The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I expect you’d have found it was a “normal” size but the exact tyre type/make wasn’t available on the replacement market at that time, this often happens on new release cars........you should have tried to get a spare tyre for a BMW i3 after they came out.....one type, one manufacturer ONLY......situations better now but still Bridgestone are the only approved (and decent) supplier. :excl:

No, it is a unique size of tyre fitted only to some 3008s and some derivatives of Renault Kadjar. The size was not available in any brand. I suspect the size was chosen as a piece of French humour ; they are probably still laughing about making life difficult for British owners. The thing that really racked me off was zero help from Peugeot and their dealers with this problem on a car that was less than a year old at the time. Based on this one example of customer service I wouldn't touch a Peugeot with a barge poll.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Some SUVs handle pretty well, admittedly these tend to be the road based crossover type rather than offroaders. The Jaguar I Pace is such a crossover and arguably the best all round car on sale. The problem for many of them is because of weight and a high of g the suspension becomes excessively stiff to control roll and give good handling. The ones set up for easy cruising as opposed to sharp handling can be very pleasant. 

I would love e an F-pace or even and E-pace but as I don’t spend more than a few grand on cars I suspect it will be a long long time before I get my hands on one and by then it would be a knacker! 

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Chris M said:

No, it is a unique size of tyre fitted only to some 3008s and some derivatives of Renault Kadjar. The size was not available in any brand. I suspect the size was chosen as a piece of French humour ; they are probably still laughing about making life difficult for British owners. The thing that really racked me off was zero help from Peugeot and their dealers with this problem on a car that was less than a year old at the time. Based on this one example of customer service I wouldn't touch a Peugeot with a barge poll.

BMW had metric tyres at one stage on 535, was cheaper to replace wheels and tyres than just tyres.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MJI said:

BMW had metric tyres at one stage on 535, was cheaper to replace wheels and tyres than just tyres.

So did Citroen and even on the original Ford Granada

Michelin TRX as I recall

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, big jim said:

I would love e an F-pace or even and E-pace but as I don’t spend more than a few grand on cars I suspect it will be a long long time before I get my hands on one and by then it would be a knacker! 

The F-Pace we test drove at our dealer launch would have been perfect then, it was the 2 litre with the new Ingenium diesel, we took it off the forecourt drove 50 yards  turned around and took it directly back and asked if there was a problem with the car as it was so bloody noisy. I had never driven a diesel luxury vehicle that was so bad.....the salesman said “it’s normal the 2 litre is noisy, if you want a quieter diesel how about the 3 litre?”......I kid you not!

We have driven several with the same engine since and they were fine, that one was already a “knacker” :lol:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

So did Citroen and even on the original Ford Granada

Michelin TRX as I recall

So did metros and montegos but not maestros (thankfully) for some reason 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

I understand, but have you tried one of the smaller SUV type,

Yes.

Also the problem with the smaller ones (and even some of the bigger ones) is the lack of boot space which, when compared with a smaller (outside dimensions!) conventional estate cars, SUVs are a triumph of style over substance! When you have to carry a wheelchair and lots of other equipment they are useless. ;)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

Yes.

Also the problem with the smaller ones (and even some of the bigger ones) is the lack of boot space which, when compared with a smaller (outside dimensions!) conventional estate cars, SUVs are a triumph of style over substance! When you have to carry a wheelchair and lots of other equipment they are useless. ;)

We get my Mum’s wheelchair in the back of the i3 let alone the 4X4......I assume yours is motorised?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, russ p said:

So did metros and montegos but not maestros (thankfully) for some reason 

Yes, I remember the Montegos had them (turbos I think) but never knew the Metro did.

edit, actually thinking about it, our first new car a Citroen Visa Super-X had the Michelin TRX, must have been the same size as the Metro had at that time....315mm as I recall?

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Yes, I remember the Montegos had them (turbos I think) but never knew the Metro did.

edit, actually thinking about it, our first new car a Citroen Visa Super-X had the Michelin TRX, must have been the same size as the Metro had at that time....315mm as I recall?

I think the metro may have been 315, they were more or less 12.5in rims

Metros are a problem with tyres the later turbos have 185/55r13 which other than some horrible camacs are unavailable now. Mine needs tyres but had toyos and handled fantastically so reluctant to put camacs on it

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, russ p said:

I think the metro may have been 315, they were more or less 12.5in rims

Metros are a problem with tyres the later turbos have 185/55r13 which other than some horrible camacs are unavailable now. Mine needs tyres but had toyos and handled fantastically so reluctant to put camacs on it

Could you use 185/60 R13?

