Class 92, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Don't tie everything back to price as other companies may have more structural overheads; if you do you'll always find a reason not to buy something you may need on that basis.

Might have been meaning the quality and engineering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scumcat said:

When you see this it shows what can be done Anything less should not be acceptable ever again

Oh great. So OHLE modellers are going to be asked "Why don't YOUR pantographs go up and down?" as the most popular question instead of "How do the wires go across baseboard joints?"

But yes, it's fantastic Accurascale can do it at both ends and still maintain weight and all axle drive. I tried it 25+ years ago with a Hornby 90 and the pan mechanism (from a RC car) and battery lights took up the rest of the body.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

What do we want? MORE CLASS 92s!

When do we want them? NOW!!!

Our arrivals from earlier today now in the warehouse... 

608647134_Shipment3(1).jpg.242f91afcfbd7e69ba6bc796062e5af9.jpg

826835299_Shipment2(1).jpg.e097c37918d9a390cb71d72e08950e47.jpg

838690065_Shipment1(1).jpg.4275dd12aeb541841ccd79506548ef41.jpg

Re delivery dates!

Friday 23rd Dec: OPEN
Saturday 24th to Tuesday 27th Dec:  CLOSED
Wednesday 28th to Friday 30th Dec:  OPEN
Saturday 31st Dec to Monday 2nd Jan:  CLOSED
Tuesday 3rd Jan onwards – Open normal hours

Domestic delivery cut-off date is 21st December and an International delivery cut-off date is 15th of December.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, 298 said:

Oh great. So OHLE modellers are going to be asked "Why don't YOUR pantographs go up and down?" as the most popular question instead of "How do the wires go across baseboard joints?"

But yes, it's fantastic Accurascale can do it at both ends and still maintain weight and all axle drive. I tried it 25+ years ago with a Hornby 90 and the pan mechanism (from a RC car) and battery lights took up the rest of the body.

Don’t forget though HO models have had controllable pantos for years, and in G scale for decades! It is just Accurascale are now bringing the kind of detail and model engineering enjoyed outside of the UK to our market now and amazingly for a lower cost than than we pay for the same old same old we have had for years, AS have really started shaking the UK model tree and great models have started falling from it, from other manufacturers as well.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Interesting thought…

3E9B0ECD-FD2C-4800-A5DA-A0DE1CD6A203.jpeg.162c48ab667f77d8b30bb7b2c00d6fa0.jpeg

class 90 22mm

class 86 23mm

Class 92 22mm

class 87 22mm

so all pretty much the same.

however, look at the detail of the pan well..

2B562E7E-707C-44AB-B67D-8DE678CE26E4.jpeg.6aa0372fc322b305ab52c760de8ad4f2.jpeg

I think that wins as the best 00 pantograph detail we have ever had.

Very interesting comparison, and it's hard to disagree with the statement that it's the best detailed pan there's been in OO!

I think the key difference in scale between them is actually the other way around, across the width of the pan head. I measured c5mm for the Accurascale 92; c3.5mm for the Hornby 87 across the hoops at the end (the widest part). The distance between the carbon strips is also similarly larger on the 92. Not huge, but about 10cm difference scaled up which is noticeable. I don't know which is closest to the prototype though....

Edited by VXDH92

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 298 said:

Re wires across baseboard joins, I’m pondering this right now, and I’m thinking of removable sections of wire between the gantries either side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

What do we want? MORE CLASS 92s!

When do we want them? NOW!!!

Our arrivals from earlier today now in the warehouse... 

608647134_Shipment3(1).jpg.242f91afcfbd7e69ba6bc796062e5af9.jpg

826835299_Shipment2(1).jpg.e097c37918d9a390cb71d72e08950e47.jpg

838690065_Shipment1(1).jpg.4275dd12aeb541841ccd79506548ef41.jpg

Re delivery dates!

Friday 23rd Dec: OPEN
Saturday 24th to Tuesday 27th Dec:  CLOSED
Wednesday 28th to Friday 30th Dec:  OPEN
Saturday 31st Dec to Monday 2nd Jan:  CLOSED
Tuesday 3rd Jan onwards – Open normal hours

Domestic delivery cut-off date is 21st December and an International delivery cut-off date is 15th of December.

