Dapol MJA Freightliner Wagons in OO Gauge

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, 

Hope everyone is well. I wonder if anyone could help me please? I am considering buying some Dapol MJA Freightliner wagons in OO Gauge. However I have no idea as to what workings they can be currently found on, whilst been hauled by Freightliner traction. I have also seen photos of GBRf 66s hauling these Freightliner liveried wagons. If anyone could provide any information as to what these workings are too it would be greatly appreciated. I am interested in the headcodes of workings, the origin and the destination of the workings. 

Also does anyone have any of these wagons in OO Gauge? If so do they run well in a rake? Do the bars that couple in between each pair of wagons work ok? 

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission

• RMweb Gold

It’s a bit of a double edged sword that question as a large number were sold onto GBRf and either patched or repainted.  The remaining, I believe work out of Peak Forest but I stand to be corrected.

• Thanks 1

I believe all went to GB, apart from the one or two that have buffers both ends and were built as non standard prototypes. 

The box wagons Freightliner use now are MWAs, which use bogies and brake gear recycled from coal hoppers

Jo

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There were two prototypes with buffers. 502199/502200.

A couple of suggestions for workings - non stone traffic.

Crewe-Aldwarke scrap rail.

DB 66s on the front.

66076 Trowell 041113

They run very well in rakes with the bar couplings between pairs

• Thanks 1

Couplings work perfectly well on the MJAs . There was an issue with the Freightliner versions because the lamp irons were fitted on the wrong end. This was corrected on the GB versions. I wasn't that bothered about this tbh.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the replies everyone. I really appreciate it. 

I'm debating weather to buy the Freightliner or GBRf MJAs. As the Freightliner liveried wagons no longer appear to be current apart from a couple I may opt for the GBRf liveried wagons. Although the Freightliner versions have seen use with FL & DB 66s up front and FL 70s, whereas the GBRf ones have mainly been use with their own 66s up front and the occasional FL 66. 

Just been looking on Flickr and some of the FL MJAs have been used on coal traffic too, as well as stone and scrap, so the FL versions are very versatile. 

It's good to hear that the bar couplings work well. 

Thanks again for the info.