Ash Lane

georgeT

Moving away from 'Grundy Street' for a while and onto a new venture nothing too grand just a small coal yard in the early 50s on the south coast somewhere why?  steam does not fit it on 'Grundy Street', so as l like both era'sl l have decided too make 'Ash Lane', with copper-clad points and track it will still be DCC Sound but nice and small so it will fit onto my workbench, that's the plan anyhow.

DSC04865.JPG

DSC04866.JPG

DSC04868.JPG

DSC04869.JPG

DSC04870.JPG

DSC04871.JPG

DSC04872.JPG

DSC04873.JPG

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Moving away from 'Grundy Street' for a while and onto a new venture nothing too grand just a small coal yard in the early 50s on the south coast somewhere why?  steam does not fit it on 'Grundy Street', so as l like both era'sl l have decided too make 'Ash Lane', with copper-clad points and track it will still be DCC Sound but nice and small so it will fit onto my workbench, that's the plan anyhow.

DSC04865.JPG

DSC04866.JPG

DSC04868.JPG

DSC04869.JPG

DSC04870.JPG

DSC04871.JPG

DSC04872.JPG

DSC04873.JPG

That looks neat mate, I hope to get up at the weekend for a Breakfast, so looking forward to seeing it then.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ian Major said:

George,  

If this is a South Coast layout I will have to stick a DCC chip in my B4!:D

Ian.

Hello lan, l have two Terriers and two Pannier tanks, all in BR black so you'd better chip up your B4 for sure...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andrew P said:

That looks neat mate, I hope to get up at the weekend for a Breakfast, so looking forward to seeing it then.

Looking forward to it buddy, breakfast sounds good, and maybe apple pie and ice cream later ?

• Like 1

Cracking start George looking forward to seeing how this 'second' layout develops ........now is thou going to start another layout between Ash Lane & Grundy Street...... 4mm or 2mm :smoke: could call it Trinity Cross maybe :jester: or Grumpy Ash 

• Funny 4

Highly impressive woodwork George. That sector plate is so neat, almost a work of art! I can only dream of producing something like that! 

If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions of the layout?

Looking forward to seeing this develop :good_mini:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gismorail said:

Cracking start George looking forward to seeing how this 'second' layout develops ........now is thou going to start another layout between Ash Lane & Grundy Street...... 4mm or 2mm :smoke: could call it Trinity Cross maybe :jester: or Grumpy Ash 

Morning Martin, Love the name of 'Grumpy Ash' suits me down to a T, but seriously 'Ash Lane' is just a scenic board to play with the ever increasing number of steam locos l can't resist in buying,, The latest being a Ixion Hudswell Clark 0-6-0 Contractor's Tank,  to go with the two Terrier's and the two Pannier's totally out of region but l love it, l fitted a sound chip in and could play with it all day long, great stuff....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Highly impressive woodwork George. That sector plate is so neat, almost a work of art! I can only dream of producing something like that! 

If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions of the layout?

Looking forward to seeing this develop :good_mini:

Good Morning South-Tyne, Thank's for the kind word's and encouragement as l have mentioned 'Ash Lane' is a REALLY small layout that fit's on my workbench but it will be self contained with a fiddle yard, hand built track etc etc, and it only measures 7' x 1'8" (plus l added an extra 6" on the sector plate), when not in use it stands on end in the corner....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, georgeT said:

Good Morning South-Tyne, Thank's for the kind word's and encouragement as l have mentioned 'Ash Lane' is a REALLY small layout that fit's on my workbench but it will be self contained with a fiddle yard, hand built track etc etc, and it only measures 7' x 1'8" (plus l added an extra 6" on the sector plate), when not in use it stands on end in the corner....

Thanks George, that's really useful. Exactly the kind of space I have available so I am really looking forward to seeing what you do. Have you settled on a trackplan yet?

Cheers,

David

• Agree 1

Hello David, Once you get over the dream of not having a ten coach train and thirty wagon freights you realise that in O gauge you have to think small very small, but as they say small is beautiful. so there will be a point off the sector plate and another in the yard, only two, as l say l don't do plan's l just go where it take's me. Hahahaha

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, georgeT said:

Hello David, Once you get over the dream of not having a ten coach train and thirty wagon freights you realise that in O gauge you have to think small very small, but as they say small is beautiful. so there will be a point off the sector plate and another in the yard, only two, as l say l don't do plan's l just go where it take's me. Hahahaha

George, cracking advice. I also have that attitude and love small and micro layouts, perfect for shuffling a few wagons about.

Ha ha, well I look forward to seeing it develop! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That soldering looks very neat George.

I'll be interested to see how this layout develops. I've got an OO gauge layout around all four walls of our garage but I also have a stock of several small O gauge locos, a few built wagons and a few unbuilt kits. I don't want to ditch the 4mm layout as it can accommodate 4-5 "users" for a good running session. However, I need something more than two lengths of O gauge track to test run locos that I seem to keep being given to fit DCC decoders in.

I have in mind something hinged in the centre and about 7ft long and up to about 18" wide with a separate plain fiddle yard board.

I've got a couple of ideas that I keep swapping between and then I get another loco to fit a decoder to! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Looks good mate, it's very close to the edge of the Baseboard, so will you have a Wall along the front there?

Not got a lot of choice buddy as l haven't  got much room, just have to be careful....

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ian Major said:

Good grief George,

When I pay you a visit, you will have to slow down or else you will give me a heart attack! I can't cope with this high speed stuff.:o:D

(the other) Ian

Hello the other lan, l have to be quick  before l change  my mind ? Hahaha....

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Ray H said:

That soldering looks very neat George.

I'll be interested to see how this layout develops. I've got an OO gauge layout around all four walls of our garage but I also have a stock of several small O gauge locos, a few built wagons and a few unbuilt kits. I don't want to ditch the 4mm layout as it can accommodate 4-5 "users" for a good running session. However, I need something more than two lengths of O gauge track to test run locos that I seem to keep being given to fit DCC decoders in.

I have in mind something hinged in the centre and about 7ft long and up to about 18" wide with a separate plain fiddle yard board.

I've got a couple of ideas that I keep swapping between and then I get another loco to fit a decoder to! 

Morning Ray, Welcome on board, it's nice to have other projects to work on as it keeps your mind active glad to hear you have a little O gauge in your life, as l never plan a layout, l just let it happen, l think a 7' plank will give you some fun if you just want to shunt a few wagons around much better than a length of track.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1