DJM, Peters Spares and Digitrains excellent service

SweenyTod1

I really must make a comment here of what happened in the last 24 hours.

A friend of mine had bought a J94 many months, if not a year, ago. It ran happily on his layout using a GM dc controller ( as it should). Last Wednesday he took it to another layout with  Kentrol controllers. It ran for a little while, then stopped dead. The instructions which came with the loco says not to use feedback control.

I discovered this info when he brought me the loco to sort out. After all the checks I could think of, I stripped it down to examine the motor. Definitely dead!!

On the phone to Peters Spares, who don't hold any DJM spares, but directed me to speak to Dave direct. This I did, we had a nice chat, but he doesn't have spares either! He passed on all his spares to Digitrains. Soooo, a call to them, puchased a new motor with DCC chip/ blank plate already wired, which I received in less than 24 hours, reassembled the loco. Job's a good'un.

Excellent service all round I'd say, but there's a moral here folks. Kentrol controllers are very good and a shame they are not being made again after the problems they had. They are Feedback controllers and my friend now knows, "if in doubt"read and apply the instructions! 

So there we are, a cautionary tale dear modellers. Enjoy the hobby.

Tod

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Bedlington North said:

Glad you are sorted...

Do you not consider it slightly odd that the manufacturer doesn't hold spares?

Odd maybe, but he must have his business reasons and I got a very speedy result even so.

Tod

3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

So you spoke to Dave today?

No. It was yesterday. If you read my post, note the 24 hour bit!

Tod

1 hour ago, truffy said:

And he had...information! ;)

Indeed he did and I am very glad of it too. That's what you get when you ask nicely.

Tod

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bedlington North said:

Glad you are sorted...

Do you not consider it slightly odd that the manufacturer doesn't hold spares?

I believe that Hornby some years ago made a decision not to hold spares,  referring people to places such as Peters Spares.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• AY Mod locked this topic