Strange Ebay issue

darrel

Very strange one. A month ago I bought a model on Ebay. It arrived quickly.

Last week I got an email from PayPal saying the money had been refunded as there was an issue with the sellers PayPal account. I messaged the seller immediately. A week later I have not had any reply from them. 

So as it stands in have a model that I have not paid for. And until they reply I cant pay them. 

Anyone had similar? 

Yes - about 18 months ago. Bought two Bachmann locos advertised as new from a private seller. Arrived within 3 days. All was well, so I left feedback for the seller. There had been no communication at all from the seller and after a while had passed, no feedback had been received. No big deal, so I forgot about it. About 4-5 weeks later, I received a refund notification from PayPal - both items. Like you, I tried to message the seller but noticed they were no longer a registered ebay user. There was no packing slip with the locos, so I had no way at all of making contact. Total mystery...

• Thanks 1

A few years ago I had similar, I sold an item, got paid and sent it. I got feedback back from the buyer and forgot about it. About two weeks later the item came back to me as undeliverable. I tried to contact seller but no replies back. This does raise a legal issue, when these things happen who's the legal owner?

3 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

A few years ago I had similar, I sold an item, got paid and sent it. I got feedback back from the buyer and forgot about it. About two weeks later the item came back to me as undeliverable. I tried to contact seller but no replies back. This does raise a legal issue, when these things happen who's the legal owner?

The owner is the buyer.

I would suggest a recorded letter to address the item was sent to if delivered, and if no reply , then I would store and then dispose off it in due course. I would not sell it on again. 

3 hours ago, micklner said:

The owner is the buyer.

I would suggest a recorded letter to address the item was sent to if delivered, and if no reply , then I would store and then dispose off it in due course. I would not sell it on again. 

Yes this was my take on it. In fact I never did sell it on to someone else, I kept it in the original box I sent it in just in case for many years but I guess it could be argued after 6 years it would default back to sellers ownership in law, that said I'm not a legal expert

On 05/06/2019 at 22:33, darrel said:

Very strange one. A month ago I bought a model on Ebay. It arrived quickly.

Last week I got an email from PayPal saying the money had been refunded as there was an issue with the sellers PayPal account. I messaged the seller immediately. A week later I have not had any reply from them. 

So as it stands in have a model that I have not paid for. And until they reply I cant pay them. 

Anyone had similar? 

At a guess I think the seller may have been trying to refund someone and got the sales mixed up. I did this on a partial refund for postage.