LNWR London Road - Locomotives and rolling stock

The job I have the biggest difficulty with is filling in the "fingers" on the corners of the flares.

I used a low melt solder, 75 I think, and Swiss files.

I used a low melt solder, 75 I think, and Swiss files.

I hadn't thought of using 70 deg low melt. 

When I designed the 2500g tender for LRM I put in an additional separate etch for the corner flares. This has a strip of  curved bead with inward facing "fingers" that close up as you form the corner and are easier to fill in. I'll have to see if I have any bits of test etches left.

• 1 month later...

Back from holiday and as the weather here is too poor to bother to get the MGB out, I've made a little progress with the Jubilee. Tender is now complete and the frames for the loco are partly finished. Photos to follow.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Ooops, forgot to post the photos of the tender. The tender is compensated with additional pickups on the rear axle. The loco will have pickups on the two coupled axles

post-1191-0-53109900-1505150215_thumb.jpg

Progress on the loco:

post-1191-0-08615300-1505150282_thumb.jpg

This shows the frames with the detachable cylinder/motion bracket assemble in place. The sprung bogie has also been assembled.

post-1191-0-80971300-1505150480_thumb.jpg

This shows the start of forming the running plate to fit onto the valances.

post-1191-0-61629600-1505150545_thumb.jpg

Things have been a bit slow, but the running plate is now finished and soldered onto the valances jig. The delay is down to building the test etch for a new London Road Models kit, a LNWR 30' 1" double veranda Inspection Saloon. Photos of that in due course in the Small Suppliers section. 

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 9

A bit more progress on the Jubilee. The running plate and cab fitted. In the background the frames now have the front coupled axle hornblocks installed while the wheels and axles have been "prepared". Next is to build the brake gear which I intend to make removeable.

post-1191-0-96231000-1505394882_thumb.jpg

I've also been spending time on building the test etch for a new London Road Models six wheel 30' 1" Inspection Saloon I've designed for John Redrup,  together with modifying the artwork and making a start on the instructions.

post-1191-0-64538800-1505395012_thumb.jpg

The end verandas are loosely fitted - designed for final installation after painting - which explains some obvious gaps.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Ooops, forgot to post the photos of the tender. The tender is compensated with additional pickups on the rear axle. The loco will have pickups on the two coupled axles

attachicon.gif2000g-tender-and-chassis.jpg

Progress on the loco:

attachicon.gifFrames-and-cylinders.jpg

This shows the frames with the detachable cylinder/motion bracket assemble in place. The sprung bogie has also been assembled.

attachicon.gifJubilee-bogie.jpg

This shows the start of forming the running plate to fit onto the valances.

attachicon.gifJubilee running plate rear.jpg

Things have been a bit slow, but the running plate is now finished and soldered onto the valances jig. The delay is down to building the test etch for a new London Road Models kit, a LNWR 30' 1" double veranda Inspection Saloon. Photos of that in due course in the Small Suppliers section. 

Nice work. 

How did you form the footplate? I have a LRM K2 and an Arthur Kimber "Tennant" to do and was considering using a pre-shaped wooden former, to ensure the curves are in exactly the right place. 

Edited by Daddyman

Nice work. 

How did you form the footplate? I have a LRM K2 and an Arthur Kimber "Tennant" to do and was considering using a pre-shaped wooden former, to ensure the curves are in exactly the right place.

The instructions include some info on where to start the first curve, starting from the back. I use a pair of pliers with one concave and one convex jaw (supplied by Phil at Hobby Holidays) to form the curves, a little bit ar a time. I used to form the curves around the shank of suitably sizes drills, butfind the pliers better. A pair of square flat jaw pliers are also useful for flattening out bits that need it.

N/s is stiffer then brass but I didn't need to anneal it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The instructions include some info on where to start the first curve, starting from the back. I use a pair of pliers with one concave and one convex jaw (supplied by Phil at Hobby Holidays) to form the curves, a little bit ar a time. I used to form the curves around the shank of suitably sizes drills, butfind the pliers better. A pair of square flat jaw pliers are also useful for flattening out bits that need it.

N/s is stiffer then brass but I didn't need to anneal it.

Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress with the LNWR Jubilee.

