Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

4mm loco crew - which make and which way round?

• RMweb Gold

I too am a supporter of Falcon Masterpiece figures; I have crew in every one of my locos and his are in the majority, but I have also used Hornby ones where provide, Dart Castings and Modelu - which are certainly very good indeed.

Martin Hill at Falcon will certainly send you a list which includes both painted and unpainted versions, if you e-mail him at: masterpiecefalconfigures@yahoo.co.uk and I find his delivery is quick and totally reliable.

(No connection other than as a satisfied customer).

Tony

One of the things about Falcon Figures is that they aren't too big for the cabs, something that bedevils other ranges. Also he has so many that you can mix and match, I put the set for the 1F into Dapol Sentinel so I had to buy another set! He doesn't do anything for the demu era though

• RMweb Premium

Someone mentioned painting. i am not aware of all the ranges mentioned, but are the painted versions appropriate to the period of the model? That's one advantage of painting them yourself, and of ModelU who offers various periods, as does Andrew Stadden.

Jonathan

One thing I've noticed about the 3D scanned figures are many of them are a bit "portly" or well built, and middle aged. Probably a bit like the scannees. ;)

No offence to anyone as I'm getting that way myself.

Would steam era firemen like the one on the Dean in post #29 really be like that or more likely a young skinny lad?

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Someone mentioned painting. i am not aware of all the ranges mentioned, but are the painted versions appropriate to the period of the model? That's one advantage of painting them yourself, and of ModelU who offers various periods, as does Andrew Stadden.

Jonathan

Blue serge overalls or bib and braces were pretty much universal, as were grease top caps, certainly for most of the steam era in the 20th century, and once dirty, which took about 5 minutes on most footplates, merged into a sort of grey-blue.  If there is a complaint about the painted crew figures, it is that they are far too clean; I find that weathering solves this and brings out facial features as well.  

Some drivers sported neckerchiefs and even goggles for leaning out of the cab at speed, but this is pushing it a bit on a BLT IMHO.  Anything red was discouraged in case it was mistaken for a flag.

• RMweb Gold

One thing I've noticed about the 3D scanned figures are many of them are a bit "portly" or well built, and middle aged. Probably a bit like the scannees. ;)

No offence to anyone as I'm getting that way myself.

Would steam era firemen like the one on the Dean in post #29 really be like that or more likely a young skinny lad?

Jason

Firemen tended to be younger than drivers, but in the BR era this was becoming blurred a little as passed fireman had to wait a long time for their driving jobs unless they transferred, which men with family commitments were unwilling to do.  Many had been transferred as younger firemen during the war years and had had to endure railway hostel living conditions (hot bedding) and had had to wait a long time to come home, usually having to drop a grade in the process; who wanted more of that!  Both grades came in all shapes and sizes, but a properly overweight fireman would be unusual; the job was pretty physical and even drivers had to climb about a bit.  The 'strongest' fireman were usually considered to be the little wiry guys; they were agile, fit, didn't lose as much in sweat as larger men, didn't take up too much room on the footplate and were by default nearer to the fire hole level so exhausted themselves less bending over to it.  

I applaud the Modelu approach, which recognises that not everybody had the poise and bearing of Scalescenes or Bachmann fine specimens.  Real railwaymen were varied in form and often pretty scruffy, hunched to keep warm, and round shouldered.  Some were just plain pug ugly...

• Like 1

You could of course have yourself scanned in cab crew outfits which Modelu offer.

Though not in a uniform my avatar is myself leaning on a fence.....whilst waiting the chaps before me were dressed as a driver and his friend as a fireman so they could be seen 'driving' the locos on their club layout.

• RMweb Gold

The following is slightly off-topic but it's one of my bête noires so I'm jumping at the chance to air it:

So often people who produce otherwise really wonderful models seem to paint their figures with a gloss or satin finish! I see it all the time in magazine photos and it always ruins the scene for me. Clothes should not be shiny (outside of the Disco).

Sorry everyone, but I'm glad I got that off my chest. As you were.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My tip is to get the driver and fireman on the correct side of the engine eg MR, GWR were righthand drive, LNWR lefthand etc unless your driver is letting the fireman drive of course.

My tip is to get the driver and fireman on the correct side of the engine eg MR, GWR were righthand drive, LNWR lefthand etc unless your driver is letting the fireman drive of course.

Is that viewed from the front or the back?

Firemen tended to be younger than drivers, but in the BR era this was becoming blurred a little as passed fireman had to wait a long time for their driving jobs unless they transferred, which men with family commitments were unwilling to do.  Many had been transferred as younger firemen during the war years and had had to endure railway hostel living conditions (hot bedding) and had had to wait a long time to come home, usually having to drop a grade in the process; who wanted more of that!  Both grades came in all shapes and sizes, but a properly overweight fireman would be unusual; the job was pretty physical and even drivers had to climb about a bit.  The 'strongest' fireman were usually considered to be the little wiry guys; they were agile, fit, didn't lose as much in sweat as larger men, didn't take up too much room on the footplate and were by default nearer to the fire hole level so exhausted themselves less bending over to it.  

I applaud the Modelu approach, which recognises that not everybody had the poise and bearing of Scalescenes or Bachmann fine specimens.  Real railwaymen were varied in form and often pretty scruffy, hunched to keep warm, and round shouldered.  Some were just plain pug ugly...

I once chatted with a guy who was in the army during the days of National Service, and he said the military police always liked to get firemen, as they were built like the brick proverbial and could take care of troublesome squaddies with ease.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 02/01/2019 at 22:40, F-UnitMad said:

Wow - I wonder if the Dapol/Ex-Airfix moulds have worn somewhat over the years, as I don't recall my set of Airfix men looking so out of proportion - 'big headed' back in the 1980s.

They are not the same moulds. The Dapol ones are new tools but with very similar poses, but when you see the two together you can see the differences and, yes, the Dapol figures are chunkier. I did some comparative photos in this post.

• Like 1

With DCC and some of the tiny motors available a driver who swivels around and looks where he is going shouldn't be impossible, or a fireman at the back of a tender frantically shovelling coal forward...