railway 4 wheel carriages? Maybe I'm the plonker.

Cheers, Tony

PS I'm now going to watch out for calling a locomotive "a train"

Hello Gents,

Unfortunately havn't found time to watch much of it yet, but was somewhat discombobulated by a tremendous howler about 5 minutes in. While standing by the 43xx in ROD khaki livery, he talked about its use in France, including "pulling forty (40) carriages" . . . "full of stores and supplies" etc.

Call me old-fashioned, but if the program can't properly distinguish between something so fundamental as a wagon and a carriage, then it's not very encouraging. Or did they load munitions into French Railway 4 wheel carriages? Maybe I'm the plonker.

Cheers, Tony

PS I'm now going to watch out for calling a locomotive "a train"

Heard that one about the forty carriages. I thought "crikey that some loco"rolleyes.gif I have no doubt he meant wagons. I enjoyed the program. In any case any program on railways is to be welcomed. Lets have more.smile.gif

I'm now going to watch out for calling a locomotive "a train"

Ah the problems of some one making a tele programme about railways, and not being a serious railway enthusiast.

Being an mechanical engineer I know the problem, to an engineer it's a gear, to a normal pleb it's a cog --ergh!!biggrin.gif

Has he found anything phallic yet? It was his buzzword for 80 wonders of the world.. I do like Dan Crushanks rather overenthusiastic approach to history :). Completely the opposite way of presenting compared to the recent Michael Portillo series though no doubt a few similar clangers will show up.

Oh yes, saw that. Looked very continental, but was pleased (and suprised) to see a railway related programme being advertised.

Makes a change from show off ice road bloody truckers and those (once interesting but now tedious) crabbers.

Ice Pilots currently on Quest is pretty good. Same idea as ice road truckers only with DC-3s , C46s, and a DC-4 so much better and seems to be plenty of flying material. There are thirteen of them so it may go on a bit though crossing the Atlantic in winter with Canadair CL-215 waterbombers looks promising.

I found Cruickshank's programme a bit disappointing though still worth watching despite the 40 carriages howler (and I don't think the racks in Down Street he thought were the wartime telephone exchange were any such thing) . Pretty good explanation of the Foreway operation in WW-1 and the Dunkirk railway operation but overall I found it a bit shallow and I don't think the underground HQ of the Railway Executive is really the most interesting aspect of railway operations in WW2. I found the programme about railways in WW2 in Pete Waterman's series a lot more engaging.

David

• 2 months later...

Presumably this was what was being trailed on Five last night?  Great Railway Adventures.  Couldn't find anything on the Five website but found in a TV listings.  First one, I assume, Tuesday 10th at 20.00.  Naturally that conflicts with MRC meeting!

Cheers,

26power

I watched some of this last night and enjoyed it. Yes there is the usual nonsense in the commentary, but the film clips are worth watching and I learned some things. According to Demand five it is available to watch on the computer, so I will try to catch the rest on here when I get fed up with you lot!!!

Ed

Watched it last night on 5. Pleanty of clips of RH&DR and FR aalong with the Khaki GWR 0-6-0.

Just a shame that he seemed to wander off at a tangent slightly thoughout the prog. The other downside is that of splitting it into chunks so that adverts can be placed in the gaps - broke up the continuity I think?

It didn't get a very good write up in the review I read - "presumably not enough stories to fill an hour", "some segments are merely flisy links to trains" and "altogether, it is a bit of a ragbag" - and only seemingly featuring dull wartime kettles it didn't really grab my interest. Consequently, there also being, unusually for a Tuesday evening, programes on other channels of more interest to me, I didn't bother to watch it. So was it worth investing being slumped in front of the box for a whole hour?

G.

• RMweb Gold

........................ I didn't bother to watch it. So was it worth investing being slumped in front of the box for a whole hour?

Well, I certainly enjoyed it. I have always found Dan Cruickshank's manner very engaging. Bear in mind, this sort of programme is for a general audience, so those of us who dismiss these type of series should perhaps invest in specific interest DVDs which would probably bore the pants off the average viewer.

I'd seen this episode on the Geographic channel earlier on in the year but enjoyed watching it again. Its not to technical being for a general audience & Cruikshank has an interesting way of presenting things. Looking forward to the next program. One thing as someone else mentioned,those adds kept breaking up the flow of it all.

• RMweb Premium

It didn't get a very good write up in the review I read - "presumably not enough stories to fill an hour", "some segments are merely flisy links to trains" and "altogether, it is a bit of a ragbag" - and only seemingly featuring dull wartime kettles it didn't really grab my interest. Consequently, there also being, unusually for a Tuesday evening, programes on other channels of more interest to me, I didn't bother to watch it. So was it worth investing being slumped in front of the box for a whole hour?

A petrol powered Simplex made an appearence so it wasn't all steam trains! wink.gif

It wasn't a bad programme but most of the contents had been covered by other series (Coast for example with the listening stations and Mulbury Harbours and Pluto pipeline) but the "rescuing" of engineers from the western coast of France a few weeks after Dunkirk was something I'd not heard of before.

One of the members of the Yorkshire Area Group of the N Gauge Society who works for the NRM makes an appearence in one of the other programmes in the series.

Happy modelling,

Steven B.

Archived