RMweb

Contract rant

jjb1970

32 minutes ago, big jim said:

What is this “land line” you speak of? 

Two baked bean tins and string Jim. 

Back to the op, I'm rather more concerned that jjb, a poster with impeccable manners and a worldly wise gravitas has let such matters vex him so.

Admittedly I've only dealt with two mobile providers and the first of those was Cellnet, to give you an idea of how long ago that was.

But then I've never been dissatisfied, irked perhaps with a lack of loyalty bonuses. I have been surprised in the past that going through Carphone Warehouse was cheaper than dealing with the organ grinder direct and it was an eye opener of the savings to be made at my last contract renewal. But nothing to loose my sh!t over.

I have not and will never pay for a handset, and I was getting new Sony jobs every 18 months at one point. Cost me mind, but my consumer choice.

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Such that unlimited calls are included in the line rental and you get fast fibre broadband.

Thats all my landline is for now an internet connection, very rarely use the phone itself  any more 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Do without a phone ?

Never.

In most of the places I go photographing I can see a simplified version of the PSB panel on my phone, with trains and signals moving and changing in "real time" (and on some panels even level crossing barriers going through their cycles) - this means I can be ready for approaching trains.

I can also access various sites with information about whats running and how late it is etc.

Each to their own but I prefer to have one.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Agreed, looking to upgrade #1 son with Plusnet - 2.5Gb, unlimited minutes and texts  £7.00 a month. It is a 12 month deal though, not the rolling 30 day he's on at the moment ....

Have a look at giffgaff, from the middle of August their £10 goodybag is 6gb and unlimited calls/texts with no ties. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, big jim said:

Thats all my landline is for now an internet connection, very rarely use the phone itself  any more 

My daughter and her husband have never given out their landline phone number, and have never installed a phone, its purely for broadband connection.

For the most part my wife and myself tend to use our mobiles for telephone conversations, as nether of us ever get near using our monthly allowances, since getting anytime free calls (as against free at weekends and after 7pm we have started to use the land line more. Its used more for others to call us these days

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, melmerby said:

Make sure you use some up in that period.

As I found out when SWMBOs phone wouldn't work after she had a period in hospital (when it was used) and some at home convalesence.

Whilst at home she didn't use it for possibly just over 6 months as there is a landline.

Vodafone in their wisdom wiped the number and took the near £10 credit.

Common practice, sadly.  About time the phone regulator jumped on this practice - it's nothing short of theft.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Common practice, sadly.  About time the phone regulator jumped on this practice - it's nothing short of theft.

It does vary from company to company.

Vodafone are one of the shortest.

Some others are up to 12 or 18 months.

It wasn't much over the time but I was told rather abruptly that it couldn't be re-activated as it had already been put back in the pool.

I was not impressed at such haste to de-allocate the number.

Edited by melmerby
more info