Brian's 7mm Diesel Workbench, Belated up-date!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian,

Nice work....it really adds some finesse to these Heljan models.

It's still a shame - IMHO - that they aint quite up to 4mm RTR standards, thank goodness then for Peter, David and Brian for their detail upgrades and addons :yes::drinks:

One trader has told me that the Heljan's are indeed 'built to a price'.

Keep up the inspiring work : :yahoo: B)

ATB

CME :)

And long may they keep doing so, although it might be nice for the 7mm models to have the detail and finese of the smaller brethren I think that may just tip the price "over the top", the amount of detail and features they could reproduce would be staggering if they tried, but then so would the price I reckon. Besides I think it is a nice balance of ready to run quality with a bit of custom fine tuning if the modeller so wishes and you get the pleasure of both, the immediacy of RTR and the fun of buidling.

Not as daunting as a kit not as boring as RTR......there you go Heljan, for a fee you can use that slogan :laugh:

And long may they keep doing so, although it might be nice for the 7mm models to have the detail and finese of the smaller brethren I think that may just tip the price "over the top", the amount of detail and features they could reproduce would be staggering if they tried, but then so would the price I reckon. Besides I think it is a nice balance of ready to run quality with a bit of custom fine tuning if the modeller so wishes and you get the pleasure of both, the immediacy of RTR and the fun of buidling.

Not as daunting as a kit not as boring as RTR......there you go Heljan, for a fee you can use that slogan :laugh:

Hi Boxbrownie,

I agree on the whole, yet as mentioned before, the er nominally G1 'Shed' from Accucraft really bucks that trend/viewpoint....me still thinks that 7mm RTR is similar to 4mm RTR of 5-10 years ago (detail wise) and still a tad overpriced - but hey that's just my point of view :)

TTFN

CME :)

Finally got round to weathering the Heljan 26 and the JLTRT 08 and TTA's. The 26 ihas come up really nice and the Pete Harvey rad fan grill etch lets you see the rad fan going round now. I will retro fit one of these into my Heljan 33/1 conversion I did earlier this year.

The 08 does look the business now it's got a few extra bits on it. One thing I just remembered that I have not done is a bit of silver on the step treads. I still have to sort out the fuel guage on the side and the dials in the cab. I took some pictures of the real ones but am having a bit of hassle re-sizing them at the moment from what is basically an A3 picture down to a 2mm diameter dial! Maybe I should take them again and stand back a bit with the camera.

The TTA's look nice in a block, need another 10 then it would look really nice. Maybe I will just stick with these 3 as I see Pete Watermann has put up the CAD images of the Prestwin on his Railnuts site Prestwin pics Now that is some wagon, just hope it's the right size :rolleyes:

post-6766-0-19599400-1311072774_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-13870700-1311072778_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-31606200-1311072781_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-73687100-1311072784_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-17088900-1311072788_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-25110400-1311072813_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-85702000-1311072820_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-99849800-1311072841_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-13455500-1311072846_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-23355200-1311072850_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-41432000-1311072857_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-18204300-1311072868_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-70963900-1311072873_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-79352000-1311072879_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-48184900-1311072889_thumb.jpg

post-6766-0-21872900-1311072902_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The only down side to this 08 is the price when you consider everthing you need :cry:

I have just recovered my Heljan 33/1 from the Howes display cabinet to fit a PHD fan etch in the roof. Here is a picture of the 33 and 26 next to each other to show the before and after view.

post-6766-0-23365900-1311100852_thumb.jpg

The only down side to this 08 is the price when you consider everthing you need :cry:

I have just recovered my Heljan 33/1 from the Howes display cabinet to fit a PHD fan etch in the roof. Here is a picture of the 33 and 26 next to each other to show the before and after view.

Hi Brian,

That photo really shows up the difference wow!!:yes:

CME

• RMweb Premium

Brian the more I see that 08 trundling along there the more I realise I should get my finger out and build at least a shunting plank to let mine trundle up and down, probably just the incentive I need to get my kits out of the repair/build works and onto steel.

