RMweb

Wheel cleaning on a DCC loco

I used the Peco loco wheel cleaners set which I clip on the rails of my test track, connect my DCC controller, put the loco upside down in a cradle, select the loco and clean it the same way as a DC loco. 

Hope that makes sense.

Steve.

I used the Peco loco wheel cleaners set which I clip on the rails of my test track, connect my DCC controller, put the loco upside down in a cradle, select the loco and clean it the same way as a DC loco. 

Hope that makes sense.

Steve.

So i would need to work out what +/- is on my track is that right ? 

thanks for your reply , Ian 

Edited by IanClive

Ian,

A method I use is to lay a strip of paper towel across the track and spill some Iso Propyl Alcohol (IPA) on to it, then place the driving wheels of the loco on the paper whilst keeping one of the wheelsets with pickups on the uncovered rail.  If you then hold the loco still whilst setting the controller to run at a reasonable speed so that the driving wheels revolve, you will find that a lot of dirt will appear on the paper towel.  To clean non-driving wheels, you need to invert the loco (preferably in a suitable cradle, then wipe the wheel tyres with a cotton bud soaked in IPA whilst turning the wheels by hand.

Harold.

• Like 1

There different methods of cleaning depending on factors such as if the wheels are powered or not so you can use such things as scrapers or cotton bud cleaners dowsed in a solvent that will dissolve away after use (such as iso-propyl alcohol}

At the moment I use the Gaugemaster GM 60 cleaner which I find is very good.

There is some information here if you use this link

http://www.gaugemaster.com/articles/product-spotlight/model-railway-wheel-cleaning.html

Ian,

A method I use is to lay a strip of paper towel across the track and spill some Iso Propyl Alcohol (IPA) on to it, then place the driving wheels of the loco on the paper whilst keeping one of the wheelsets with pickups on the uncovered rail.  If you then hold the loco still whilst setting the controller to run at a reasonable speed so that the driving wheels revolve, you will find that a lot of dirt will appear on the paper towel.  To clean non-driving wheels, you need to invert the loco (preferably in a suitable cradle, then wipe the wheel tyres with a cotton bud soaked in IPA whilst turning the wheels by hand.

Harold.

A common technique in the USA, I understand. I tried it myself recently, on some of my O Scale locos, a couple of which I thought had decently clean wheels already. What an amount of dirt on the kitchen towel - and what a difference in running afterwards!! 

• RMweb Premium

I have a pair of DCC Concepts rollers with wires soldered to the frames. Dead easy to apply power whilst the loco is upside down and cleaning other wheels with a cotton bud.

However, it does rely in a certain amount of cleanliness in the first place and pickups on both wheels of that axle.

It does also help to turn down the acceleration CV3

I'll try and get a photo tomorrow.

Edited by newbryford

For powered wheels a proprietary wire brush type cleaner connected to the layout or power section bus  trough a DPDT ( or similar) switch and just use the loco's code is the simple (?) way.

For non powered wheels you are basically stuffed and will have to resort to lots of scraping and dipping in noxious liquids as no one seems to have created a decent revolving cleaner to clean non powered wheels.  I have played with designs for a cleaner with twin rollers revolving at different rates from time to time but its never become a priority for me as I use DC with heavy locos and Relcos.  

For non pin point axles removing the wheels and polishing the treads by clamping the axle ends in a power drill chuck and scraping with a needle file and or sand paper, 

Top tip: take steps to reduce dirt at source (unless you are an enthusiast for cleaning!)..

Eliminate plastic tyred wheels, traction tyres, soft metal wheels such as aluminium tyred, from the layout.

Care in lubrication, especially a change to modern greases where applicable as these 'stay put',

Non fluffing textiles in the layout room (a hard floor is best).

• RMweb Gold

There different methods of cleaning depending on factors such as if the wheels are powered or not so you can use such things as scrapers or cotton bud cleaners dowsed in a solvent that will dissolve away after use (such as iso-propyl alcohol}

At the moment I use the Gaugemaster GM 60 cleaner which I find is very good.

