The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I'm puzzled why everyone wants me to buy a 4x4. I can't remember the last time i drove anywhere that needed it, All it would be for me is a weight penalty affecting fuel consumption!

Maybe we are all secret car dealers? :lol:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I'm puzzled why everyone wants me to buy a 4x4. I can't remember the last time i drove anywhere that needed it, All it would be for me is a weight penalty affecting fuel consumption!

We don't, we are correcting some misinformation and explaining why some do.

Your original post seemed quite negative towards them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I found 4wd invaluable Winter 2018 the snow really settled and I had no issues getting to work, I did drive both ways in diff lock for added stability.

Other occasions have been floods when I was one of the few vehicles which could get through. Back in the last really bad ones.

2007 I think

1 flood damage writeoff

1 stuck in work village

1 floated like a boat but got home

1 damp inside with some electrical issues easily fixed - me

I had an Omega at the time, 2 days later went on holiday, so repaired fans and when parked up left all windows open, took a week to get smell free.

I had moved the air intake pipe before entering the floods, had to fill with fuel twice in a mile as drastically low (Autogas then petrol).

Last floods prior to this year they were up to my doors in two places.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just driven my ‘new’ suv/4x4 back from Newbury to hams hall, didn’t miss a beat at all, not much power compared to the Murano but a lot better fuel consumption and not as rattly!

44853BA5-B2A0-42B6-B4ED-65318C279CE0.jpg

got to head back to london now before collecting it in the early hours of the morning for the final leg home, and then to tell my wife it’s her new car as she doesn’t know yet! 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MJI said:

We don't, we are correcting some misinformation and explaining why some do.

Your original post seemed quite negative towards them.

What misinformation? My post was correcting some misinformation given by people who use them and SUVs! It's interesting that 4x4 owners always get so defensive and have to justify why them have them whenever someone questions the need for them, though...

However the negativity was more to SUVs than true 4x4s, I can see the reasoning behind the latter, the former (especially in 2wd guise) just look to me like a fashion accessory that just makes life difficult for other road users on the school run, though they can see ok so that's alright then! ;) 

That's the trouble these days, everyone has to have something bigger than they had before/their neighbour has/than they need... So cars are getting bigger and bigger and there are more of them and we haven't enough roads, and the noise, and the pollution...

Now that's a true moan!! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, MJI said:

Could you use 185/60 R13?

They were common at one stage

Unfortunately not even with the correct tyres there is only about 10mm clearance of the radius arm

175/60 gives about 5mm which is unacceptable so may have to go 175/50

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, russ p said:

I think the metro may have been 315, they were more or less 12.5in rims

Metros are a problem with tyres the later turbos have 185/55r13 which other than some horrible camacs are unavailable now. Mine needs tyres but had toyos and handled fantastically so reluctant to put camacs on it

Avon ZZS are available, bloody pricey but if you have no choice and they are great tyres.....Mytyres have about 30 or so in stock now.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Slightly OT but if anyone is after some discount wiper blades for their ‘modern classics’ or not so modern classics even euro car parts website has 50% off wipers until midnight tonight (28th feb) 

just got a set for the murano, they wanted £60 for Bosch flat blades (so £30) but strangely had a budget pair for £4.80, so £2.40, at that price it’s worth a try, if they are really really rubbish then in the bin they go! 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Given its rally heritage, I doubt it!

Aesthetically, I prefer Mitsubishi Evo's, but that's a peachy Scooby.

C6T. 

i remember the bug eye scooby coming out  and thinking ‘NO’ they have ruined it, it took the aggressive looking edge away from it, looking at them now I think they are actually a better looking car than it’s predecessor 

the wheels on redgates car are flipping gorgeous, those in black on my mini would look great but I’d have to change the brakes for some big calliper brembo’s for the full visual (and stopping) effect, it’s actually an easy mod in the mini as the JCW cars have bigger brakes but it’s the cost! 

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, big jim said:

Slightly OT but if anyone is after some discount wiper blades for their ‘modern classics’ or not so modern classics even euro car parts website has 50% off wipers until midnight tonight (28th feb) 

Oddly enough I saw that this morning trying to buy a set for the i3......guess what.....no chance :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Avon ZZS are available, bloody pricey but if you have no choice and they are great tyres.....Mytyres have about 30 or so in stock now.

Aren't they a track tyre for caterham?

17 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Plenty of conventional hatchbacks aren't especially spacious inside and have small boots and there have been estate cars that were all style over form (anyone remember the Alfa 156 wagon?).

But at least the 156 was a lovely car to drive.

13 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

The 2WD FL2 was launched at the time of "economy is everything" it was just a nod to get the MPG figures up, looks good on paper.

So many SUVs certainly are just 2WD and TBH I cannot see much point unless it is just for the owners vanity, or they really do need the room/height over a saloon/hatchback.

Matra Rancho in the 1970s seemed to be the first pseudo SUV with 2wd

12 hours ago, Hobby said:

We used to have a Jaguar X Type with 4wd, and also an Alfa 33 P4 (permanent 4wd). With the x type it was quite useful, and good in the snow, but a very non sporty car. The 33 was brilliant fun. In both cases 4wd improved the cars.

All the best

Katy

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Hobby said:

I don't think that "everybody" does. Certainly not my first choice for on road use but necessary for getting across the farm in wet conditions. Also needed 4wd a few times in snow on the steep hills around Shaftesbury.

Not the same need now that I have moved. But I would have felt rather safer in a 4x4 over the last couple of weeks of floods and deep mud on the road.

• RMweb Premium
On 27/02/2020 at 18:20, russ p said:

So did metros and montegos but not maestros (thankfully) for some reason 

I seem to recall that getting the correct size tyres for a Metro GTI was a PITA back in the day.

Think it only shared the size with the Renault 5 Turbo.

I ended up going for a set of Yokohama’s on the Metro, the handling was brilliant !!

Can’t remember what size the tyres were, and I’m not taking all the covers off it in the garage to have a look. :lol:

cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

I seem to recall that getting the correct size tyres for a Metro GTI was a PITA back in the day.

Think it only shared the size with the Renault 5 Turbo.

I ended up going for a set of Yokohama’s on the Metro, the handling was brilliant !!

Can’t remember what size the tyres were, and I’m not taking all the covers off it in the garage to have a look. :lol:

cheers,

Phil.

I had a set of toyo proxies on it and they were fantastic. May go yokohama 175/50

On 27/02/2020 at 17:40, boxbrownie said:

So did Citroen and even on the original Ford Granada

Michelin TRX as I recall

dont even get me started on "Denovo " runflats had a set of them on my fiat Panda only tyres that would go on the rims 80 quid each and that was in 1984 ended up buying some after market wheels and tyres for half the price 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, peanuts said:

dont even get me started on "Denovo " runflats had a set of them on my fiat Panda only tyres that would go on the rims 80 quid each and that was in 1984 ended up buying some after market wheels and tyres for half the price 

Don’t worry been there also, our Mini 1275GT had them, forgot all about that.

They actually seemed like good tyres, but it was a flawed run flat system TBH, early days in the history of RF technology so I’ll let them off :D

• Like 1