The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Man Lovingly Tends B17 Crash Site

Night Train

Yes, it was a very moving interview yesterday. Tony talked for some time about the incident and said he saw the pilot waving to him to get away as he tried in vain to get the plane down without injury to the crew. That thought stayed with him ever since and it was just pure chance that he met Dan Walker out with his dog. He had no idea who Dan was and simply described hime 'as a bloke out walking his dog'....

Since the first time the story was aired a month or so, it has taken off via social media and is now well reported around the world. This morning they said that a nephew of one of the crew in the US is certainly aware of the story and he may come to the UK for the flypast on the 22nd February.

• Like 3

Looks like the names of the crew are on the memorial. I wonder if their relatives were traced and have been kept informed, especially of this event.

Apparently one of the relatives will be coming over, I been following this story and when I watched it I couldn't stop the tears flowing! This guy has shown selfless devotion to remembering the bomber crew, I'm so glad he will get his wish. Seeing the way Honours are dished out at New Year etc here is someone that truly deserves something. I wish there were more of his kind in this world. A real unsung hero.

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

It made me see Dan Walker in a new light too. I had previously tended to dismiss him as a bit of a lightweight on TV, a competent sports presenter who was always a bit too full of “in” jokes and chit-chat to be taken seriously on the breakfast prog.

He showed his true worth bringing this story to everyone IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just a gentle reminder guys, the flypast to honour the 10 aircrew killed all those years ago will be tomorrow and will be on BBC Breakfast. Unfortunately Dan Walker who brought Tony to our attention has had to go off to to Kilimanjaro for a charity mountain climb, so will miss the moment.

One of most tear jerking moments for years.......

A lovely story after all the Brexit stuff.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful flypast this morning and the look on Tony's face was fantastic.  Just a shame that the quality of the video feed from the helicopter went so bad when the Osprey and C130 flew past.

I wonder if anyone tried to get the Sally B (the only airworthy B17 in the UK) involved...

Edited by johndon
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, johndon said:

Wonderful flypast this morning and the look on Tony's face was fantastic.  Just a shame that the quality of the video feed from the helicopter went so bad when the Osprey and C130 flew past.

I wonder if anyone tried to get the Sally B (the only airworthy B17 in the UK) involved...

Apparently Sally B spends the winter months undergoing major engineering work ready for the summer flying season.

Looked to be an epic turnout in Sheffield. Well done Tony and everyone else.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if seeing the B17 Sally B might have been more than Tony could have coped with - I just feel so sorry for the poor bloke who appears to have struggled with guilt for all those years. IMHO he has absolutely nothing to feel guilty about, he was just a boy playing with his mates.

Edited by Colin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

Had tears in my eyes watching this today, throughout and leading up to the Event Tony has always said ''it's for them" What a humble selfless man, if any body deserves an honour it's this guy. 

Well done to Dan Walker and the BBC for getting it all together as well.

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Markwj said:

Have seen some of the flypast on t'internet so what was involved I saw C130, typhoons what looked like f15's and the Dakota. What else flew over?

thanks

mark

Copied below from BBC News

Planes that took part in the flypast

F-15E Strike Eagles from RAF Lakenheath

KC-135 Stratotanker

MC-130J Commando II

CV-22 Osprey from RAF Mildenhall

Typhoon from RAF Coningsby

Dakota from RAF Coningsby

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-47323045

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Or perhaps a USA honour.

That would be a lot more complicated than giving him a British award as the British Sovereign would have to approve the award as well as the US authorities. The basic rules are as below:

No UK citizen may accept and wear a foreign award without The Sovereign’s permission. Such permission must be sought as soon as there is an indication that an award may be offered.

The granting of permission for a UK citizen to accept an award offered by a foreign state will only be considered if the award recognises specified services rendered to the interests of that foreign state.

Permission will not be given for UK citizens to accept a foreign award if they have received, or are expected to receive, a UK award for the same services.

Under exceptional circumstances the British Sovereign may decided to grant an award for for service for which the recipient has already been given a foreign medal.