Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

Brian, I like the heat shields you have fashioned from mesh...were they part of the kit or did you "bash" those bits?

You nearly needed a heatshield on your chin last night judging by the flame coming from the candle. The cake would have looked better weathered thought!!!!!

post-4697-0-13852700-1295620266_thumb.jpg

If you read this tonight I am just letting you know that I will have a surprise loco at Bristol on Sunday. I am sure you will like it :good_mini:

If you read this after Sunday you will have to wait a week for a picture as i am on holiday next week.

No modelling for a week :chok_mini:

• RMweb Premium

If you read this tonight I am just letting you know that I will have a surprise loco at Bristol on Sunday. I am sure you will like it :good_mini:

If you read this after Sunday you will have to wait a week for a picture as i am on holiday next week.

No modelling for a week :chok_mini:

I hope you put a piccy up tomorrow for us that couldn't get to Bristol..........I've been wondering when the 08 will be out :rolleyes: :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am suitably refreshed after a week in Switzerland so lets get back to a bit of modelling :)

Those who went to Bristol saw my latest project to convert a Heljan 33 to a 33/1. I have used some spare DJH southern highlevel air pipes and JLTRT MU castings. There is still some more pipework to make and the metal plates over the lail lights which hold the lower end of the airpipes. The corridor buffer is a corridor connection from MMP that I cut the top off and added some rod behind to fix it to the bufferbeam. The drophead buckeye is a metal Kadie that I cut a slot into the shaft with a cutting disc until it was a tight fit over the Heljan coupling so it stays horizontal on it's own without the need for a pin, like the real thing uses. The bufferbeam airpipes are from JLTRT and are the style that fit under the bufferbeam from their 24.

post-6766-0-39415400-1296481013_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-24976700-1296481016_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-85553500-1296481019_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-07913900-1296481024_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Brian,

Happy birthday for the other week. The pusher looks good so far, used to see them all the time down my way. They always looked more shagged out then the 33/0s, have you decided on a number yet?

Cheers Peter.

I still have not decided a number for this 33/1 yet, oh what to do :blink:

I have now added the pipes behind the airpipes and the plate and recepticle for the bottom of the airpipes to sit in. Still haven't touched the other end yet. Will have a go at doing a bit more to the tank recess next I think.

post-6766-0-00404100-1296584250_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-96380600-1296584253_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-77412600-1296584257_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

As usual exceptional work but knowing your attention to detail just one observation about the 33/1. Have you changed the buffers as the TC fitted ones were larger than the 33/0.

Edit - just remebered this http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3395&p=711578&hilit=lapford34102#p704879

Cheers

Stu

Thank's for the heads up on the buffers Stu. I was not going to replace the buffers as for once I do like the Heljan ones! I have a picture of a 33/1 buffered up to a 47 and the buffer heads match so assume they were the same size?

Brushveteran, please get it out of your head, it will not, never, ever have a D number :P TOP's numbers rule :yahoo_mini:

I have now painted the bufferbeam detail at both ends. I did the cutouts in the fuel tanks and added some pipework in one side. It will look a lot better when weathered. And a closer picture of the airpipes and the recepticle plate. It's going to be fun trying to match the yellow paint to the factory finish later. Forgot to say it's also numbered as 33105.

post-6766-0-70653900-1297106167_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-62075800-1297106171_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-79087800-1297106174_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-74149900-1297106178_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Brian,

I followed up your comment about etched window frames for the Heljan 47 with Pete Harvey and its worth further research to come up with a rough design.

My idea was just for a individual frame for each window requiring you to file down the existing frame flat and glue on the overlay with a better outline (more rounded corners and the lower edge drooping towards the outside rather than straight). I was thinking of incorporate a glazing cutting guide in the design as well. Perhaps some enterprising soul could then start mass producing mircoscope slide glazing!

I don't know if the Heljan shape is even close to accurate and so until I measure up, not sure whether to simply improve the existing shape or have them 100% accurate. The question is where does one get hold of accurate dimentions? Do I need to get a cleaning job at WCRC? Any ideas?

Cheers

Hi Brian,

You could try getting in touch with one of the owning groups of a preserved example. A certain Raffles of this parish might be able to help you on that score ;) .

It sounds like a good project anyway, there was talk a while back of JLTRT doing some replacement cabs for the HJ 47 but I think it fell by the way side (if it was ever a 'goer' in the first place).

A certain Raffles of this parish might be able to help you on that score ;) .

My goodness. Fame. :blink: :lol:

Certainly can. If you want access to '105 or '376 just let me know, especially if it meant that frames then appeared in 4mm as this is my only real niggle with the HJ47.