There is some information here if you use this link

http://www.gaugemaster.com/articles/product-spotlight/model-railway-wheel-cleaning.html

Another vote for the Gaugemaster GM60 type system - ours is Trix but essentially the same beast

Best buy 2 and link them together to deal with everything up to the dreaded 16 wheel 1co-co1 behemoths - powered wheels only of course

And never allow stock with plastic wheels on to your layout!!!!

Phil

I’ve used other methods but found IPA and paper towel to be best. As others have said it’s staggering how much dirt comes off “clean” wheels. IPA and cotton bud for non driving wheels, wagons etc and a CMX track cleaner loaded with track cleaner for the track. Everything gets cleaned on purchase before running for first time - a lot of dirt comes off new wheels...! Traction tyres also banned.

• RMweb Premium

I have a pair of DCC Concepts rollers with wires soldered to the frames. Dead easy to apply power whilst the loco is upside down and cleaning other wheels with a cotton bud.

However, it does rely in a certain amount of cleanliness in the first place and pickups on both wheels of that axle.

It does also help to turn down the acceleration CV3

I'll try and get a photo tomorrow.

Pics of my "wired" rollers. Make sure you unscrew the side plates from the plastic spacer before soldering the wires to the frames.

post-408-0-48205700-1546169305_thumb.jpg

Clipped to the DCC supply and away you go - I normally put the loco in a foam cradle

post-408-0-75598700-1546169306_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Pics of my "wired" rollers. Make sure you unscrew the side plates from the plastic spacer before soldering the wires to the frames.

attachicon.gifroller1.jpg

Clipped to the DCC supply and away you go - I normally put the loco in a foam cradle

attachicon.gifroller2.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Going off topic but that roller device is just what I need for low friction pick ups on my 14XX trailing axle.    Can I use your pics to illustrate my ideas please?  I just need to turn the rollers so they are outboard.

To clean non powered wheels a pair of rollers like these but powered separately so one revolves faster than the other but in the same direction would clean the wheels, the wheels would have to revolve but also have to slip against either one or the other or both rollers. These could be serrated or small wire brushes.  Its something I have been working on, well dreaming about in especially boring meetings, for years.

• RMweb Premium

Going off topic but that roller device is just what I need for low friction pick ups on my 14XX trailing axle.    Can I use your pics to illustrate my ideas please?  I just need to turn the rollers so they are outboard.

To clean non powered wheels a pair of rollers like these but powered separately so one revolves faster than the other but in the same direction would clean the wheels, the wheels would have to revolve but also have to slip against either one or the other or both rollers. These could be serrated or small wire brushes.  Its something I have been working on, well dreaming about in especially boring meetings, for years.

No problem in using the pics.

Cleaning unpowered wheels is easy - just turn them by hand using the ball of your thumb on the flange (ooh-err Missus!) whilst using a cotton bud in IPA on the other wheel on the same axle. Unless they are the free floating wheels that used to plague Hornby 6 wheel power bogies...………..

Cheers,

Mick

attachicon.gifroller1.jpg

attachicon.gifroller2.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

I like that idea, one question though. Might seem a stupid thing to ask but if you hold the roller like that while turning the wheels do you ever get zapped?

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

I like that idea, one question though. Might seem a stupid thing to ask but if you hold the roller like that while turning the wheels do you ever get zapped?

Steve.

no. (edit - not yet!)

What is the best / easiest way to clean the back of the wheels and pick ups?

Cotton bud with IPA after removing the crud from behind the wiper with a pair of fine tweezers or scalpel, depending on access to them

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Gold

I use dremel (or cheap equivalents) felt polishing discs with a drop of IPA for non powered wheels, works a treat, turning them and cleaning them with a bit of gentle pressure. you could use it in conjunction with newbryfords roller device to do powered wheels as well.

If you are running dcc and have dc switched off you can simply alter the cv setting to allow dc running, clean and service using dc. Just switch it back off in the cv settings if you prefer to have it disabled to avoid runaways under dcc. I also use a dc powered wire brush and scraper device on the powered wheels to remove heavy crud and then wipe over with a cotton bud dipped in IPA.

On my track i use small oblong pieces of hardboard, cut just wider than the track, a squirt of IPA on the bottom edge of the rough side then slide it round your track, rough side down. Again this combination works well, is cheap as chips and doesn't leave you with the 'swarf' you get from a track rubber. Just cut a bit off the end after each cleaning session.

• Like 1