Boiler soldered with the formers in place and, firebox sides formed. Smokebox inner wrapper, front and outer wrapper fitted (in that order). The boiler is held in place by two 10BA screws under the smokebox and one through  the  cab front into the firebox back former. I've removed the central casting sprues from the brass cast chimney, dome and safety valve and have "machined" the undersides by polishing on a piece of 600 wet and dry wrapped around the boiler or smokebox to get a good fit. 

The valve chest cover has been fitted and the dummy inside valve gear added to running plate/cab assembly, followed by the front splasher sides and tops.

post-1191-0-46842500-1507235804_thumb.jpg

The brake gear is made up, the front axle and hornguide bearings assembled, connecting and coupling rods reamed to the the crankpin bushes, etc. so moving forward steadily. 

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

A bit more progress  on the LNWR Jubilee

The frames are now almost complete, just need to add the brake  gear to cylinder link. The motor is a Mashima 1424 which fits between P4 spaced frames if mounted like this. I used a High Level gearbox and adapted the mounting holes to get the motor "flats" vertical. I normally use LRM motor mounts and gears, but though I would try a HL one for a change.

post-1191-0-85229100-1509206885_thumb.jpg

The body is ready for painting. The boiler is not yet bolted to the cab/running plate so both can be sprayed and lined separately before final assembly. The dark "patches" are from metal blackening over spill; where I have been colouring the running plate edges, etc.  to hopefully avoid shiny metal if the paint gets rubbed or chipped. 

post-1191-0-00307100-1509207063_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 15

I saw a LNWR Jubilee on the EM gauge layout 'Hope-under-Dinmore' last weekend at Cardiff, looked very nice.
Unfortunatly they never ran on the Central Wales line(s).
I like 4-4-0's, but even the later 'Renown' never put in an appearance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Started on final detailing, so I am doing the NER G1 (LNER D23) at the same time. The NER livery is somewhat more complex and taking a bit more research than I am accustomed to at this stage.

So far, the two tenders and boilers are underway. Both models are painted in gloss cellulose. Lining is Fox on the G1 with Pressfix emlem and lettering, Modelmaster on the Jubilee. 

post-1191-0-01451300-1510074103_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks John.

I am now working on the loco bodies. The single red lining on the Jubilee front splasher and the black/white splasher inner surrounds on the G1 are creating a little difficulty. Transfers are proving either too difficult to fit around the front running plate step on the Jubilee and I haven't any straight and curved black/white NER for the G1. So I am practising with the bowpen!

Jol

• RMweb Premium

Transfers are proving either too difficult to fit around the front running plate step on the Jubilee and I haven't any straight and curved black/white NER for the G1. So I am practising with the bowpen!

Jol

I feel your pain. I'm working on an ex-NER Tennant at the moment and will have to line by hand. Fortunately, as with the G1, almost all the lining is parallel to an edge, so compasses can be used. 

• 2 months later...

While varnishing the parts for the LNWR Jubilee and NER G1, I also decided to spray the main body colours on a LNWR 42ft corridor coach. This photos shows the box of bits for the two locos before finally finishing the lining on the NER G1 and varnishing the bodies, boilers and tenders .

post-1191-0-19644400-1516629870_thumb.jpg

The 42 ft composite coach is from a collection of bits The body is made from Trevor Charlton etched zinc sides and ends and will have a LRM underframe with Brassmasters equalised 8ft bogies. This coach is to run with two other 42 ft ones (from Brian Badger, now Stevenson Carriages kits) and the 12 wheel diner from a modified Modellers World kit. I am also waiting for a Worsley Works set of etches for a 42 ft Brake Third to complete the rake.

post-1191-0-98187000-1516630526_thumb.jpg

Edited for spilling mustakes.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

The 42 ft composite coach is from a collection of bits The body is made from Trevor Charlton etched zinc sides and ends and will have a LRM underframe with Brassmasters equalised 8ft bogies. This coach is to run with two other 42 ft ones (from Brian Badger, now Stevenson Carriages kits) and the 12 wheel diner from a modified Modellers World kit. I am also waiting for a Worsley Works set of etches for a 42 ft Brake Third to complete the rake.

