Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

I see you spend a lot of your time building kits and detailing RTR. There seems to be many comments criticizing the kits than there are the RTR. I would be very interested to know which out of the two are the correct scale or doesn"t this cause any concern!! Quanity not quality springs to mind!!! The price issue, thats a good one. You get what you pay for and if i am correct the kits are produced in this country, so keeping people in this county in employment. The pictures seem to show a wide range of models which look good, but it seems that the weathering looks the same. Thats a pity....

Hi Tango 13,

I have a theory that with 7mm/O gauge that you dont always 'get what you pay for'.......sometimes I feel that some of the manufacturers just wet their respective fingers and stick em in the air so as to ascertain a price :rolleyes:

CME

The weathering looks consistently superb :rolleyes:

+1 B)

Hi Brian/All,

I like your comments Brian re your 'signature', because when I look at your work that is exactly how I see your models, very subtle workaday weathering - superb B)

TTFN

CME :)

Hi chaps

Thanks for the comments everyone it's nice to know you care :drinks:

This pricing lark the way I see it is that there are two prices for everything, the manufacturing cost plus your reasonable profit and the price you can get away with! We would all want to make as much money as we can in life. I do not have a clue as to how much it actually costs to make a 7mm kit. Don't forget as well that some of these manufacturers are one man bands from home and some have staff and premises to pay for so costs are bound to be different.

As to what is next on the workbench Pete? Well I am slowly doing a rake of blue/grey MkI's from JLTRT, I have a BSK and RMB finished and a CK and SO part built. I did not think it worth putting pictures of every coach I will build on here as they are a bit the same when it comes to building them. I still have my 121 driving trailer to finish as it has not got any further than it was earlier on this thread. Nothing in the pipeline apart from a JLTRT class 33 that Pete might get me one for Telford :yahoo: I don't know when the Heljan Deltic's will be in the shops but I am pretty sure I will have one :rolleyes: (well it would be rude not to).

• RMweb Premium

I don't know when the Heljan Deltic's will be in the shops but I am pretty sure I will have one :rolleyes: (well it would be rude not to).

Still waiting here too......been saving my pennies for a 55 and the forth coming 31, I think the 55 will be an early crimble present for myself and the 31 (the way Heljan product plans) the same for 2012 :laugh:

The 08 does look the business now it's got a few extra bits on it. One thing I just remembered that I have not done is a bit of silver on the step treads. I still have to sort out the fuel guage on the side and the dials in the cab. I took some pictures of the real ones but am having a bit of hassle re-sizing them at the moment from what is basically an A3 picture down to a 2mm diameter dial! Maybe I should take them again and stand back a bit with the camera.

That 08 looks fantastic. Looks dirty and used but not ready for the scrapheap. I really like the "ground level" 3/4 view where the train is coming in from the left of the frame. Great job!

Hi Brian,

I agree about the pricing, the marketeers and economists call the latter;- 'charging what the market will bear' (or in other words how much can I get away with/divide and rule :rolleyes:;)).

Not sure if I have voiced such here before, yet wouldnt it be great - for them and us - if Heljan did some RATS (Cl24/25s) in 7mm as that would benefit a lot of modellers :yahoo:B)

I love Deltics, yet cant justify one - havent got the layout for it yet either - looking forward to seeing one those.

ATVB

I think it depends on your point of view. I grew up alongside the old GER mainline and can't understand why a Class 31 (Brush Type 2 as I remember them) is not already available in 7mm - they were ubiquitous (heck, that's twice I've used that word this am).

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I think it depends on your point of view. I grew up alongside the old GER mainline and can't understand why a Class 31 (Brush Type 2 as I remember them) is not already available in 7mm - they were ubiquitous (heck, that's twice I've used that word this am).

Best, Pete.

Or....as common as muck.....and usually covered in it too! I too am waiting patiently for the 31 to be released from Heljan, who ever heard of this place called scootland anyway? :D

beautiful detail on the 31, did you put that on?

The 31's are from DJH and all you see is included in the kits. Pretty well everthing is included for all the versions you can make, they are very comprehensive kits. But they do take a while to build (even for me :rolleyes: )

Who's going to be the first one to remove the stripe off a Heljan 31 and re-furb it?

Heljan 25? Have a word in their ear at Telford and let them know what you would like, sensible suggestions though that a firm would make some money on. 25 is a good one to start with.

Still no dates for the Deltic I think :(

I am waiting for the Deltic and class 31. I also think a class 40 is a must - they had a massive following and became pretty much THE engines after the Deltics were withdrawn. I remember chasing them for photographs on the Settle & Carlisle - happy days.

Hi Brian -

I've just caught up with the 08 pictures - excellent, inspiring work as ever. I'm still plucking up courage to weather my MMP Green 08. Never had a problem with the mainline stuff, but shunters seem to weather slightly differently and of course in the steam era there is the effect of coal smoke...

Cheers

Tony

I am waiting for the Deltic and class 31. I also think a class 40 is a must - they had a massive following and became pretty much THE engines after the Deltics were withdrawn. I remember chasing them for photographs on the Settle & Carlisle - happy days.

Deltic 17

For a lot of us 40's were the engines long before the Deltics departed, in fact Deltis were viewed as a nuisance as they always turning up on overnight east coast expresses when you didn't want them. Its only when they are long gone that you realise how good they were and how much you miss them, 40s, Deltics and all the others

Richard

Deltic 17

For a lot of us 40's were the engines long before the Deltics departed, in fact Deltis were viewed as a nuisance as they always turning up on overnight east coast expresses when you didn't want them. Its only when they are long gone that you realise how good they were and how much you miss them, 40s, Deltics and all the others

Richard

The 31's are from DJH and all you see is included in the kits. Pretty well everthing is included for all the versions you can make, they are very comprehensive kits. But they do take a while to build (even for me :rolleyes: )

Who's going to be the first one to remove the stripe off a Heljan 31 and re-furb it?

Heljan 25? Have a word in their ear at Telford and let them know what you would like, sensible suggestions though that a firm would make some money on. 25 is a good one to start with.

Still no dates for the Deltic I think :(

Hi Brian :)

I cant make it to Telford.:cry:

So the 'word in their shell like' will have to be down to/come from you guys :drinks:

It should be a winner for them though as the 24/25's were so widespread and more than one may be required by most modellers :yahoo:

With the 31's I hope that they will do a decent blue 'un - and as we were discussing at Brizzle - they need to get the shape right too....time wil tell....I would like one for the Swindon area in blue.

What is it that SR and WR men used to say about 31's? 'They couldnt pull the skin off of a rice puddin' :laugh::laugh:

ATB

• RMweb Premium

What is it that SR and WR men used to say about 31's? 'They couldnt pull the skin off of a rice puddin' :laugh::laugh:

ATB

No.....but they could pull trains all over the other regions :laugh: