The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

Nice pics Jim, hope you and the lad had a good time. Did you ask around for advice about your own FTO?

I must admit I'd have spent the entire day slobbering over Skylines, S2000s and those new pointy NSXs. Heaven!

C6T.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Did you ask around for advice about your own FTO?

we only saw 5 FTOs over the whole site! 

there was a whole area we didn’t reach though despite walking over 6 miles according to my watch, looking at the show guide there didn’t appear to be a dedicated FTO owners club present

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2024 at 13:34, Captain Cuttle said:

Could have spent part of its life by the sea as thats a killer or may have come from some parts of Scotland where cars can last only five years because of the salt they put down.

interesting you should put this, my neighbour walked past the car earlier and said “that’s got a Lothian registration number” he’s from Linlithgow and recognised the prefix on the plate 

8 hours ago, big jim said:

interesting you should put this, my neighbour walked past the car earlier and said “that’s got a Lothian registration number” he’s from Linlithgow and recognised the prefix on the plate 

Yes thats the reason, Its the same in the U S where they use road salt. Keep  the car power washed  underneath regularly and you are fine. Out of sight and out of mind though.

Something to check on in the future Jim, are there others in the market available or is that an ultra rare car?

Iwas watching a YT video where someone found a rare Mazda coupe RX-3 from the seventies in a scrapyard completely rotted out and in danger of collapse but because not many came to the UK it was worth saving. 

8 hours ago, big jim said:

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Something to check on in the future Jim, are there others in the market available or is that an ultra rare car?

it’s not ultra rare as in, worth a fortune, but there are none on autotrader as far as I know and only a couple on eBay, one is a rust free restored example for £12k and another for £3300, I’m hoping we can salvage it as it’s unusual, it’s not in original condition as the wheels are different and according to @Quarryscapes the spoiler is different too 

after japfest dom said he doesn’t fancy another MX5 as there were hundreds and hundreds of them there and I’ll admit it’s inspired me to get the FTO on the road as we only saw 5 there 

2 minutes ago, big jim said:

it’s not ultra rare as in, worth a fortune, but there are none on autotrader as far as I know and only a couple on eBay, one is a rust free restored example for £12k and another for £3300, I’m hoping we can salvage it as it’s unusual, it’s not in original condition as the wheels are different and according to @Quarryscapes the spoiler is different too 

after japfest dom said he doesn’t fancy another MX5 as there were hundreds and hundreds of them there and I’ll admit it’s inspired me to get the FTO on the road as we only saw 5 there 

Hope it works out, are underbody parts still available?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Hope it works out, are underbody parts still available?

You can get pre formed corners and chassis rails but I’m hoping it can be welded easy enough but I’m really not sure, if I can get some of the prep work done myself that might save a few quid on the welding, as for things like brake pipes and the like they are readily available, I’ve read that the rear callipers can be a killer on them as they are hard to get hold of should they be seized 

• Agree 1

If you haven't already found them, Amayama is an excellent place to get Japanese parts from, they've kept many of my cars going - including sourcing the new rear quarter panel to repair my FTO aftert he accident. 

This is what yours should have looked like from the factory Jim with the standard wheels and pre facelift spoiler. Many people in FTO circles incorrectly called the facelift spoiler the Version R spoiler and thought it was somehow sought after. The version Rs had nothing special, the spoiler design just changed in the 1997 facelift along with the front bumper, and version Rs weren't available pre facelift. (A version R was a GPX but with all the extras removed that you paid extra for, making it a GP with a GPX engine and the unique trimmed front seats. A Version R Aero Series got you to pay extra again to put back some of the bits Version R took off - foglamps and sideskirts)

lgjwpq4gkop91.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Got a new toy the other day, a scissor lift, handy for the FTO and mini (that needs the brake discs changing)

IMG_5736.jpeg

got the FTO off the road and onto the drive by firing it up and driving it into position then it was up in the air for a quick look to see just how bad it really is, honest opinion, it’s no worse than the MX5 was corrosion wise to my eye but I’m not a welder! 

the worst part is the corner of the floor pan on both sides, those will need totally cutting out and renewing, the chassis rails appear to look worse than they are, couldn’t poke through them but I didn’t really try too hard 

Passenger side floor pan corner

IMG_5740.jpeg

Drivers side 

IMG_5742.jpeg

solid Floorpan otherwise, hopefully just a good rub down with a wire brush and underseal etc

IMG_5739.jpeg

Missing cat and broken flexi on the down pipe so obviously they will need to be replaced by new parts and I’ve got the rest of the exhaust from quarryscapes to collect at some point 

IMG_5738.jpeg

i then tilted the car forward on the platform to get a good look at the rear end 

IMG_5741.jpeg

Generally I think a good clean up, wire brush and underseal as well as the required welding and it should be salvageable as it’s not too bad 

IMG_5743.jpeg

i didn’t go under the car or start poking around as it’s there was no secondary bracing (axle stands) should the lift fail, Ill have to get myself some tall ones for when the car is tilted forward or backward, I’ve got 4 decent short ones for when I’m working on it and it doesn’t need to be as high such as when I do the brakes and clean up under the arches 

mechanically as I say I managed to move it to position by driving it, only had it running for about a minute as it’s going to need the fluids and belts doing, also noticed the fuel tank is a bit rusty inside when I put a splash of fuel in it to fire it up (2 litres or so), can it be flushed somehow when the time comes to look at the mechanicals 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Lifted the carpets for a look from the inside and have a poke around and the car now has extra air conditioning!