Cheers!

Fran 

Nice. Don’t forget when I bought mine ACS was having the very popular “buy 1 get 1 free” deal.

Most missed that announcement in fine print.🙃

Edited by wairoa
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, scumcat said:

But as basil fawlty would say don’t mention the cost😂

Exactly, and that’s why I did, as AS seem to be able to include all this extra function and detail for less cost than the competition, regardless of “overheads” which always seem to be the excuse, just more likely a better profit margin required.

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Don’t forget though HO models have had controllable pantos for years, and in G scale for decades! It is just Accurascale are now bringing the kind of detail and model engineering enjoyed outside of the UK to our market now and amazingly for a lower cost than than we pay for the same old same old we have had for years,

Rule 7 though. "Thou shall not look at foreign layouts...."

• Funny 4

11 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Must have just been an illusion. 

Doh! They missed the carbon strips! LOL. 

Glad you say 'Best OO pan', best homemade pan and idiot goes to the guy at Kidsgrove who thought it was clever to carry a 9ft Copper pipe under 25KV wires.  The stupidity only got worse when he thought the rubber soles on his shoes would save him.... 

Sounds like he was too stupid even to be nominated for a Darwin Award.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 298 said:

Rule 7 though. "Thou shall not look at foreign layouts...."

I know, over 20 years ago I used to work in Japan a lot and brought back tons (well a bloomin’ lot) of Kato N stuff in my luggage and built and layout, all DCC with simple clip in decoders without taking the bodies off the EMU/DMUs remote points with built in motors, quad point crossovers as one piece and far, far better detail and completely different league of running qualities of our own home grown N gauge back then, Farish might have been clockwork compared to the Kato locos.

I didn’t dare look in the model shops when working in Europe…….yes OK I did, but at least didn’t get tempted as well 😆

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Exactly, and that’s why I did, as AS seem to be able to include all this extra function and detail for less cost than the competition, regardless of “overheads” which always seem to be the excuse, just more likely a better profit margin required.

Indeed, if the big players have higher overheads per unit sold then they're doing something wrong.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Indeed, if the big players have higher overheads per unit sold then they're doing something wrong.

Not neccessarily.

I’d wager the cost of an BR AC Electric would all be comparable to research, tool and produce.

So lets play hypotheticals…(these are educated guesses, i’m not privileged to any actuals). its also not hard to guess which classes i’m targeting.

class x may be a long term slow burner sales as there is only 10 in 1 livery

class y probably only has initial sale appeal in the first run, as there is only 1, and it only has a few liveries and spent 50% of its life in museums.

class z has multiple run appeal as there are a wide variety of liveries spread over a 30 year period with 50 class members to go at.

if a tooling costs £100k, and each model costs £80 to make today at the factory..

class x might predict to sell 3000 in run 1 and maybe 3000 over 10 years.

class y might predict to sell 2000 in run 1 and maybe 1000 over 10 years.

class z might predict to sell 6000 in run 1 and maybe 2000 over 10 years.

To get your £100k back you need to cover yourself in run 1 and leave yourself inflation room for the future,.

that might mean…

class x £33 per unit to cover tooling.. £110 out of the factory gate

class y £50 per unit to cover tooling.. £130 out of the factory gate

class z £16 per unit to cover tooling.. £96 out of the factory gate

Add in shipping, marketing, staffing, research, vat and a margin for a retailer.. and something for yourself for funding this work….

Then your looking at

X rrp £220, and extra £33 * 3000 (c£100k extra revenue in the future)

Y rrp £260, and extra £50 * 1000 (c£50k extra revenue in the future)

Z rrp £192, and extra £16 * 2000 (£32k extra revenue in the future).

Yet all are near identical time, research, quality and effort to produce a similar spec result.

Doesnt matter who makes it, demand is demand.

In my example, whilst z looks cheap, sells the most and washes its face today, in the future its least attractive and susceptible to higher price rises with inflation. Yet X, could get quite exciting in the future… even though its price today looks a little steep.

