Hornby - New tooling - 57' Bow-ended suburban coaches

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The crimson 9 compartment version scrubs up well with some subtle weathering. They really are superb coaches.

25104609_DSCN5028(3).JPG.518457e4b7277fe68e9e4087dabeac27.JPG

Here's the shot from the Works...

IMG_6822.jpg.9b39e079730c6c8597b839e2ffb24e2b.jpg

Worth noting there wasn't anything missing on the coach (so nothing adrift in the box).

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

No, the vac bags were always in the same place, to the left of the drawhook as you looked at the end of the coach.  The hose (bag) was quite stiff, and would have been difficult to wrestle into position for a differently handed one on an adjoining vehicle.  The bags passed beneath the coupling so that they would be knocked apart if the coupling failed and dropped on to them, applying the brake automatically.  Of course, if the coupling was under tension when it failed, they'd be pulled apart a very short time after, but this covered all bases.  

Vacuum bags were only held in place by the locating horns and a split pin when the vacuum was destroyed, but for most of the time in traffic there was vacuum in the system and they 'sucked' themselves together firmly enough.  They could be disconnected by hand, though, and this was advisable if you had to 'go between' to prevent any movement in case the driver had forgotten you were out of sight down there!

The steam heating bags were to the right of the drawhook and also crossed beneath the coupling when connected.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I so wanted to get a couple of sets of these but cancelled my order as I "couldn't afford them" then promptly purchased 34 (Yes 34) coach kits and 4 Hornby Hawksworths since!

I need help.....(mentally)

• Friendly/supportive 4

10 minutes ago, lofty1966 said:

I so wanted to get a couple of sets of these but cancelled my order as I "couldn't afford them" then promptly purchased 34 (Yes 34) coach kits and 4 Hornby Hawksworths since!

I need help.....(mentally)

I wouldn't panic. I've a feeling these will be in the catalogue for years.

Maybe move quickly if you want a specific set such as the Birmingham one. As people buy single carriages and you might miss out on the full set. I had terrible trouble getting the full 1960s Brighton Belle set as people were buying the centre cars yet there was loads of the driving cars available.

Jason

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I wouldn't panic. I've a feeling these will be in the catalogue for years.

Jason

I'm not panicking, I'm more concerned about the "not affording them" and then spending probably more on all the kits.

Mind you they were all good deals on e-thief so "I had to"

• Friendly/supportive 1

My first few arrived today, I don't often buy 'new' models, I've been trying to make do with what I've got as I can't always justify some of these newer prices, however I just couldn't let these pass.

These are stunning models, and I believe with a little bit of weathering and some paint to the interior these models will be mind blowing. Very happy to say the least.

Screenshot_20190326-011302.jpg.3164799efc0954031fffd502501ccbb2.jpgScreenshot_20190326-011259.jpg.c4e04bd71f769f1d4199b858204895fc.jpgScreenshot_20190326-011253.jpg.8cd1a1a28f8c0a953176f612148ca9b0.jpgScreenshot_20190326-011247.jpg.4aedd1799139d4fc0fafd867e174058f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, trainsandco said:

My first few arrived today, I don't often buy 'new' models, I've been trying to make do with what I've got as I can't always justify some of these newer prices, however I just couldn't let these pass.

These are stunning models, and I believe with a little bit of weathering and some paint to the interior these models will be mind blowing. Very happy to say the least.

Screenshot_20190326-011302.jpg.3164799efc0954031fffd502501ccbb2.jpgScreenshot_20190326-011259.jpg.c4e04bd71f769f1d4199b858204895fc.jpgScreenshot_20190326-011253.jpg.8cd1a1a28f8c0a953176f612148ca9b0.jpgScreenshot_20190326-011247.jpg.4aedd1799139d4fc0fafd867e174058f.jpg

Gawd ! I so want these it hurts ;-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Chester Division according to the photos.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/430580/Hornby_R4876A_Collett_57_Bow_ended_non_corridor_brake_third_Left_hand_5503_in_GWR_chocolate_a/StockDetail.aspx

Which means it'll be that set for me. I was waiting to see if they were Chester sets.

Jason

B****r!

I should have waited.....I am just working out how to re brand my Birmingham set....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyone want a  4 car Chester set.....................?

Either that or I feel a heavy weathering coming for the ends of the carriages concerned.............

Who was it on here said A suffix was for London Division???????

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Wot, you've found a model railway shop in Asia Minor?

Sadly not - although here in Baggers there is a well functioning full scale railway.  there is down South too, but someone told me that railways here are regional and don't join up!

I never found any suppliers in Dubai either - i had to take all my stuff there in the hold luggage, apart from thinners, and i found a local substitute for that - BBQ lighter fluid!

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

Either that or I feel a heavy weathering coming for the ends of the carriages concerned.............

Railtec offer custom GWR Toad depot branding for about £2.50.... I already have a set of Granby transfers I will check how they look size wise and let you know

Cheers

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, M.I.B said:

I only thought that tye A suffix ones were gonna be London Division, I never fully stated that they would be London Division ones.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

I have ordered a pair of custom "LONDON DIVISION" logos from them.  thanks John.

Glad to help......what was the railtec item# I cant find it?