I have been holding on here as I will be retiring in the next year or so and am reluctant to start a permanent layout obviously (as it couldn't be), but really need somewhere to roll the wheels rather than just the rolling road....although the sound of my 37 is kinda lovely in the train shed :yes:

Great work as always Brian....funny though I too have some piccies of the instruments and fuel guage I took of the 08 up at the NNR last year as I intended to use those printed out as you are, but when I tried a test they were so small if scale that it was hard to define any detail....and thats printed on a pro photo printer at work.

I see you spend a lot of your time building kits and detailing RTR. There seems to be many comments criticizing the kits than there are the RTR. I would be very interested to know which out of the two are the correct scale or doesn"t this cause any concern!! Quanity not quality springs to mind!!! The price issue, thats a good one. You get what you pay for and if i am correct the kits are produced in this country, so keeping people in this county in employment. The pictures seem to show a wide range of models which look good, but it seems that the weathering looks the same. Thats a pity....

I see you spend a lot of your time building kits and detailing RTR. There seems to be many comments criticizing the kits than there are the RTR. I would be very interested to know which out of the two are the correct scale or doesn"t this cause any concern!! Quanity not quality springs to mind!!! The price issue, thats a good one. You get what you pay for and if i am correct the kits are produced in this country, so keeping people in this county in employment. The pictures seem to show a wide range of models which look good, but it seems that the weathering looks the same. Thats a pity....

Hi Tango13,

I think that would be a great debate on kits and RTR models, also to see how accurate the models are. Also on what improvements or enhancement's can be done to achieve a better standard of model and perhaps the manufactures may listen before people start criticising particular models in various forums. Cost of models I'm not sure on that prices do vary from trade supplier to trade supplier and also depends on if you are cheeky enough if you get any discount at all, but I think a good talking point????

I think that would be a great debate on kits and RTR models, also to see how accurate the models are.

As a possible starting point, the first letter in Reader's Letters column in the new Model Railway Journal [issue 208] does, I think, make some very valid points. They relate to 4mm but are applicable to any gauge, I would say.

Regards,

David Parkins,

Modern Motive Power

I see you spend a lot of your time building kits and detailing RTR. There seems to be many comments criticizing the kits than there are the RTR. I would be very interested to know which out of the two are the correct scale or doesn"t this cause any concern!! Quanity not quality springs to mind!!! The price issue, thats a good one. You get what you pay for and if i am correct the kits are produced in this country, so keeping people in this county in employment.

tango13,

Are you going to start a thread on this?

If you do please let me / us know. Is it going to be 7mm only or to all comers?

OzzyO.

I see you spend a lot of your time building kits and detailing RTR. There seems to be many comments criticizing the kits than there are the RTR

Human nature I suppose? Believe me the monthly mags take the RTR models to pieces!

I would be very interested to know which out of the two are the correct scale or doesn"t this cause any concern!!

They are all to the correct scale, 7mm to the foot. As to whether it causes any concerns well if it looks like a duck, walks like duck then it's a duck :yes:

Quanity not quality springs to mind!!!

I will buy what I want :laugh:

The price issue, thats a good one. You get what you pay for

We hope so.

if i am correct the kits are produced in this country, so keeping people in this county in employment.

If I were to just buy products made in Britain I would be living in a cave and eating grass these days :cry:

The pictures seem to show a wide range of models which look good, but it seems that the weathering looks the same. Thats a pity....

We all have our own "signature" when it comes to modelling. I like my models not too dirty but just that used look.

Feel free to put some pictures of your work on here :yes:

• Like 9

tango13,

Are you going to start a thread on this?

If you do please let me / us know. Is it going to be 7mm only or to all comers?

Yes, Tango13 nearly got an instruction to Foxtrot Oscar from me this morning. ;)