LNWR London Road - Locomotives and rolling stock

A little more progress, I've also been busy with some more etch design artwork for LRM as well as playing with the MGB. 

The  bogie is complete and wheels/axles installed. The driving wheels have been fitted to the axles with the hornblock bearings and motor mount installed. One concern is that the axles are a bit short (they were supplied with one wheel fitted, leaving the other for installation after the bearings had been put onto the axles. Where the pre-installed axle passes through to be flush with the outer face of the hub, it leaves the other end a bit short.

The motor mount is from High Level (one I bought some years ago and on which the Mashima 1424 motor can be held by screws at 9, 12 nd 3 o'clock so can be fitted when the mount is in situ. The mount will sit below the axle line and the motor angled up into the firebox.

post-1191-0-21787800-1531406180_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...

I have managed a bit more work on the Renown, thanks to the poor weather. The frames have been painted, motor/gearbox installed and given a couple of hours rolling road test to check  for free running. I had to open out the coupling rod holes a bit to overcome a small "limp", which is why there brass nuts still on the crank pins.Next up will be the pickups and fitting the brake gear.

I made a start on the "body", curving the running plate to fit over the valances on the fold up jig. Annealing the running plate at the "humps" over the axles is a great help, together with the pliers with concave and convex jaws for creating the curves. The boiler was straightforward, so after a few more additions, I can bolt the boiler/cab/running plate together and cut away the jig.

post-1191-0-72272500-1533916929_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more progress on the Renown "body".

post-1191-0-53973800-1535541442_thumb.jpg

I'll bolt on the boiler and cut away the jig next. The chassis has been run in for a couple of hours on a rolling road with wires connected to the motor, so I can know add the brake gear and pickups. I will have to modify the original brake pull rods as the HL gearbox projects down below the ashpan.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress, I've also been busy with some more etch design artwork for LRM as well as playing with the MGB. 

The  bogie is complete and wheels/axles installed. The driving wheels have been fitted to the axles with the hornblock bearings and motor mount installed. One concern is that the axles are a bit short (they were supplied with one wheel fitted, leaving the other for installation after the bearings had been put onto the axles. Where the pre-installed axle passes through to be flush with the outer face of the hub, it leaves the other end a bit short.

The motor mount is from High Level (one I bought some years ago and on which the Mashima 1424 motor can be held by screws at 9, 12 nd 3 o'clock so can be fitted when the mount is in situ. The mount will sit below the axle line and the motor angled up into the firebox.

attachicon.gifRenown frames assembled.jpg

Hi Jol

Is that a one piece High Level gearbox in the Renown or does it have a hinged second stage?

I have one to build and got hold of a 1424 at ExpoEm earmarked for it

Cheers

Hi,

yes it is a HL hinged two stage that I bought ages ago to see what all the fuss was about. It hasn't got the grub screw in the final gear and I think it may be a version that Chris doesn't do now. I soldered it rigid when I had got it aligned

I normally use LRM motor mounts and gears. On the Precursor I used a LRM extended drive two stage unit to get the motor far enough forward to slope up into the firebox. I've got a couple other HL units to try and will probably put one in the Teutonic. Otherwise I tend to use single stage gear on the rear axle with the motor underslung and facing up into the firebox. That usually suits most of the small LNWR locos.

• Like 1

Hi,

yes it is a HL hinged two stage that I bought ages ago to see what all the fuss was about. It hasn't got the grub screw in the final gear and I think it may be a version that Chris doesn't do now. I soldered it rigid when I had got it aligned

I normally use LRM motor mounts and gears. On the Precursor I used a LRM extended drive two stage unit to get the motor far enough forward to slope up into the firebox. I've got a couple other HL units to try and will probably put one in the Teutonic. Otherwise I tend to use single stage gear on the rear axle with the motor underslung and facing up into the firebox. That usually suits most of the small LNWR locos.

That sounds like the RoadRunner Compact + which was one that I bought on Saturday.  This now has the grub screw but I still have some without.  Used the same combination in a Coal Tank which is now DCC too and runs good

That sounds like the RoadRunner Compact + which was one that I bought on Saturday.  This now has the grub screw but I still have some without.  Used the same combination in a Coal Tank which is now DCC too and runs good

Peter,

you may be right that it is the HL Roadrunner Compact + which I used in the Renown.

I got it wrong about the BM Precursor,  I used a LRM 50:1 single stage in that.  The NER G1 got the LRM 2 stage drive, to get the motor further forward as the G1 has a longer cab.