The other route is managing costs..

What some manufacturers are doing are lowering the spec, or the research, or the parts quality, in order to lower the cost per unit... which maybe to make marginal demand models viable at a lower price, but may also be to increase their own profit margin at a higher retail price.

Some other manufacturers maybe upgrading well sold toolings already, and have to factor in a large amount of customers wont upgrade, and lower their expectations of initial and future sales..

But higher end quality comes with a price tag, if the consumer isnt paying for it, then someone else is.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Not neccessarily.

I’d wager the cost of an BR AC Electric would all be comparable to research, tool and produce.

So lets play hypotheticals…(these are educated guesses, i’m not privileged to any actuals). its also not hard to guess which classes i’m targeting.

class x may be a long term slow burner sales as there is only 10 in 1 livery

class y probably only has initial sale appeal in the first run, as there is only 1, and it only has a few liveries and spent 50% of its life in museums.

class z has multiple run appeal as there are a wide variety of liveries spread over a 30 year period with nearly class members to go at.

if a tooling costs £100k, and each model costs £80 to make today at the factory..

class x might predict to sell 3000 in run 1 and maybe 3000 over 10 years.

class y might predict to sell 2000 in run 1 and maybe 1000 over 10 years.

class z might predict to sell 6000 in run 1 and maybe 2000 over 10 years.

To get your £100k back you need to cover yourself in run 1 and leave yourself inflation room for the future,.

that might mean…

class x £33 per unit to cover tooling.. £110 out of the factory gate

class y £50 per unit to cover tooling.. £130 out of the factory gate

class z £16 per unit to cover tooling.. £96 out of the factory gate

Add in shipping, marketing, staffing, research, vat and a margin for a retailer.. and something for yourself for funding this work….

Then your looking at

X rrp £220, and extra £33 * 3000 (c£100k extra revenue in the future)

Y rrp £260, and extra £50 * 1000 (c£50k extra revenue in the future)

Z rrp £192, and extra £16 * 2000 (£32k extra revenue in the future).

Yet all are near identical time, research, quality and effort to produce a similar spec result.

Doesnt matter who makes it, demand is demand.

In my example, whilst z looks cheap, sells the most and washes its face today, in the future its least attractive and susceptible to higher price rises with inflation. Yet X, could get quite exciting in the future… even though its price today looks a little steep.

The other route is managing costs..

What some manufacturers are doing are lowering the spec, or the research, or the parts quality, in order to lower the cost per unit... which maybe to make marginal demand models viable at a lower price, but may also be to increase their own profit margin at a higher retail price.

Some other manufacturers maybe upgrading well sold toolings already, and have to factor in a large amount of customers wont upgrade, and lower their expectations of initial and future sales..

But higher end quality comes with a price tag, if the consumer isnt paying for it, then someone else is.

I miss when this thread was about 92's and 92's with some 92 discussion occasionally have you managed to run them all together ontrack simultaneously yet

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, LaGrange said:

I miss when this thread was about 92's and 92's with some 92 discussion occasionally have you managed to run them all together ontrack simultaneously yet

We all wonder off like any bunch of mates chatting,its just as its quiet until batch two is hitting the despatch ramps.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, LaGrange said:

Hmm, a pastern is emerging in your posts.

Edited by adb968008

Fabulous models these! Really well done to all at Accurascale.

Had a thing for the prototype ever since I went to the Crewe ED open day in 94.

Can’t justify one at the moment, so will wait in hope that others will be released in future.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Since we are on RMWeb, we can safely spread this gospel! https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/reviews/five-things-we-like-about-accurascales-class-92

Cheers!

Fran 

1 hour ago, LaGrange said:

Fear not, there is always the DJM Class 92 in defunct suppliers.  It may be a tad quiet though..... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Oh no she doesn't.

However, when she brought me a cuppa whilst I was freezing my taters off in the office testing the functions, she did exclaim "Oooh!" when I gave her a bit of F17.

Did you say pantos up, pantos down to her and did she comply?

• Funny 3