Kato announces Class 800 in N

Mike Harvey

3 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi all,

Hopefully that will encourage Kato to fund whatever additional tooling may be needed for the Class 80X units in TPE, Hull Trains, Lumo and Avanti colours.

cheers

Ben A.

I heartily agree. No one else will be attempting these, and I’d go for the TPE and Avanti ones.

Of course it does mean that Revolution would then be free to build on their CAF expertise and do the CL195, CL331, and all 12 CL397’s 😀

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

UK pricing now available for the 9 Car LNER KATO Class 800 set as announced in Japan a week or so ago, but also the DCC and DCC Sound versions available here in the UK.

DC RRP £399.95

DCC RRP £429.95

DCC-Sound RRP £499.95

To me these seem like great prices for a 9 car set, but they will be further discounted at Train Trax. Pre-orders are now open. Arrivals due in mid 2024.

I

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Compared to the new Farish class 158 those prices are already outstanding (RRP £259.95 & £369.95 for DC & DCC sound fitted versions respectfully for two-car unit).

If only Kato made something for modellers of earlier periods! (or if only Farish could sell larger batches to reduce the price!)

Looking forward to seeing a set at YAG later in the year!

Steven B

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, nickb4141 said:

Is it only LNER 9 car sets Kato are producing? Just seems a bit strange not to offer the GWR equivalents, unless I’ve missed something?

Not been officially announced yet, but GWR are coming later in the year, some time after the Paddington ones.

I

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The later release of the 9 car GWR set will avoid it getting confused with the 5 car GWR Paddington Bear set. The original 5 car LNER set still seems to be readily available and more so than the 5 car original GWR set.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The vanilla version of the GWR Paddington 800 is showing as being in stock with Gaugemaster now. The DCC and DCC sound fitted versions are not yet available, I guess we will have to wait for the chips to be fitted before seeing these. 

• 2 weeks later...

Received an email from HobbySearch Japan to say my 9 car LNER 800 has been delayed until June. Checking the Kato website it would seem so. Kato Production Schedule

※ [Apology]
Regarding the product number 10-1675 British Railways Class 800/1 LNER "AZUMA" that was scheduled to be shipped in May 2024, Due to various circumstances, we will change it to the following shipping schedule. We apologize for the inconvenience. ( Updated 4/5)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 9 car Azuma has just been delivered from Hobby Search. First impressions are very good, same high standard as the previous 5 car versions. 

• Like 1

Be interesting to learn whether the extra inside bearing coaches have an impact on performance. Hornby seem to be having an issue with that on their nine car sets in 00 gauge.

• RMweb Gold

I have been trying to source a replacement windscreen for my Azuma - not available as a spare, despite being very easy to pop out. Don't really want to fork out £45 for a new bodyshell.

• RMweb Premium

I’m in the same position - I’ll let you know if I find a source Adam! No idea what even happened to mine. 

The windscreen popped out on my first Class 800 when I fitted lighting. Since then I use a piece of Tamiya masking tape to hold the nose cone, lights and windscreen in place as all are easily displaced. With the new run now there should be more spares coming but not sure that I ever saw the windscreen listed. Could be worth alerting Gaugemaster and TrainTrax to feed back to Kato so they supply some with GWR 9 car when that is produced.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I have tried both Train Trax and Gaugemaster and the answer is no. 🙁

Edit - have contacted Kato directly via website. Hope they can assist.

Edited by Adam1701D
Update
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

Be interesting to learn whether the extra inside bearing coaches have an impact on performance. Hornby seem to be having an issue with that on their nine car sets in 00 gauge.

Having just ran the full 9 car around a Kato V14 loop, there is little to no effect at all. The motor carriage has 2 traction tyres fitted (which the 5 car did not) on one wheel on the inner most axles diagonally across from each other.

The inside bearing bogies are free running, much more so than Revolutions MK V.

Going full speed with the 800/1 had it going well above a realistic speed so wouldn’t worry too much about performance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1