The HL drives are good, but I still like the simplicity of a straightforward and compact single stage system. over the years I've used Sharman brass gearboxes (no longer available) and LRM etched motormounts with steel worm/brass gears  as well as a couple of HL and haven't noticed any discernible difference in performance. 

Jol

I have now cut away the running plate jig and fitted the ejector pipes along the boiler, brake valve and pipe, etc. I've removed the casting spigots from the chimney, dome and safety valve castings and fitted these to the boiler and smokebox profiles by wrapping emery cloth inside out around the boiler and "filing" the underside of the fittings to get a good fit, but they aren't shown in the photo. Although fitted in place the boiler isn't yet bolted up. 

post-1191-0-49911400-1536782522_thumb.jpg

Normally I start with the tender but with the Renown I built the loco chassis first to tryout the 3D printed centre P4 wheels and then started on the upper works. So I've decided to make a start on the tender now, especially as I want to think about whether or not I'll set it up to add weight on the loco draw-bar. 

I've assembled the tender inside bearing chassis, after cutting out the front and middle hornblock slots. After assembling the side frames with the EM/P4 spacers, I added LRM horn guides to take 2mm bearings. 

post-1191-0-68240900-1536782580_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Jol, does London Road have any 42ft carriages running on radial underframes, rather than bogies? I've been fascinated by the photos of passenger trains on the LNWR Soc's Facebook page; these have sent me back to Millard & Tattersall's book and the observation that conversion to bogies was quite slow, with radials being seen right up to the early 1910s.

Jol, does London Road have any 42ft carriages running on radial underframes, rather than bogies? I've been fascinated by the photos of passenger trains on the LNWR Soc's Facebook page; these have sent me back to Millard & Tattersall's book and the observation that conversion to bogies was quite slow, with radials being seen right up to the early 1910s.

Stephen,

all the LRM LNWR 42' carriage kits are on bogie underframes. Some diagrams were originally on radial underframes, later converted to run on 8' bogies.

The earlier Microrail kits were radial underframe. I think that these went to Alan Gibson, but latterly they appeared under the David Geen banner. I can't see any reference to them on the 2016 AGW catalogue. DG has retired and his website has disappeared. They sometime pop up on that auction site.

I converted my Microrail radial one to a LRM bogie underframe (John Redrup had to old U/F as he is more interested than me in the earlier stuff). They weren't known for good running although I did a trial etched U/F radial "bogie" for John top try out to see if it would improve things. So far, no feedback!

Jol

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

Meanwhile, after several weeks of modelling inactivity (a trip to Vancouver, etc.) a bit more progress on the Renown.

The tender underframe know has the front axles spring mounts, brake crossbeam support and water pickups scoop. The brake gear will be a removable assembly.

post-1191-0-86486600-1540138970_thumb.jpg

The tender body is nearly complete, needing a few handrails and operating wheels/handles adding. I'll glue on the cast tool boxes after painting.

post-1191-0-01795800-1540139249_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Jol, are the front steps in white metal?
I found putting some etches together for similar tender footsteps a bind (poor eyesight).

The tender's looking good.

I saw some - unrelated to LNWR - kits over the weekend at Cardiff Show,

where every single aspect of a kit was etched, as if no other material existed.

-  I didn't buy one of the kits.

Edited by Penlan

...... I have been given a prototype set of P4 wheels for the Renown as a try out, so felt I should get on with it.

The wheels have 3D printed centres and are self quartering. I can't divulge more at present ..... 

Any news, perhaps in time for Christmas?

Would they be just P4 or EM too....

post-6979-0-59316500-1540219590.gif

Edited by Penlan

Jol, are the front steps in white metal?

I found putting some etches together for similar tender footsteps a bind (poor eyesight).

The tender's looking good.

I saw some - unrelated to LNWR - kits over the weekend at Cardiff Show,

where every single aspect of a kit was etched, as if no other material existed.

-  I didn't buy one of the kits.

Hi Sandy,

the tender front footsteps are etched in two parts and quite easy to assemble.

It is sometimes too easy to etch a part rather than make a casting pattern. I think that happened  a lot in the early days of etched kits. The same problem affects 3D print design, where some parts would be better etched.

Any news, perhaps in time for Christmas?

Would they be just P4 or EM too....

attachicon.gifSanta #2.gif

The wheels came from a "new" supplier who is testing the design concept. I've provided feedback but there doesn't seem to be much further progress at present. The batch of tyres and axles bought in to try things out are  P4 only as far as I know.

Each time I see the owners of Sharman Wheels I ask about supply, in particular a joint order I have with John Redrup, but there doesn't seem to be much interest unless they get a fairly large order for one size/profile. 

Jol

• 2 weeks later...