They were common at one stage

• RMweb Premium

We have a small crossover, we bought it primarily for the electric powertrain. The boot isn't huge but it is usable and probably similar to conventional hatchbacks of a similar size. Interior space is also similar to a regular hatchback but a bit higher. I think packaging often gets relegated in importance relative to style regardless of car type. Plenty of conventional hatchbacks aren't especially spacious inside and have small boots and there have been estate cars that were all style over form (anyone remember the Alfa 156 wagon?).

11 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

We get my Mum’s wheelchair in the back of the i3 let alone the 4X4......I assume yours is motorised?

No, it's a folder, but we also carry lots of other stuff (apart from travel bags) such as folding toilet surround, bed rest to lift up the pillows, etc., etc. I can get the wheelchair in my daughters Colt but not much else so just because it fits the wheelchair doesn't mean it's big enough! I've worked out that i need at least 550l boot and apart from medium sized (Golf/Astra/Focus) estates and above very few cars have enough space. And most 4x4s and SUVs are smaller than that, the larger ones that might be big enough are well outside my price range, both running costs and purchase price. Believe me I've tried looking at all sorts of vehicles and the 4x4/SUV usually ones come out bottom for practicality, large bulky things on the outside but very little usable space where it matters (to us!)...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Hobby said:

No, it's a folder, but we also carry lots of other stuff (apart from travel bags) such as folding toilet surround, bed rest to lift up the pillows, etc., etc. I can get the wheelchair in my daughters Colt but not much else so just because it fits the wheelchair doesn't mean it's big enough! I've worked out that i need at least 550l boot and apart from medium sized (Golf/Astra/Focus) estates and above very few cars have enough space. And most 4x4s and SUVs are smaller than that, the larger ones that might be big enough are well outside my price range, both running costs and purchase price. Believe me I've tried looking at all sorts of vehicles and the 4x4/SUV usually ones come out bottom for practicality, large bulky things on the outside but very little usable space where it matters (to us!)...

Dare I say how about the Freelander 2, the most reliable Land Rover ever and with 755 litres of boot space, released in 2006 they range from under £2K for a grotty early one to almost £20K for the last Metropolis version?

We bought a early one because we wanted a petrol version (transverse 6 cylinder no turbo Volvo engine) and it’s been bloody marvellous for our occasional long journey to Norfolk and nothing has gone wrong unlike the 2012 Range Rover we had before!

edit, ours has NEVER failed an MoT in its 12 year life......:good_mini:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

You can suggest it but I'd dismiss it out of hand! The boot is certainly big enough but why on earth would I need the rest of it?!! Heavy on fuel, more expensive to service, 4x4 i don't need, too high up for easy access by SWMBO, the list goes on! Bear in mind initially I was talking purely about SUVs, at no point did i say I needed a 4x4 and I stand by my original comment that modern SUVs are just a fashion fad rather than anything practical.

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Hobby said:

You can suggest it but I'd dismiss it out of hand! The boot is certainly big enough but why on earth would I need the rest of it?!! Heavy on fuel, more expensive to service, 4x4 i don't need, too high up for easy access by SWMBO, the list goes on! Bear in mind initially I was talking purely about SUVs, at no point did i say I needed a 4x4 and I stand by my original comment that modern SUVs are just a fashion fad rather than anything practical.

They do come with just front wheel drive as wheel SD4e version......just a suggestion......

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I have given you the reasons i wouldn't take one, if you read that post and earlier ones you would realise that my wife can't get in and out of them easily. I think that's enough of a reason, eh?!! ;)

Alright......

14 minutes ago, MJI said:

SUV & 4x4, isn't the whole point the 4x4ness?

For a proper 4x4 it certainly is, but SUVs are more of a fashion statement so the all wheel drive isn't a necessity, it's the looks that matter more and doing a 2 wheel version usually reduces the price! ;) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_utility_vehicle

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Hobby said:

For a proper 4x4 it certainly is, but SUVs are more of a fashion statement so the all wheel drive isn't a necessity, it's the looks that matter more and doing a 2 wheel version usually reduces the price! ;) 

The 2WD FL2 was launched at the time of "economy is everything" it was just a nod to get the MPG figures up, looks good on paper.

So many SUVs certainly are just 2WD and TBH I cannot see much point unless it is just for the owners vanity, or they really do need the room/height over a saloon/hatchback.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Hobby said:

But that is a silly idea, may as well buy something like a Yeti

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Seriously, though, thanks for the suggestions, TBH if I really needed that amount of space I'd probably look at one of the van based cars such as the Berlingo as being more suitable.

Subaru Legacy Estate (Wagon) sir, we have brought a king sized mattress from Ikea twice in the back of one (OK folded over!). Normal car height, permanent 4x4 (AWD), great tow car too :)

• Like 1