Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

See you at the Bristol show Brian. Any chance of bringing the Heljan Deltic you had at Reading show please as your doing requests. :)

I don't have the Deltic anymore I'm affraid so won't be able to bring it :(

I have done a little bit more to 47091. I have made both sets of bogie sideframes now but still have the brake linkages and airpipes on the side of No 1 end bogie to do. Today I removed the cab door windows from the glazing and put them back in a bit flusher than they were as they do not sit very well at the top. Whilst I was at the glazing I added a strip of silver painted plasticard to the top of the open drivers window. I have also painted the silver bits on the front of the yellow end to replicate the picture earlier of 47091. Also painted a black outline to the headcode glazing that I think improves the look of it. The eagle eyed amoungst you may have noticed on the rad slats that 2 of them are silver. When I weathered the roof I did not notice that 2 of them were turned over. When I turned them back over they were still nice and silver but looks just like there had been 2 replacement louvres added so I thought they could stay silver.

post-6766-0-98281100-1294945126_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-84800200-1294945129_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-07595400-1294945134_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Ozzy the bogie detail set is £78.60 from MMP. If you go back to page 10 of this thread there are some pictures of when I did my other Heljan 47 that still has the original sideframes if that's any good. Or do you want the 2 together?

The two together if you can please Brian.

Thanks

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

Recently went from Oxford to a running session at Bourne End and managed 6 locos (3 Heljan's in that lot :blink: ), 2 small motorized P.Way vehicles, 4 Warflats and 40! 10ft wheelbase wagons. Could have took more as I still had a pannier empty! With 44 wagons behind a pair of JLTRT 20's I thought that was enough :rolleyes: . It did all look nice behind the Heljan 33 as well. Not surprisingly my bike did pull a wheely pulling away from a roundabout as I opened it up a bit too quickly, made the old ticker miss a beat :blink: . Some people say I need a trailer but I disagree.

Do GIVI know about this intriguing new system of pannier capacity measurement?

Much better than boring old litres!

Mark.

Most of the stuff Mark is in a big holdall over my shoulder on the back seat. It sounds daft but the fuller it is the better it sits there and does not get buffeted by the slight breeze that gets past the fairing at 90 :rolleyes:

These any good Ozzyo? The Heljan sideframe ain't that bad for a one piece moulding but the inner coil spring should have a flat on it at the top that's missing. I also did mill away a bit of the lifeguard and that improved the corners no end.

I have now just about finished the bogies and I made a fire pull as it was bugging me that 47309 did not have one and it does show a fair bit being red and white.

post-6766-0-71409800-1295024466_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-53576500-1295024469_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-67341000-1295024472_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-24305500-1295024475_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You are a brave man Brian, I wouldn't take all those beautiful models on a motor bike especially at this time of year. I hope you have some good insurance.

The class 33 does look good, I wonder if we shall ever see a JLTRT one ?

Richard.

Hi Richard, having spoke with JLTRT earlier this week, all 33 variants are due out in the couple of months.

Cheers

Thomasrolleyes.gif

Good to see the comparison between the two bogies. I am definitely going to have

MMP ones on my Heljan 47 now. Might see if I can get some replacement buffers aswell.

Do you know when the additional diagonal peice was added to the steps to stop the drivers slipping as mine will be circa 1965 and I need to no whether to omit it or not. I've looked for photos of my loco D1663 but can't get any close up of the bogie.

I don't know exactly when the diagonal step piece was added but there is a picture in a book of D1734 I think, new with them, dated 1965. I am sure you should have them on.

I have now got the buffers from JLTRT so have made these up and added a DJH lampiron to one each end. 47091 should have 2 one end and one the other but I only had 2 in my scrap box :( . I took the wheels out and painted the face of them Frame Dirt ready for weathering. Then I masked up the cast inner bogie as best I could before spraying the frames. I also found 2 DJH coupling guards so added these behing the coupling infront of the handbrake linkage on the bogie.

All that remains now is the weathering to really bring out the detail of the underframe, probably tomorrow :)

My 128 chassis is also getting painted now as it's also got it's buffers added at last.

post-6766-0-41911200-1295195090_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-65181900-1295195093_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-18664300-1295195096_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-05996000-1295195099_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Well I think that's about it now :) Can't think of anymore to do, but who knows. I have decided to add the white marks on the bogies for checking if there are any cracks. Also added some oil streaks and painted the brake blocks just to bring out a bit of detail.

Now I have a request. I don't know if you have noticed but Heljan put pantograph type windscreen wipers at one end and straight ones at the other. I don't suppose anyone with a green pre-TOPs 47 wants to do a swap as I really need the staight ones all round. So if anyone is going to Bristol and could do a swap with the wipers I would be very gratefull :good_mini:

post-6766-0-90720100-1295296136_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-91837700-1295296139_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-48760400-1295296143_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-48006200-1295296146_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-35098700-1295296150_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-70769400-1295296152_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cracking stuff with Thor Brian - very inspirational! The cab front windows seem flusher and I think look better than the blue version - obviously an optical illusion but I think backs up the suggestion made a few pages back that the inherent thickness (or depth) of the mouldings is part of the problem in that area. Are the JLTRT buffers generally available as spares or did you threaten to stop buying their kits?!

JLTRT do sell their buffers separatly now but you do have to know what you want. Best thing is to ring them on 01294 222988 They are nice buffers but they will need drilling out with a pillar drill and I cut them off the sprue with a reinforced cutting disc.

As for the windows I wonder if from Heljan they are not pushed in far enough. I said earlier that I did cut out the cab door windows and glue those in flush. It did cross my mind if it was worth doing the same for the front screens but thought better of it.

• RMweb Premium

Brian, I might have a spare parts sprue with the straight wipers on, I'll check tonight. Also with the windows I found on my 37 that they did indeed need a good shove straight out of the box to make them sit flush......the glazing is an extremely tight fit, probably those little Chinese fingers haven't got enough shove to get them in far enough! :D

It also helps if the "depth" of the body moulding around the glazing area is painted black, it doesn't them show the body colour through the edge of the glaze. I'd love to get to Bristol but unfortunately that weekend domestic management has arranged a trip away......I really NEED to get ot an 'O' show....I am still short of the right kind of brake blocks for my 108.

Hello Brian,

the bogie side frames do look better. At £80 a pop I suppose they should.

OzzyO.

£80 is a very reasonable price for what you get in the detail kit on it's own, but add this to the cost of the Heljan model and some JLTRT buffers then it does start to add up a bit.

Thanks for having a look for the windscreen wipers boxbrownie. Shame you can't get to a show :(

Top job Brian - the full-size W55991 was an old Thames Valley friend of mine for more than 15 years, and you've got it spot on. I once had it for haulage from Reading to Oxford when it was standing in for a Pressed Steel DMBS in a 3 car unit - it had a cracking exhaust rasp from the Albion engines, and those extra horses made the unit shift along very nicely. Happy memories, and a superb model!

David

I am affraid the kit has nothing for the exhausts so your on your own there. I used some brass tube with a split pin soldered top and bottom to secure it in the whitmetal front. I then superglued some fine mesh over them.

I did drive them both down here on parcel duties.

Such a shame none got preserved :(