A4 Tenders Differences

There's an ashpan lever on the right hand side and possibly some other bits. I know someone used to make a conversion kit that included all the parts but I'm not sure who and I doubt it's still in production.

Jamie

• Like 1

I know exactly what etches you are talking about. The main issue is the right shape, ashpan lever, and the reverser rod.

Also, I don’t know what this is, but what is the cable that is connecting to the body and back wheel? I don’t see this consistently on models.

CAD43E55-65CB-4929-8C94-00EA9C9CA7AA.jpeg

1 hour ago, JamieR4489 said:

There's an ashpan lever on the right hand side and possibly some other bits. I know someone used to make a conversion kit that included all the parts but I'm not sure who and I doubt it's still in production.

Jamie

Brassmasters do a A4 detail set.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, micklner said:

Brassmasters do a A4 detail set.

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Brassmasters I think.

Jason

I saw that they do, but what about the de-valancing?

• 8 months later...
On 11/05/2019 at 23:40, Ribird said:

I saw that they do, but what about the de-valancing?

As far as the De-Valancing goes try sending a message to S.A.C Martin on here or emailing Simon Martin at copleyhill@outlook.com

He has a thread on here about some etched he made for converting valanced A4's https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58921-Hornby-a4-de-valancing-conversion-kit-messers-harvey-martin/  he may be out of them now though as I emailed him toward the end of 2019 and he struggled to find a complete set.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

As far as the De-Valancing goes try sending a message to S.A.C Martin on here or emailing Simon Martin at copleyhill@outlook.com

He has a thread on here about some etched he made for converting valanced A4's https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/58921-Hornby-a4-de-valancing-conversion-kit-messers-harvey-martin/  he may be out of them now though as I emailed him toward the end of 2019 and he struggled to find a complete set.

Because they don't make them anymore. The simplest answer now is to pencil line and follow it. For the maintenance flaps, will have to hand make them. The lamp irons, other places still make LNER lamp irons.

Hi, have just seen this thread sorry as it's just resurfaced.

If I can just clear up the point earlier about the brake pipes.

Those locos dual-braked in preservation with air brakes fitted have three brake pipes, not two.

British passenger stock uses the two-pipe air brake system and in the photo of Bittern posted earlier the two pipes visible are both air brake pipes, the brake pipe (red) and reservoir pipe (yellow).

Although it doesn't show clearly in the photo, the original vacuum pipe is also still present.

The vacuum pipe's around twice the diameter of the air pipes and doesn't have an isolating cock, hence always clipped back on the dummy plug, as shown on photos, when not in use.

The reason for being dual-braked, as above, locos that still operate on the mainline require air brakes for all the mainline stock now in use, but the vacuum needs to be retained as stock on preserved / heritage railways is still vacuum.

On the subject of pipes, there's also the steam heating pipe, positioned on the opposite side of the coupling to the brake pipes. Originally (as express locos that wouldn't operate tender first) only on the tender (though again probably can't be fitted if Hornby coupling retained), but those working on preserved lines may have had one fitted to front also. In the photo of Bittern it's visible below the 'A4' marking.

Edit; In the photos in the post on page 1 showing the different tender types, on the rear of Bittern's tender the three brake pipes are visible to the left of the buckeye, and the steam heat pipe to the right of it.

(corridor tenders have buckeye couplers, non-corridor have screw couplings).

Edited by Ken.W
Edit to add
  • Like 1