These 42' carriages are all WCJS diagrams for the original Corridor, if I'm not mistaken? I'm looking forward for your model of the dining triplet!!! Something worthwhile for London Road's Teutonic (is she Jeanie Deans?) to pul.

While varnishing the parts for the LNWR Jubilee and NER G1, I also decided to spray the main body colours on a LNWR 42ft corridor coach. This photos shows the box of bits for the two locos before finally finishing the lining on the NER G1 and varnishing the bodies, boilers and tenders .

attachicon.gifBox of bits.jpg

attachicon.gif42 ft Comp 2.jpg

Edited for spilling mustakes.

Hi Jol

What mods did you have to do to the diner please?

Peter

Edited by Brassey

These 42' carriages are all WCJS diagrams for the original Corridor, if I'm not mistaken? I'm looking forward for your model of the dining triplet!!! Something worthwhile for London Road's Teutonic (is she Jeanie Deans?) to pul.

Yes, the 42 ft coaches are all WCJS Diagrams. I only have room in the fiddle yard for a rake with four 42 ft and one twelve wheel diner. If I wanted another I would have to rely on a kit coming up on ebay.

The LNWR loco in the box is a 4 cylinder Webb compound of the Jubilee class. I have a LRM Teutonic kit in the pile, which will be "Adriatic", the last one still in service at the period the layout is set.

• RMweb Premium

I have a LRM Teutonic kit in the pile, which will be "Adriatic", the last one still in service at the period the layout is set.

So with the shortened front frames which I'm afraid I do thing detracts from the looks of these engines. But I thought I'd seen a 2-2-2-0 compound on London Road - is that one not a Teutonic?

Hi Jol

What mods did you have to do to the diner please?

Peter

Peter,

The diner is a D10, built from a Modellers World D9 kit. I used a Bill Bedford narrow vestibule etch which reduced the width to a scale 8 ft 6 in.which is correct for the wooden roof moulding supplied in the kit. I also had to file off some of the side eadings, as the D10 had fewer. The underframe was the same for both, so that was okay. I used Masokits inside bearing etched bogies with the castings from the kit.

Jol

Jol,

That looks a very nice collection of models but I don't envy you the painting and lining which, again, looks very good.

Sorry to back track, but what suspension arrangements have you got on the Jubilee? You mention a sprung bogie and the chassis appears to have a fixed, driven, rear axle. So how is the front driving axle arranged?

Dave.

So with the shortened front frames which I'm afraid I do thing detracts from the looks of these engines. But I thought I'd seen a 2-2-2-0 compound on London Road - is that one not a Teutonic?

Stephen,

I designed the Teutonic kit for LRM with both long and short front end options on the running plate. I happen to prefer the short front end, so that's okay for the version I will build.

Any 2-2-2-0s that have so far appeared on London Road belong to John Redrup. I think he has two M&L Dreadnoughts and more recently a Teutonic that Roger Stapleton (LNWR Steam Shed layout builder) built for him.

London Road is stocked at shows with all my stock, plus a selection of John's. That's because we don't get his stock boxes until he turns up early on Saturday morning to set up the LRM stand.

Jol

Jol

Jol,

That looks a very nice collection of models but I don't envy you the painting and lining which, again, looks very good.

Sorry to back track, but what suspension arrangements have you got on the Jubilee? You mention a sprung bogie and the chassis appears to have a fixed, driven, rear axle. So how is the front driving axle arranged?

Dave.

Hi Dave,

the front coupled axle is on a single pivot (a short fixed beam). The bogie has springing for each axle and the bogie height is fixed by spacers (in the kit) between the bogie mounting spacer on the frames and the top face of the bogie. I set it up so that there is a small pre-load on the bogie springs. Brief testing has been satisfactory but it'll get a good run soon. The spacers can be changed, as can the spring wire and the location of the springs in one of three hole spacing's to further adjust the mount of pre-load.

The NER G1 4-4-0 is done the same way and I used the LNWR bogie design on the Precursor Tank and Renown kits I designed for John at LRM. I have had feedback on several models built from kits using the sprung bogie which have worked well (I mention that to counteract the general belief that kits are bought but never built!).

Jol