Hornby - New tooling - 57' Bow-ended suburban coaches

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

Welp, I got a payment declined thing for the two composites and left hand brake 3rd so that means they must be coming into stock soon.

That's because some but not all of the GWR versions are in stock on the Hornby website.;)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/02/2019 at 16:21, Clearwater said:

Am I right in thinking the only external differences between these Hornby models and the two earlier series of coaches (D86/d91 and E124/125) is the type of bogie?

David

I think the 86 and 91 have an extra guards compartment window on one side only between the single door and the passenger compartment.

Edit - the Hornby one has this as well but they've only showed that side in one photo which I missed before.

Edited by Hal Nail

On 19/02/2019 at 06:35, Hal Nail said:

I think the 86 and 91 have an extra guards compartment window on one side only between the single door and the passenger compartment.

Also the earlier series were close coupled without buffers  according to Russel. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2019 at 20:27, Miss Prism said:

The D87/E124 sets were close coupled. The D95/E125 sets had conventional drawgear. Both types were bow-ended, and ran on fishbelly bogies. See:
https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrms1787.htm

sources contradict each other over D86 or D87, which is a corridor brake in Russell. Anyway re the original question, looks like modification from the Hornby models would be possible - although I wouldn’t fancy doing the extra window personally!

Edit - just noticed there is the extra guards window on the model but it's only showing in one photo out off all the various brake end shots so far. So those other diagrams could be done quite easily in fact. 

Edited by Hal Nail
updating info

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

sources contradict each other over D86 or D87, which is a corridor brake in Russell.

Hmmm, yes. I think the diagram we are talking about in this context should be D86. My mistake.

(I'll send Mike Musson a suggested correction.)

Edited by Miss Prism

I am certain that the info. MUST have been given on one of the eleven pages of this tread - but can I find it? (No).

Within the four Lots covered by Hornby's forthcoming models, is it known which individual vehicles were LH, and which were RH?

The Lot list in 'GWC 1890-1954' (Harris) doesn't distinguish between LH and RH.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks to the assistance of list members, I have now doubled the size of the following sheet from my range, to include all of the BR(WR) running numbers applicable to the forthcoming bow-ended suburban stock from Hornby.

Sheet BL171 – BR numbering for ex-GWR coaches; (designed specifically to suit 4mm. scale RTR models).

2mm., 3mm., 3.5mm. &  4mm. scale price is £15.00

S scale price is £30.00

7mm. scale price is £45.00

Gauge 1 price is £60.00

(See https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm )

At this time, information as to which vehicles within each Lot were LH, and which were RH, is not to hand. I will include this information in the instruction sheet if / when it comes to light.

As yet, I have been unable to compile a full list of set numbers / formations; (though the Birmingham area sets in 1950 are recorded). If further information comes to light, I will produce a sheet of set end numbers at a later date.

I trust that potential purchasers of the new coaches find these transfers useful when expanding their fleets beyond the vehicles supplied ready-numbered by Hornby !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The first examples are now hitting the shops with both Kernow and here Rails having them on the shelf.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37353/Hornby-r4874-oo-gauge-gwr-collett-57-bow-ended-e131-nine-compartment-composite-left-hand-6360

My wallet is starting to get nervous; I will have to take it up the pub to calm it down...  I have a little time left before the BR versions turn up, though.

This is excellent news and a very good performance from Hornby; less than two months from announcement to shelves, but they must have been quietly in development for a good while!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

This is excellent news and a very good performance from Hornby; less than two months from announcement to shelves, but they must have been quietly in development for a good while!

Engine shed says they began work in 2017.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Oh one could hope so! 

On the basis that Hornby do a cracking job on the suburban bow-enders, it's quite reasonable to assume that they (Hornby) will not attempt a Toplight model for quite a long time.  That leaves us with another manufacturer to pick the Toplight gauntlet.

Roll up! Roll up! Place your bets! 

Have a great weekend folks,

Ian.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I think you're right, but not because of the quality or otherwise of the suburbans; Hornby now have a very large range of GW coaches available; two types of clerestories, the Collett 57' gangwayed and now non gangwayed, toolings for Centenaries, the old Airfix B set and A23/30 auto trailer, and the Hawksworths.  That's a fair spread and it is unlikely that they will dilute demand for any one type by introducing yet another type now.  

The good news from the perspective of anyone after toplights is that, for the same reason, the competition will be all the more keen to bring a different type to market and toplights repeatedly score well in wishlists.  We may well see RTR toplights, but not from Hornby!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

So then,roll the dice....top lights from?  I think we can rule out Bachmann this side of eternity and consider which of the competition has form in reproducing coaching stock in rtr 4mm.The one which immediately springs to mind is Rapido which has just produced the dyno car for Rails.In both 2mm and 7mm scale,Dapol can do the business as they have recently with the O gauge auto coach but there’s a curious gap in any 4mm coach stock .

Don’t see either Accurascale doing it atm as they now have a full order book for some time to come,though they are perfectly capable of doing it as other forum threads demonstrate and the same goes for Revolution.

So whither Hornby next with GWR coaches ? They are easily capable of upgrading their auto coach and the neglected  Collett restaurant car,the latter I remember placed forever in the Swansea portion of all Paddington-South Wales trains.And yes,the top lights too in the seeming muddle that once made up GW expresses.

Good luck to whomsoever grasps the nettle of designing and producing one in 4mm.It’s a minefield.I’d love to see them finally made to current standards but probably not in my lifetime.Not that I have any intention of heading towards any equivalent of Dai Woodham’s yard any time soon,I hasten to add.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

What about Oxford?  They are in the game with mk3s.  

I too remember Collett restaurant cars on South Wales expresses in the 50s, even after mk1s were introduced, but these were the refurbished vehicles with sliding window ventilators, which would need a completely new tooling.  This may be why H have fought shy of upgrading theirs.

I agree the auto could be easily improved, and should be!  Perhaps it could finally decide whether it was an A28 or an A30...

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

What about Oxford?  They are in the game with mk3s.  

I too remember Collett restaurant cars on South Wales expresses in the 50s, even after mk1s were introduced, but these were the refurbished vehicles with sliding window ventilators, which would need a completely new tooling.  This may be why H have fought shy of upgrading theirs.

I agree the auto could be easily improved, and should be!  Perhaps it could finally decide whether it was an A28 or an A30...

After the balls up they made with the mk3 colours, we would probably get orange and blue Toplights so hopefully no.

• Friendly/supportive 2