Kato announces Class 800 in N

Mike Harvey

On 13/05/2023 at 16:29, Kris said:

Apparently 9 coach class 800's have been announced at the n gauge show in York today. 

I’ve looked on Kato’s main site and cannot find anything regarding 9 car sets. They are producing a couple of new GWR 5 car sets, but nothing on 9 car versions. Does anyone have anything concrete regarding the 9 car sets, as it all seems a bit unsubstantiated rumours at the moment (and I’d obviously love to be proved wrong!) Anyone?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, nickb4141 said:

I’ve looked on Kato’s main site and cannot find anything regarding 9 car sets. They are producing a couple of new GWR 5 car sets, but nothing on 9 car versions. Does anyone have anything concrete regarding the 9 car sets, as it all seems a bit unsubstantiated rumours at the moment (and I’d obviously love to be proved wrong!) Anyone?

Hi there,

At the NGS annivesary exhibition at the NRM in May Mr Hiroshi Kato gave a talk.  It focussed primarily on the development of the Kato US 'Big Boy' steam locomotive, and the technical challenges that had to be overcome, but he did mention that Kato are tooling the additional cars to produce the 9-car IET/Azuma trains. 

He added that development of these would not be complete until 2024, which is probably why nothing more formal has been said.  It appears to me that Kato are fairly consistent in only announcing details of new models when they are not far from being with stockists.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

At the NGS annivesary exhibition at the NRM in May Mr Hiroshi Kato gave a talk.  It focussed primarily on the development of the Kato US 'Big Boy' steam locomotive, and the technical challenges that had to be overcome, but he did mention that Kato are tooling the additional cars to produce the 9-car IET/Azuma trains. 

He added that development of these would not be complete until 2024, which is probably why nothing more formal has been said.  It appears to me that Kato are fairly consistent in only announcing details of new models when they are not far from being with stockists.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for the update Ben and glad to hear they’re still going ahead! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, robf said:

I wonder will the new release show up in UK shops?  I've just seen it as a pre-order on the Japanese sites so far.

Hi,

Maurice of Osborn's posted a link on groups.io for Paddington pre-orders early last week with a precise "due Feb 29th 2024"

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/kato-10-1673-british-railways-class-8000-gwr-paddington-bear-5-cars-set-n-scale-57122-p.asp

I was expecting more dealers to follow by now but maybe there's some sort of big spending event coming up that they may be more focused on.

Regards, Gerry.

Edited by steam-driven boy
more complete detail
  • Thanks 1

Gaugemaster has now announced the GWR Paddington Bear version for the UK with a regular DC train set with an oval of track and controller, but also with 3 standalone trains - DC only, DCC fitted, and DCC sound. The sound fitted one appears to have on board sound rather than using the Kato Sound Card shoreside system.

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=kato+class+800+paddington

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/catalog/product/view/id/101355/s/gaugemaster-gm2000106-gwr-class-800-and-0-paddington-bear-premium-train-set/?utm_source=Main+Lines&utm_campaign=1984ccade7-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2023_10_18_10_29&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-1984ccade7-[LIST_EMAIL_ID]

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Yes, also just received an email notification from Hattons on pre-orders for the new batch of 5-car sets but, not yet at least, the 9-car.

Regards, Gerry.

And now also Train Trax an RoS with the Paddington set.

Edited by steam-driven boy
additional info.

• RMweb Premium

It will be interesting to know where the dcc sound chip will come from. Prices are a little more than previously but the difference in price between dcc and dcc ready is minimal and dcc sound is not excessive

15 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

There are decent discounts available on Paddington set pre-orders in Japan, about 27,500jpy. That's still very good value even if more than the first release. 

By the time you have added the international shipping, VAT and clearance charges, and the risk of a strengthening JPY,  there won't be much advantage over discounted UK prices (about £212) plus shipping I suspect. 

• RMweb Premium

I am in a rather fortunate position at the moment. Shipping from Japan to Singapore isn't that expensive and if customs open the box GST is 8% and the handling charge is trivial. I  buy a lot of my Kato and Tomix stuff from amazon Singapore, Japanese model shops utilise the platform, an advantage is it include free Prime shipping, prices include GST and are almost the same as the major Japanese webstores. So for me it is a bargain. However not everything goes on amazon sg so I still use stores/platforms like HLJ, plaza and 1999.

• Agree 1

On 18/10/2023 at 20:06, Kris said:

It will be interesting to know where the dcc sound chip will come from. Prices are a little more than previously but the difference in price between dcc and dcc ready is minimal and dcc sound is not excessive

I have it on good authority that the DCC will be the KATO EM13 chip as you might expect, and for Sound it will be a Zimo chip.

I

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian_M said:

I have it on good authority that the DCC will be the KATO EM13 chip as you might expect, and for Sound it will be a Zimo chip.

I

That’s good to know. I have ordered a sound fitted set so hopefully it’s good. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Paddington Bear Class 800 was the second best selling model railway item over the whole of October on the Hobby Search Japan website.  Kato might need a second run if the first batch sells out between February 2024 launch and the release of the next Paddington Bear movie in November 2024.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Chris M said:

A 9 car unit for around £270? It would be rude not to buy one!

I know it would be impossible for some but I do wish other manufacturers would publish a production schedule like Kato do. 

https://www.katomodels.com/schedule

Just waiting for the GWR version to be announced. That price is fantastic, even if it is a little higher in the UK. 

• Like 2

In the first week after its announcement the 9 car Azuma was the top selling train on the Hobby Search, Japan website. The best selling Japanese new trains were 9th, 11th and 14th. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

In the first week after its announcement the 9 car Azuma was the top selling train on the Hobby Search, Japan website. The best selling Japanese new trains were 9th, 11th and 14th. 

Hi all,

Hopefully that will encourage Kato to fund whatever additional tooling may be needed for the Class 80X units in TPE, Hull Trains, Lumo and Avanti colours.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 7