• RMweb Premium

Once again many thanks for the various 47 responses.

To be perfectly honest I don't like the shape of the MMP ones and I can't see how I'd bed in the combined two window piece without messing up the whole thing. An overlay of each individual frame ought to be much easier (although admittedly I can still see it going pear shaped).

The possibility of access to 105 is so exciting I nearly broke my no smileys policy... I'll definitely follow that one up!

• RMweb Premium

I have been interested by all the comments I have read in different forums about the Heljan 47 cab profiles, and I bow to those who have drawings to compare and point out the anomalies.

I must admit I thought it looked pretty good especially after I bought the Heljan 7mm version, so much so I took the body shell into the studio and proceeded to line it up as best I could with a photograph sourced from the net (big credit to David Ford for publishing this one, it is a great angle and example for comparison), I am afraid I cannot do any trickery here with overlays you can compare on this forum layout, but in Photoshop I have "layered" the bodyshell picture over the Stratford view and quite frankly there is absolutely so little difference it begs the question....."whats the problem?"

For those with the ability to haul these off and layer them in whatever package you use for editing please do....it baffles me now whether the problem is a 1:1 scale eyeball problem? :D

post-6591-0-09219200-1297325445_thumb.jpgpost-6591-0-37894700-1297325467_thumb.jpg

David Ford's picture used with his kind permission

Now please do not think I am trying to stir it up, but I really cannot see the dimensional problems that seem to be talked about so much.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for continually hijacking this thread with 47 musings. I will start my own although most of my mods have been covered elsewhere by now.

Superb job with the photos there and yes, from some angles, it looks really good. And trust me I've spent hours looking at it!

I think the lack of glazing on your model is significant - as many others have suggested the glazing is part of the problem and a flush fit and disguising the thinkness helps.

This is not a case of nit picking for the sake of it though - I could live with the bogies for example. I just think the most important part of any model is the face and it just doesn't look right to me. As to whether the corners are too square (and they do look it from the photos), whether the modelled top edge looks dished inwards and whether the bottom edge should curve downwards are not a case of rivet counting - I'm just trying to put a finger on what to correct to get it to look softer and capture the real thing.

Besides which if I wasn't thinking about this I'd have to do some work...

MMP do an etch detail set that includes new window frames MMP I do not know if they are drawn specifically for the Heljan 47 or are from Davids MMP 47. Would be fun slicing off the old frames :(

They were drawn specifically for the Heljan - they are there in our set simply to correct the issue of the moulded frames standing too proud of the body & windscreen - and to also provide the screw head detail + to facilitate flush glazing. Thats all.

David Parkins,

Modern Motive Power

• RMweb Premium

Box brownie - that's a very handy comparison shot..... and I think flush glazing it, or at least getting it as flush as physically possible will make all the difference. Bending and refitting the horizontal handrail would help too ;) .

Nidge, The Heljan glazing is "mostly" flush as I have found it needs a good shove to get it to sit fully in, I think a lot leave the factory with the glazing not quite so flush, must be those little Chinese fingers not giving enough shove!

Also which doesn't help is the thickness of the glazing.....it must almost a scale foot thick, not so good for seeing through!

Yes the handrail varies slightly, it can be bent a little but quite honestly you'd need a mic to measure the difference.

I have noticed there is a slight "ledge" over the front windows below the drip rail where the wiper arm spindles exit, this is not present at all on the model. Whether that makes a difference or not I am not so sure. Other than that when the two pictures are layered there is very little difference, as you would expect the A pillars are slightly thicker but nothing drastic.

Anyhoo if I take my reading glasses off it looks bl00dy perfect! :lol:

Sorry for continually hijacking this thread with 47 musings. I will start my own although most of my mods have been covered elsewhere by now.

No problem with "hijacking", keep discussing away chaps.

Thanks for the info on your window etches Dave. If anyone else asks I will let them know they are specific to the Heljan model, thanks. By the way has anyone used all your Heljan 47 upgrade bits? Would like to see a picture of one with everything on it.

Regarding the 47 cab one area with a little discrepency is above the side windows as there is slightly too much bodywork between the top of the side windows and the rain strip. But it does not worry me after doing my 47091, I and quite a few others were surprised that it did not show all these horror stories that have been mentioned but that it looks like a 47!

I too can take my glasses off and everthing looks superb :D

• RMweb Premium

Brian, yes I think that the area over the side windows is the biggest error, but then I excuse it by saying it was taken at midday sun and the shadows are hard ;)

The 710 is out tonight at one of her do's, so I am getting out in the shed for a bit of sticking the old fingers together....hang on, that sounds a bit dodgy! :lol: