LNWR London Road - Locomotives and rolling stock

Hi Jol.

Thanks for that. A colleague of mine on P&O group models Midland in fine-scale OO, so has lots of 4-4-0's and 0-4-4's which he fits with compensation. His arrangement is to have a solidly mounted bogie (in the vertical, that is) and twin beams for the coupled axles - giving the classic three point suspension. The bogie is compensated within itself. A rather neat arrangement in my view. On the 4-4-0's, he also has the tender resting on a bar at the rear to increase adhesive weight.

Dave.

Hi Jol.

Thanks for that. A colleague of mine on P&O group models Midland in fine-scale OO, so has lots of 4-4-0's and 0-4-4's which he fits with compensation. His arrangement is to have a solidly mounted bogie (in the vertical, that is) and twin beams for the coupled axles - giving the classic three point suspension. The bogie is compensated within itself. A rather neat arrangement in my view. On the 4-4-0's, he also has the tender resting on a bar at the rear to increase adhesive weight.

Dave.

Dave,

your description of the 0-4-4 is very much the industry standard. The LRM  MR and NER (ex George Norton) and LMS 0-4-4T's have that system.

4-4-0's are a little easier (especially for etched  kits). You can usually put enough ballast into the firebox to get the loco to balance well, usually leaving the bogie to just do its own thing. I added springing tho the bogies to provide a small amount of support, so it can also be fitted with a centralising spring if needed to keep the front end under control, although that doesn't usually apply on large radius curves and point. Hanging the tender on the drag beam adds more weight but also complication as the leading tender axles need to be sprung in guides or hornblocks. For my layout that isn't really an issue as we are restricted to train length and weight by the fiddle yard traversers.

Jol

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

the gangways are a hash up from Stevenson Carriages and LRM etches. I used to use the SC "flexible" type, but was never happy with the flexibility of the self adhesive foam strip they supplied. I tried other things including a phosphor bronze spring strip. I also have built one Masokits gangway unit but they rather fiddly to assemble (although probably the most accurate ones available)

I am looking at a design for a single scissors etch that replicates the LNWR gangway, is easy to assemble and has good flexibility, haven't yet come up with something that fits the criteria..

If you get to York come along and say hello.

Jol

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Some new wagons to bolster the stock for the York show. These are all "layout" models, built as supplied but adapted for P4.

Two POWsides/Slaters coal wagons for the empty coal train. They have AJ couplings at one end, three link at the other as "converter" wagons for the ends of the rake.  The colours aren't well captured, both being "chocolate" brown (Humbrol 98). I commissioned the Holly Bank wagons from  POWsides (I have another five kits in their boxes)  after Holly, one of our cats, when we lived in Northants,  We later moved to Holly Cottages in Suffolk.

post-1191-0-08506700-1521671857_thumb.jpg

Two LNWR D33 sliding roof door vans, Mousa Models cast resin kits with sprung axleboxes. These are braked on one side only, one has the earlier wooden brake block, the other (on the right) the later iron type.

post-1191-0-28583200-1521671963_thumb.jpg

Two David Geen w/m LNWR D84 wagons with tarpaulin sheeting.

post-1191-0-76856100-1521672071_thumb.jpg

Powsides/Slaters Salt wagon. Posed next to a LNWR D33 to show the relative small size of the sliding roof door van.

post-1191-0-23960200-1521672316_thumb.jpg

I don't have a photo of the other, a LNWR 10T van, through piped with the diagonal white stripe on the LH end of each side.

• Like 18

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Two David Geen w/m LNWR D84 wagons with tarpaulin sheeting.

... as running between May 1920 and Feb 1921, according to the issue and return for inspection dates on the Roger Smith sheets. For my c. 1903 wagons, I've been using sheets from The Model Wagon Sheet Company which, conveniently, omit the date markings. The layout of the lettering is a bit different but the most noticeable difference is that the red X has much wider lines - it looks to be based on Fig 51 in LNWR Liveries, which in turn is based on a Bassett-Lowke model! Are you aware of any other evidence in favour of either pattern at any date? Is the Roger Smith sheet is based on a photograph?

Hi Jol

Do you know if there are any wheels available for the lady of the lake kit yet .I have one and would like to make it

Regards

John

John

John Redrup has had an order in with Sharman Wheels for some months but when I last saw him at S4North, they hadn't arrived. I have an order in too, for some 7' LNWR wheels, no sign of those either.

I shall be following it up at ExpoEM.

Jol

• Like 1

... as running between May 1920 and Feb 1921, according to the issue and return for inspection dates on the Roger Smith sheets. For my c. 1903 wagons, I've been using sheets from The Model Wagon Sheet Company which, conveniently, omit the date markings. The layout of the lettering is a bit different but the most noticeable difference is that the red X has much wider lines - it looks to be based on Fig 51 in LNWR Liveries, which in turn is based on a Bassett-Lowke model! Are you aware of any other evidence in favour of either pattern at any date? Is the Roger Smith sheet is based on a photograph?

I'll either have to get new sheets or paint over the dates.

