D&s cowan sheldon 15 ton crane

Photos of mine on my workbench thread.

edit

My photos were, on the no longer working original RM Web from a few years ago.

A couple including the D&S Ex NER Riding and Tool vans I have just found.

post-7186-128086421389_thumb.jpgpost-7186-0-14732100-1310052312_thumb.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 3

Another one here - my build starts on page 15 of my thread.

I had two bits left - one I missed fairly early one, the other I couldn't make head nor tail of and when I asked Dan Pinnock he said he usually didn't bother with it either, whatever it was.

Had another thought.. don't use the supplied chain, get some of the 40 lpi stuff from Ambis, looks much better.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Informative/Useful 1

Definitely a bit of a beast this one, I had a couple of bits left over but it looks okay and is fine for me.....if you are doing the gwr version you will have to do the cab yourself, Brassmasters promised one yonks ago but it never materialised, when you come to paint it I found it best to be spray finished either with aerosol or paint sprayer, almost impossible to do it with a brush, I am very pleased with mine but I would wince if asked to do another one......all the very best.......Dave.....

Thanks for your replys I'm building mine as a BR western region example so I'm trying to find photos of them there's a few in the Peter tatlow books but once again seem to be very few about. 

Kind regards Neil 

On 15/02/2019 at 16:02, B15nac said:

Thanks for your replys I'm building mine as a BR western region example so I'm trying to find photos of them there's a few in the Peter tatlow books but once again seem to be very few about. 

Kind regards Neil 

Well here's one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30937/16058347352/

I'm keeping mine on ice until Brassmasters get their detailing kit out, but this is the prototype I'll be doing (I can't resist wasp stripes).

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any other photos of the Newton abbot crane? Did she have vacuum pipes fitted I believe the one at neath did. What colour was the plates fitted to her in the late 50's early 60's red or black backgrounds I'm guessing black with white writing? an also when did she get the wasp stripes as seen in the photo above? 

Kind Regards Neil 

I only see these come up on ebay now from Time to time i've seen 3 this year so far. Don't think you can buy them new at the moment? A bit more Done to mine this week I've managed to get the rigging to work manually so the jib will go up an down. I'm adding new brake levers of a great Western type an I've ordered all the makers plates an instruction plates etc.

DSC_0129.JPG

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, B15nac said:

I only see these come up on ebay now from Time to time i've seen 3 this year so far. Don't think you can buy them new at the moment? A bit more Done to mine this week I've managed to get the rigging to work manually so the jib will go up an down. I'm adding new brake levers of a great Western type an I've ordered all the makers plates an instruction plates etc.

DSC_0129.JPG

Whee have you ordered the plates from please ? I never knew anyone done them when I built mine.

2 hours ago, micklner said:

Whee have you ordered the plates from please ? I never knew anyone done them when I built mine.

Oh, yes, what he said, who does plates?

I saw another one on the MRC secondhand stand at Ally Pally today, £25 and I now have 3 of these cranes!

Jon

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, B15nac said:

Thanks

guess I will keep searching ebay

9 hours ago, B15nac said:

These are the plates I'm having made by guild plates they have made me plates Before that were superb. These will have a Black background. 

_20190324_223600.JPG

Cant find a website for them, how did you order, is there a reference number etc for the set  please ? Thanks

From supplier.text: (email and phone removed)

Guilplates
(Gareth Floyd)
4 Thorn Bank
Guildford
Surrey
GU2 7PL
tel: 01483 XXXXXX or 01483 XXXXXXX
e-mail: guilplat 'at' globalnet.co.uk
etched 4mm scale loco name, number and works plates, and transfers for many pre-grouping companies (GCR, GER, HR, L&YR, LBSCR, NBR, NER, SECR), although not all are available in 4mm scale

• Thanks 1