BLACKNEY, a Glimpse of the Forest

westerner

25 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Folding up a tarp like that was fairly easy

On the Railway I believe it was called "lapping". I don't know what the road term was - it was a dying art when I started driving for a living well over 30 years ago. I did some rope'n'sheet work myself, fortunately only on rigids, I never did a full artic trailer, and it's a rare thing to see these days.

On Alan's model, I take it the dolly knots are on the driver's side, so we can't see them? 😉  😁

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

On the Railway I believe it was called "lapping". I don't know what the road term was - it was a dying art when I started driving for a living well over 30 years ago. I did some rope'n'sheet work myself, fortunately only on rigids, I never did a full artic trailer, and it's a rare thing to see these days.

On Alan's model, I take it the dolly knots are on the driver's side, so we can't see them? 😉  😁

Get it right and with a double dolly you could do some damage to some loads... as you said it was a dying art, don't reckon half the young artic drivers could do that these days, tucking up the sheet with hospital corners like a bed and a pigs ear twist when the sheet rope was in the wrong place... Happy days

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Half - or more!! -  of young artic drivers wouldn't know how to change gear these days!!! 🙄🙄😉

Apparently,these days, it's all about fuel economy, the automated gearbox (NOT an automatic)and cruise control (use where ever possible) is the way forward.So speaketh the Haulage training experts.And we all know the definition of experts..............

atb

Phil

(43 years as an HGV driver)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Half - or more!! -  of young artic drivers wouldn't know how to change gear these days!!! 🙄🙄😉

Best way to learn Morris Minor van - no syncro on 1st and not much on 2nd....

Always fun even in today's van (Citroën Dispatch) to drive without the clutch... get it right it goes in perfectly smoothly

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 34006 said:

Apparently,these days, it's all about fuel economy, the automated gearbox (NOT an automatic)and cruise control (use where ever possible) is the way forward.So speaketh the Haulage training experts.And we all know the definition of experts..............

atb

Phil

(43 years as an HGV driver)

"Expert" a wee drip under pressure.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, John Besley said:

Get it right and with a double dolly you could do some damage to some loads... as you said it was a dying art, don't reckon half the young artic drivers could do that these days, tucking up the sheet with hospital corners like a bed and a pigs ear twist when the sheet rope was in the wrong place... Happy days

There’s still some sheet work on artic’s today mainly on fertiliser loads in tonne bags which must not be allowed to get wet during transportation. A lot of the flatbed trailer work today in the agricultural sector will involve sheet work with fertiliser and hay / straw. 

• Informative/Useful 2

My late father had learnt roping and sheeting back in the mid fifties when he used to work the summer holidays with his uncle delivering materials for the new housing estates. He showed me how it was done when I was briefly messing around with vintage lorries forty years later. It's a very useful skill to have even though I don't need it that often, but it's saved quite a few motorcycles falling over in the back of vans.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gismorail said:

There’s still some sheet work on artic’s today mainly on fertiliser loads in tonne bags which must not be allowed to get wet during transportation. A lot of the flatbed trailer work today in the agricultural sector will involve sheet work with fertiliser and hay / straw. 

Also much flat work is done in curtain siders with integral straps.Not only that,but the Men From the Ministry (VOSA) take a very dim view of any but the lightest loads being roped,ratchet straps and chains are the only alternative now.

atb

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, 34006 said:

Also much flat work is done in curtain siders with integral straps.Not only that,but the Men From the Ministry (VOSA) take a very dim view of any but the lightest loads being roped,ratchet straps and chains are the only alternative now.

atb

Phil

I collected some ex WD axles complete with  wheels for a friend, along with panels and odd boxes of bits. The axles were ratchet strapped onto the back of the Bedford TA5 and everything else packed around them and roped, A sheet was put over the whole lot and roped down. Even though I wasn't running for hire and reward and the lorry was obviously an antique (1955) I was still responsible for the load.

I've seen plenty of loads bulging out of curtain siders, especially when pallets have collapsed.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, 34006 said:

atb

Phil

It’s very true about your (VOSA) comment and I think the problem nowerdays that if it’s not in the manual it must be wrong 😡

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gismorail said:

It’s very true about your (VOSA) comment and I think the problem nowerdays that if it’s not in the manual it must be wrong 😡

Not in that industry, but experience from my industry tells me that inspectors who haven’t actually done can make wrong decisions.  But then inspectors too involved can also become blind to the facts (think 737-Max).

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 hours ago, John Besley said:

Continental artics seem to have wooden slats that drop into pockets to retain the load which seems sense to me 

Having had experience with continental trailers as I have recently been pulling DFDS trailers out of Immingham the wooden slats are as much use as match wood. Because these trailers are made as light as possible due to the amount of ferry work they are involved in the whole upper structure is very flimsy and the posts that the wood slots into has a great deal of movement making any restraint minimal. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 4 weeks later...