• RMweb Premium

I've answered my own question by looking back at my notes on my workbench thread. The wagon on the left of this photo has a LNWR sheet with clearly quite a wide stripe for the X - I'd estimate about 9". On the other hand, the lettering seems to be L.N.W. rather than LNWR. The photo is at Birmingham Central Goods Station in the 1890s.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've answered my own question by looking back at my notes on my workbench thread. The wagon on the left of this photo has a LNWR sheet with clearly quite a wide stripe for the X - I'd estimate about 9". On the other hand, the lettering seems to be L.N.W. rather than LNWR. The photo is at Birmingham Central Goods Station in the 1890s.

Great photo lots of detail I particularly like the yard lamps

John

Jol, is the Post Office Coach on the cover a 'Red Rose' or 'Trevor Charlton' etch zinc product, please.
Based on the 'thickness' or 'depth' of the waist moulding.

A good article by the way. 

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

Sandy, 

I don't know, it is one of John's models. I'll ask him but he is off for a weelks holiday today so the reply may be a little delayed.

Thanks for the comment on the article. I think the photos, taken by Barry Norman, came out well.

Jol

Both the TPO vehicles were from Philip Millard's Red Rose range of etched parts.

I thought they might be, Philip's the only LNWR modeller I know who had produced those sides, long, long ago.

Not surprising as he has a keen interest in the TPO stock.

I have some bogie Clerestory roof parcel Dia. 381A vans from that range.  I think Philip only did 12 4mm sets off each diagram.

Even earlier stock I have are the vacuum formed plasticard sides of Dia. 425, 5 door parcel vans by Mike Peascod.

The K's white metal stock went long ago  :jester:

• 3 weeks later...

I've just built a 51L NER D1 open fish truck, just need to complete painting, add buffers, couplings transfers and varnish. 

post-1191-0-80402800-1529352166_thumb.jpg

Also started on a LNWR Renown from the London Road Models kit (what else?). This is a bit out of sync with my To Do plan as I had intended to build a LNWR 4' 6" 2-4-2 Radial Tank first for a quick fix. However I have been given a prototype set of P4 wheels for the Renown as a try out, so felt I should get on with it. The wheels have 3D printed centres and are self quartering. I can't divulge more at present but will post some photos of the build as it progresses.

I had originally intended to use Sharman Wheels if I could get them. I've had an order in (together with John at LRM) for a couple of years. A conversation with Chris Stapleton at ExpoEM was not very positive. He is (grudgingly) willing to produce wheels but now only if you place an order for about £500's worth of each wheel size/type. That is because he doesn't consider it worth setting up the lathe to produce the tyres for a smaller volume. That means ordering at least 40 sets of wheel sets (two wheels plus axle) for a given type, which isn't practical. Fortunately I already have wheels for most of the kits I have or else can get them from Colin at AGW, except for the Renown.

London Road is back in store after the York show, after sorting out the various issue that cropped up. The only significant one was the failure (again) of the servo control system for four signals including those at the ends of P3 and P4, two of the most used. I think I have finally identified and fixed the problem, but won't know until we have another test session. No plans for that at present as we have no more invitations to shows.

• Like 7

I had originally intended to use Sharman Wheels if I could get them. I've had an order in (together with John at LRM) for a couple of years. A conversation with Chris Stapleton at ExpoEM was not very positive. He is (grudgingly) willing to produce wheels but now only if you place an order for about £500's worth of each wheel size/type. That is because he doesn't consider it worth setting up the lathe to produce the tyres for a smaller volume. That means ordering at least 40 sets of wheel sets (two wheels plus axle) for a given type, which isn't practical.

The price has gone up by 100% since I spoke to him at a show a year or so ago!

The price has gone up by 100% since I spoke to him at a show a year or so ago!

David, 

the last driving wheels John and I got were £10.00  per wheelset, "trade price",  £12.00 retail!  That was over two years ago.

Although I do wonder if the pricing is a bit variable.

Jol

David,

the last driving wheels John and I got were £10.00 per wheelset, "trade price", £12.00 retail! That was over two years ago.

Although I do wonder if the pricing is a bit variable.

Jol

I think he's getting pretty fed up of people like me asking about the re-introduction of the range. He seems to be a bit of a grump anyway. I really don't think that the Sharman range will be seen again, PP don't want to the retail the wheels but, judging by the gossip, don't want to sell the brand either.

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress on the Renown, the photos show the frames and bogie, the latter with its wheels and the axle bearing tubes with the wire springing retainers soldered in place. Guitar wire provide springs that run from one set of axles through locating holes in the bogie centre spacer to the other axle.

The front coupled axle will run in LRM hornblocks and guides, while the driven rear axle will run in some square outline bearings that fit into the opened out slots at the rear bearing holes. The share bearings sit against some strip soldered to the frames to stop them from rotating. Compensation is provided by the front axle  "pivoting" about the centre bearing carrier between the frames (how considerate of the LNWR to provide this as part of the prototype design) while the rear axle is "fixed", The reason for making the rear axle and drive system removable is so that I could assemble the motor, gears and wheels off the chassis to ensure the quartering is correct. The 3d printed wheel centres have keys that locate in keyways in the machined axles, but owing to this so far unproven aspect of this technology, I wanted to be able to ensure everything was set up correctly.

More to follow in due course.

post-1191-0-03460700-1530894259_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-17344000-1530894279_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-03460700-1530894259_thumb.jpg

post-1191-0-17344000-1530894279_thumb.jpg

• Like 5