Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

I have made a start on the re-sized tanks.

Those look a lot better. It's a shame that JLTRT haven't taken the opportunity to supply new, etched, walkways with them though, as the resin ones are far too chunky IMO.

The walkways are etch Martin. I admit they could be a bit finer but they are ok. You could argue that the end ladders being lost wax are a bit chunky and etched sides and wire steps would look better but the idea behind JLTRT is to keep things simple so hopefully anyone can build them.

Hi Brian,

08 looks nice, Im glad you got some glue buster to remove your barrel from the chassis on the TTA .I have built my 12 TTA`s and they are about to enter the paint shop. Transfers are all sorted. The old barrels not sure may do some soda tanks, not sure what other use they may have, any thoughts. I think they may be to small again for acid tanks, anyway back to the bench

Garry

The walkways are etch Martin. I admit they could be a bit finer but they are ok. You could argue that the end ladders being lost wax are a bit chunky and etched sides and wire steps would look better but the idea behind JLTRT is to keep things simple so hopefully anyone can build them.

Oh, I must admit I thought the whole assembly was cast, but I have only gone from photos. I'll have a close look at Telford, perhaps it'll change my mind.

I understand the philosophy behind the JLTRT range, but feel that sometimes things could be slightly less simple, though still within the realms of anybody being able to build them, with a massive improvement in appearance.

I was never keen on Acrylic car sprays, always finding the cellulose sprays gave a far superior finish but the last few cans of Halford acrylic I have tried have been very good, but you do have to be careful not to build up the depth too much, seems the cellulose gives a "thinner" paint surface and retains the body details better.

Hi Boxbrownie,

Thanks for the encouraging words, perhaps the newer version are better?

Cellulose, yes they are better on the whole, yet getting rarer, although JLTRT and others supply such and a local company can supply such for specific colours....

ATB

CME :)

Oh, I must admit I thought the whole assembly was cast, but I have only gone from photos. I'll have a close look at Telford, perhaps it'll change my mind.

I understand the philosophy behind the JLTRT range, but feel that sometimes things could be slightly less simple, though still within the realms of anybody being able to build them, with a massive improvement in appearance.

Hi Pugsley,

I am with you there!

Hi Brian,

Were the original tanks NQLTRT then?:laugh:

CME :)

• RMweb Premium

I must admit I was suprised when I first saw the JLTRT 08 to see that the radiator fan compartment vent slots were filled in and not moulded to be open, even the Bachmann brass has this, and to my eyes one of the major features of these little workhorses.....a great shame, I suppose one could open them out with careful drilling and filing but with a JLTRT I was hoping for more.

• RMweb Premium

I must admit I was suprised when I first saw the JLTRT 08 to see that the radiator fan compartment vent slots were filled in and not moulded to be open, even the Bachmann brass has this, and to my eyes one of the major features of these little workhorses.....a great shame, I suppose one could open them out with careful drilling and filing but with a JLTRT I was hoping for more.

post-6591-0-66482800-1309504790_thumb.jpg

post-6591-0-58390200-1309504803_thumb.jpg

David,

I think [as your excellent photos show] that it is a fact that several of these details can only really be replicated as etchings. Your photos show that this does not just only apply to the rad. shutters but to the ladders also and other items. You can have too much 'dumbing down'!!!

I'm an old iron age man and am very simple - hence I do not understand why this simplification of everything results in higher as opposed to lower prices for some modern kits. It seems you pay more for less detail.

David Parkins,

Modern Motive Power

• RMweb Premium

David, yes we know how old you are ;) and I agree there are some items which etching or sheet metal is more suited to or the only satisfactory alternative, but it wouldn't be a great leap of rapid prototyping/3D modelling to make the front end with a recess and provide a section of etched brass/NS as a wrap around the radiator cowling, that seems so simple to me and the way I would have liked to have seen it in production. There is no reason why the two technologies cannot be married without it causing divorce proceedings surely?

As for the pricing.....its just market forces and what the consumer is willing to pay, after all some of us may not possess the skills or the time to invest hundreds of hours in building the ultimate in brass/NS kits, and if those that wish to pay for the kits to be built can afford the staggering hourly rates good luck to them, but the rest might want to enjoy the building of a kit and the satisfaction of the finished article knowing that it was our hands that did it albeit with a price premium that is containable to most balanced by a much shorter build time (but never as short as Brians!), but thats just the way I look at it.

BTW I have one of your detailing kits for my Bachmann 08, and I was amazed at the amount of material and effort you have very obviously put into the design and thought of it.....and if thats just a detailing kit I would not even contemplate a full kit....I know it just would not get finished, at least not to a level I would be proud of.....I think I'd end up looking at the build as a chore in the end and there is no fun it that for me :cry:

BTW I have one of your detailing kits for my Bachmann 08, and I was amazed at the amount of material and effort you have very obviously put into the design and thought of it.....and if thats just a detailing kit I would not even contemplate a full kit....

David -

Thank you for your observations.

So I guess that what you are saying, in a way. is that we offered you too much value for money in our Class 08 Detail Set!

Regards,

David Parkins

• Funny 1

David if you are refering to the long louvres on the front then these are an etch and are open at 45degrees. If you are refering to the side intakes then I am sure they will blend in nicely when a bit of weathering goes on it.

• RMweb Premium

David -

Thank you for your observations.

So I guess that what you are saying, in a way. is that we offered you too much value for money in our Class 08 Detail Set!

Regards,

David Parkins

Yes, but don't ask me for more money :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

David if you are refering to the long louvres on the front then these are an etch and are open at 45degrees. If you are refering to the side intakes then I am sure they will blend in nicely when a bit of weathering goes on it.

Brian, I am refering to the side vents (behind the ladders) which let the air out from the radiator, I know you could forget the fact they should be open but on the real thing (as you well know :yes: ) you can see right through to the fan.....I like that bit of detail.....now how about a rotating fan too? :D

After reading your question about 4 times I came to the conclusion you were on about the side holes :rolleyes: I still think these will look fine with a bit of weathered black in them, time will tell!

Now if Heljan were to do an 08 would that have a working fan like their mainline models?

Just for you Dave I have filled these side intakes with some Railmatch Weathered Black :) Does look better for it. A couple of pictures to show what the ends look like with all the lampirons and lights on now. Pushing my luck getting the lense in this close :blink:

post-6766-0-86821000-1309546650_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-34888900-1309546653_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-96286400-1309546668_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-30781600-1309546671_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

David,

I think [as your excellent photos show] that it is a fact that several of these details can only really be replicated as etchings. Your photos show that this does not just only apply to the rad. shutters but to the ladders also and other items. You can have too much 'dumbing down'!!!

I'm an old iron age man and am very simple - hence I do not understand why this simplification of everything results in higher as opposed to lower prices for some modern kits. It seems you pay more for less detail.

David Parkins,

Modern Motive Power

Hi David

+1 :yes:

It's a shame that 'appropriatness' hasnt been applied as with the wagon kits such seems back to front at times (i.e. Lost Wax Brass used when Whitemetal would do, yet WM used when LWB was NEEDED!:blink:).

CME

Just for you Dave I have filled these side intakes with some Railmatch Weathered Black :) Does look better for it. A couple of pictures to show what the ends look like with all the lampirons and lights on now. Pushing my luck getting the lense in this close :blink:

HI Brian,

How I envy you the 08 looks really superb in the deopt surroundings!:drinks::yes:

CME