The driver’s side is the worst

IMG_5762.jpeg

it’s also rotted away part of the bracing from the chassis rail 

IMG_5763.jpeg

Passenger side not so bad but still not good 

IMG_5764.jpeg

Hopefully still salvageable with a lot of work, I have seen preformed floor pan panels for the fto on an older mig welding forum which would save a lot of hassle but the guy was in Australia and I can’t find anything in the UK other than a complete floor pan! 

• RMweb Premium

My Discovery 2 is getting rather grotty on the chassis,  a footstep is rotten, and a rusty seam under bonnet where it got pressure washed a year or so ago.

Footstep will be welded, if it fails mot new chassis.

14 hours ago, big jim said:

Lifted the carpets for a look from the inside and have a poke around and the car now has extra air conditioning!

The driver’s side is the worst

IMG_5762.jpeg

it’s also rotted away part of the bracing from the chassis rail 

IMG_5763.jpeg

Passenger side not so bad but still not good 

IMG_5764.jpeg

Hopefully still salvageable with a lot of work, I have seen preformed floor pan panels for the fto on an older mig welding forum which would save a lot of hassle but the guy was in Australia and I can’t find anything in the UK other than a complete floor pan! 

Wow, hopefully  the bit that is sitting on the scissorlift is in better nick!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Wow, hopefully  the bit that is sitting on the scissorlift is in better nick!

Fortunately yes it is, I did check before I jacked it up!

9 hours ago, stewartingram said:

That scissor lift looks an impressive bit of kit, sadly as new price is too much for me

I got it for 1/2 the new price otherwise it would have been far to far out if my budget too, you can get a similar one for £415 new but again it’s quite an initial outlay 

https://automotechservices.co.uk/products/09013-adjustable-mobile-tilting-lift/

Edited by big jim
  • Thanks 1

Nearby Picton had their regular Coffee and Cars show this morning. A few modern classics amongst them.

First, for the JDM enthusiasts...

435890340_408252181953277_5082805880209034935_n.jpg.89b8fc45f9933a7bcf68219038fe53ae.jpg 

436222216_408251971953298_6652321024018035346_n.jpg.1262daa0307d8417ba87e0ab28af2ddc.jpg

425589946_408251165286712_708238766811406725_n.jpg.93f84e0a9ffeaf2eb8205ae97ac3449e.jpg

436152505_122116454186254106_3558343611862199807_n.jpg.dffd4f74e80817cd6f9c9c900b91c7be.jpg

And now, for any  Australian muscle car aficionados!

436236907_408251721953323_572102374773762730_n.jpg.05a93b446c53c6aa635ec2bd4f84c84f.jpg

436237026_122116454006254106_7890179528198217631_n.jpg.64ff2f9fd8df35bca859aa3371680d14.jpg

436316721_408251381953357_1669611050113782514_n.jpg.7f70c8b429f71b99524a817d9fad2086.jpg

436203152_122116454132254106_4264414280386615431_n.jpg.68b825b62c3c95c95752fae0c6525be9.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I know @russ p complains about new MGs being cheap Chinese rubbish so I’m sure he’ll appreciate this!

This my current hire car, a 72 plate MG MS suv, not a bad car, does the job 

B791DE23-73CF-4598-9E7E-415860DFAEF5.jpeg.dfc180a73ba0460f11e8f53a6afa2a80.jpeg

it has approx 25k miles on clock and this is the state of the carpets in it, granted there are no mats fitted but that’s shocking! 

IMG_6096.jpeg

my Skoda Superb has 230k miles on the clock (almost 10x the MG mileage) and the carpets are nowhere near like being in that condition! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, big jim said:

I know @russ p complains about new MGs being cheap Chinese rubbish so I’m sure he’ll appreciate this!

This my current hire car, a 72 plate MG MS suv, not a bad car, does the job 

B791DE23-73CF-4598-9E7E-415860DFAEF5.jpeg.dfc180a73ba0460f11e8f53a6afa2a80.jpeg

it has approx 25k miles on clock and this is the state of the carpets in it, granted there are no mats fitted but that’s shocking! 

IMG_6096.jpeg

my Skoda Superb has 230k miles on the clock (almost 10x the MG mileage) and the carpets are nowhere near like being in that condition! 

When partner bought her MG3 I asked the service manager what they were like and he said they aren't too bad but they aren't a rover. 

That carpet is shocking,  I cannot understand why hire companies don't fit even just a cheap set of mats. That carpet will knock quite a bit off resale value and to replace it would be quite expensive in labour alone

What gets me with these cars if they are using crap materials in carpets what else has crap materials in it