The Renown "body" is now finished. All the components for final assembly are now made, so it's all ready for painting. As I prefer to paint a several models together all the Renown bits are back in the box until the time is right.

post-1191-0-55833900-1541099375_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I had considered building the 4' 6"  2-4-2T Mansion House tank loco next, but have decided to have a go at a Stevensons Carriages D430  "Boff Van". These were 45'clerestory roof luggage vans converted to carry bicycles for the various manufacturers such as Humber. They were named after Guard Boff who suggested a way of transporting a large number of bicycles by modifying the van design.I am also designing a clerestory roof kit for LRM at present and wanted to get my head around the planned roof design.

The kit is one of only two introduced by Barry Stevenson when he owned and marketed the range of kits sold under his name (the other is the very similar D415). The others seem to have come from the Brian Badger range (and probably had their roots somewhere in the Midlands 4mm Mafia of the 60's). The kit is typical of the design concept. i.e. etched sides, cast w/m ends, paxolin strip floor, etched and cast details. Unfortunately BS (or whoever designed the etched sides for him) didn't take the opportunity to provide etched ends. Nor does the kit include the corridor gangways, which were sold as an "extra". I added the 51L sprung buffers. The instructions are very poor, of which more anon. The BS kits are now in the hands of Paul Barker and he may have done something about the instructions but can't be held responsible for the "defects" in the kit..

post-1191-0-20142900-1541100160_thumb.jpg

I have had this kit in stock for some time, being deterred from starting on it partly because the cast resin roof is 4mm too long and will need shortening and reshaping. The etched clerestory sides also don't fit at the ends, I shall need to understand why and what to modify.

post-1191-0-92212600-1541100386_thumb.jpg

The end castings are rather poor, so will also need some work before they are useable. The sides have to be soldered into the rebate as the first stage in building up the bodyshell.

post-1191-0-09410100-1541100441_thumb.jpg

More to follow when I have made some progress. This isn't the first kit of this type I have built so I am confident I can overcome the obstacles.

• Like 2

Jol, not sure how I acquired them many years ago, but for a BS Coach or two I used the etched ends from PC Models for somebody who wanted their coaches assembling.
Like a number of modellers, I've been around a long time and the 'spares' box has had many bits and pieces that have come & gone over the years - I use to pick up 'remainder etches',

part of the fun of the early years of the EMGS West Midlands Area Group..

Re. the clerestory, the only one I've had from a supplier is wood,

that was with the 'Modellers World' D9 (Ex. WCJS) Compo Diner, and that was too narrow :O 
I made my own roof up from layers of Plastikard for my D381A Parcel Van (Red Rose Models).

I look forward to seeing your Boff Van coming along. 

PS - Like the 'Renown'  :sungum:

Edited by Penlan

Jol, not sure how I acquired them many years ago, but for a BS Coach or two I used the etched ends from PC Models for somebody who wanted their coaches assembling.

Like a number of modellers, I've been around a long time and the 'spares' box has had many bits and pieces that have come & gone over the years - I use to pick up 'remainder etches',

part of the fun of the early years of the EMGS West Midlands Area Group..

Re. the clerestory, the only one I've had from a supplier is wood,

that was with the 'Modellers World' D9 (Ex. WCJS) Compo Diner, and that was too narrow :O 

I made my own roof up from layers of Plastikard for my D381A Parcel Van (Red Rose Models).

I look forward to seeing your Boff Van coming along. 

PS - Like the 'Renown'  :sungum:

Sandy, I've started looking through my bits and pieces but nothing so far. I think I will have to sort out an etched end as fitting the cast resin roof into/onto the thick cast w/m ends will be difficult. What the designer intended isn't apparent and the instructions omit it entirely.

It is providing some food for thought on the kit I am designing.

Jol

Took another look at this today and decided this won't be easy with the bits supplied, so came up with three options.

1. Put it back into the box and sell it on Ebay.
  2. Hack the cast w/m ends about to give sufficient clearance a the top so that the roof (when fettled) will sit on tops of the ends  with the correct thickness to represent the roof end as in photos of the carriage.
  3. Put back in the box for now and design some etched ends to give the same result as 2 but with better appearance than the castings.The castings are 1.0mm too wide for this 8ft carriage anyway.

I have decided to go for 3 as I am designing the 45' Family saloon and can use/adapt the end design from that for the Boff Van. I'll put the parts onto the test tool for the Family Saloon, with sufficient for this and John Redrup's two kits.

So the bits went back into the box for the moment and I got out a LRM LNWR D425 Parcel Van instead. I know this should go together without any issues.

post-1191-0-48234900-1541180104_thumb.jpg

• Like 3