Rail exp 168

reevesthecat

Website now update with whats in next issue must be due today or tommorrow including 'honest' review of Heljan 86!

mark

edit as predicted arrived today

reviews of Heljan/Dapol 86

falcon modelled in its final days

bit of news and thats it really

main mag fasline freight focus and regulars

In the thread on REx165 I wrote that they seemed to be having trouble generating enough feature articles for the prototype magazine. Looks like Jarvis' misfortune might be REx's gain: they have a good author and I imagine that the Fastline story would make a pretty interesting article.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Looks like Jarvis' misfortune might be REx's gain: they have a good author and I imagine that the Fastline story would make a pretty interesting article.

Jim

i was hoping to have a few "insider" photo's in that article but unfortunatly i only used my nokia N95 for taking photos so when they tried to use some of them they weren't a high enough resolution, which is a shame.

i did help out a little bit with the article though, i've read the finished text but not seen it in print yet, looking forward to it.

wonder if there are any photo's of me?

• RMweb Premium

My sub copy has also arrived. Although not an overhead electric man (my traction runs on 750 DC from a third rail - proper way to operate :P ) I did read the Heljan 86 review with interest and boy does it not pull any punches, basically its a crock of cak.

Funniest article was the ongoing (and admittedly sometimes tedious) Mostyn series where a number of major failures at Ally Pally were finally blamed on interference from the TV mast on the roof - sorry but I find that explanation/excuse to be a load of dangly reproductive organs.

Lovely article on FastLine I must say.

My sub copy has also arrived. Although not an overhead electric man (my traction runs on 750 DC from a third rail - proper way to operate :P ) I did read the Heljan 86 review with interest and boy does it not pull any punches, basically its a crock of cak.

That's the good thing about the internet- the slightest "areas for improvement" are known within hours of the initial photos being released that those in the know might not have spotted. But surely they must have found one positive aspect of the model...?

I don't think the Heljan review mentions anything not already said in the thread on here, was puzzled by the mostyn problem explanation but stranger things have happened I suppose.

God feature on fastline freight and also election special with the views of each party on the railway but considering we have to cut public spending and apparently network rail is overspent I can't see how any will deliver what they say.

Editorial mentions the mremag poll and do we need a D&E poll.

eeerrr yep

mark

But surely they must have found one positive aspect of the model...?

They're very complimentary about the underframe equipment. Not about the whole underframe - the bogies come in for a proper kicking - but the underframe equipment. In fairness, the compressors etc. do look rather nifty in the photos.

Jim

They're very complimentary about the underframe equipment. Not about the whole underframe - the bogies come in for a proper kicking - but the underframe equipment. In fairness, the compressors etc. do look rather nifty in the photos.

Jim

I have a feeling the framework where the second compressor was only has one cross member when there should be two. It wouldn't be difficult to put right, but it's not as if it's the only mistake.

i'll let you know if its me when i get my copy!!

It's difficult to tell, but I think you might be in one or two

You're mentioned in the text at the end, anyway!

cheers

jo

• RMweb Gold

It's difficult to tell, but I think you might be in one or two

You're mentioned in the text at the end, anyway!

cheers

jo

not going to see my copy til tuesday, the excitement is killing me!!

Funniest article was the ongoing (and admittedly sometimes tedious) Mostyn series where a number of major failures at Ally Pally were finally blamed on interference from the TV mast on the roof - sorry but I find that explanation/excuse to be a load of dangly reproductive organs.

John,

You clearly have a technical ability and a knowledge of EMI issues way in excess of both mine and other members of MERG (who considered the explanation entirely reasonable). I wonder, can you offer an alternative explanation?

Regards

David Faulkner

• RMweb Gold

John,

You clearly have a technical ability and a knowledge of EMI issues way in excess of both mine and other members of MERG (who considered the explanation entirely reasonable). I wonder, can you offer an alternative explanation?

Regards

David Faulkner

I have a simpler level of understanding and all I can say is we didn't have problems with Charlotte Road* and some of the the chips are a lot older (and some are the same 1025s) in our kettles. I was also bemused as to how the EMI only choose the down line to affect, presumably because its "down sarf?"

Strange that no one else has had their decoders affected - must be bad luck I guess :unsure:

* we did clean all the stock thoroughly before we attended.

Funniest article was the ongoing (and admittedly sometimes tedious) Mostyn series where a number of major failures at Ally Pally were finally blamed on interference from the TV mast on the roo

I find the idea of the TV Mast affecting Mostyn's trains in this way to be amusing - imagine your DCC sound Deltic coming out with Jeff Stelling from Sky Sports News :lol: brings a whole new meaning to "Sky Digital"

Seriously, can the DCC chips really be affected in this way? <_< There's tons of phone masts/TV dishes scattered about the roof of the Birmingham NEC and I didn't hear of any of the layouts at Warley having problems like this.

And yet, after eliminating dirt or faulty components / connectors as the cause, I’m still to hear an alternative explanation.

Cheers

David

P.S. Nice to know people are reading the articles.

I would prefer to see some proof that they did affect components in this way. If you must put a portion of blame anywhere, at least back it up with the relevant facts.

Ah, the old 'any publicity is good publicity' fallbacksmile.gif

And yet, after eliminating dirt or faulty components / connectors as the cause, I’m still to hear an alternative explanation.

I would prefer to see some proof that they did affect components in this way. If you must put a portion of blame anywhere, at least back it up with the relevant facts.

“When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.â€

smile.gif

• RMweb Gold

Cheers

David

I think you need to consider logic - the mast is unlikely to just affect one line, and is even more unlikely to only affect the scenic section - how does it know ?? - sounds like a power district fault to me but as I wasn't involved in the diagnosis then I can't say much more and nothing with certainty.

PS - Insomnia needs a cure ;)

How in depth is the article on Falcon? I'll get this issue if its a good one.

I'd say not bad at all. If I wanted/had a model of said machine to rework then I'd have bought the magazine for that fairly brief feature though a few more prototype pictures would have been useful. The rest would go in the recycling almost immediately. This is not to disparage the magazine, the photography and repro' is excellent, I'm simply not all that interested in the present-day content/analysis.

Adam

“When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.â€

There is that, yes, but normally that's reserved for the completely unexplainable...like Steven Gerrard's back pass in the last Chelsea-Liverpool fixture :lol: ;)

Archived