Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Drone disruption at LGW

EddieB

Ok, there’s footage of it........the ATC tower were the first to report it...........it’s not the CIA, or elvis come back to visit us from Mars, it stems simply from the fact the government didn’t act quickly enough to ban or remove the capability for anybody to purchase an easy to operate 2kg projectile that , mark my words, will eventually cause a mass casualty situation .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know if there really was a drone flying over Gatwick at any time?

Or was it all just a hoax?

...R

To start this chain of events, there has to be a specific ‘type’ of report regarding the sight or operation of a drone/s. Whilst I have no first hand knowledge of the reports at Gatwick, I have no doubt that there were actual sightings of a drone/drones over the 36 hours or so this took place.

• RMweb Gold

Ok, there’s footage of it........the ATC tower were the first to report it...........it’s not the CIA, or elvis come back to visit us from Mars, it stems simply from the fact the government didn’t act quickly enough to ban or remove the capability for anybody to purchase an easy to operate 2kg projectile that , mark my words, will eventually cause a mass casualty situation .

Or, airports haven't acted quickly enough in the face of a rapidly emerging technology and taken steps to protect themselves & their airspace. Instead of spending millions making nice shiny new shopping centres terminal buildings, Gatwick might have been better investing some of that money on the kind of kit which they are now having to pay the MOD to deploy and which seems to have done the job. Instead they appear to have sat back and done nothing despite several prior occurrences and have now made themselves look a bit silly. 

The aviation industry has been caught with its pants down when it comes to drones, and contrary to what many in this industry believe the skies are not their sole preserve. A blanket ban on drones is not the answer, but better education of the laws surrounding their use and ensuring they cannot get into a position where they can interfere with commercial or military air traffic in the first place is. There must therefore be an onus on airports to make sure they have adequate defence against drone operators who are just ignorant of the rules and those who may have a more malevolent intent. 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE

• RMweb Gold

Arrived at Gatwick this evening. Apart from a delay (around 20 minutes) of getting my luggage back, there weren't any problems, thankfully! :)

At least you got yours - a few weeks back my daughter had to wait 24 hours plus for hers to be couriered from LGW because 'they had lost it' when supposedly transferring it from the aircraft to the carousel.  (It was all intact)

At least you got yours - a few weeks back my daughter had to wait 24 hours plus for hers to be couriered from LGW because 'they had lost it' when supposedly transferring it from the aircraft to the carousel.  (It was all intact)

Was she flying with Ryanair? I've heard that if travelling with them often you can end up in a completely different country to your luggage.

• Like 1

Was she flying with Ryanair? I've heard that if travelling with them often you can end up in a completely different country to your luggage.

Outdated now, Mick o Leary charges so much for baggage , Ryanair passagners now live out of a handbag of clothes for two weeks, there’s no baggage to loose

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Like 3

With RyanAir YOU can end up in a completely different country to the one you intended, their idea of 'local' is rather different to everyone elses.

• RMweb Gold

No - and it wasn't the airline's fault but down to Gatwick handling.   Mind you many year's ago (and long before she became Mrs Stationmaster) my good lady flew from Heathrow to South Africa and her luggage went to a completely different continent - and that was down to what we nowadays call BA. 

• RMweb Premium

No - and it wasn't the airline's fault but down to Gatwick handling.   Mind you many year's ago (and long before she became Mrs Stationmaster) my good lady flew from Heathrow to South Africa and her luggage went to a completely different continent - and that was down to what we nowadays call BA. 

A man went to book a ticket for his travel.

"I would like to book a ticket for myself to San Francisco and my luggage to Sydney".

"We can't do that, sir"!

"Why not, you did last time"!

• Like 2

Of course everyone is assuming a drone sighting ,maybe even visual proof ,but if you want flights stopped without giving the game away  to someone then its a fine idea.Go figure suckers ......your part of the game .

Should see some of the nutjobs on YouTube commenting on it . It’s anything but a drone, more likely them black helicopters bubba

Probably the same loons who reckon all the aircraft at Gatwick have a button, thus...

post-450-0-45414500-1546633186_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...