A note to those selling on eBay

hayfield

22 hours ago, njee20 said:

I'd be pissed off if I sent something which arrived as intended and I received anything but positive feedback because of something that could have happened. Would you have left neutral feedback if it hadn't been built as well as you thought too?

I  think part of eBay's selling rules is that an item is properly packed, in some instances popping an item in a Jiffy bag without additional wrapping is acceptable, others its not. Feedback should be accurate and fair

What if it had been well packed but had been run over by the delivery lorry, whereby he'd apologised profusely and refunded?

Totally different subject, feedback will be dependant on how the seller acts

What's your eBay name? Just want to make sure I never sell you anything!

Why should you worry if you pack things up properly ?

15 hours ago, polybear said:

On a separate note (and I wasn't aware until yesterday) the compensation terms for some (many?) couriers may catch many of us out, should the worst happen; I usually use the following site for quotes, in the event that Royal Mail costs make heavy or large parcels unviable:

https://www.parcel2go.com/

(this isn't a recommendation, but it's worked ok for me so far)

Taking UPS as an example, the terms are (I've deleted those items that are unlikely to be applicable in a Railway Modelling context):

Items Covered For Loss Only:

The services provided to us by the couriers will send the following items, however, they will not compensate for any damage.

• If the item is lost within their network they will refund the cost of the carriage and the items value (Parcel protection must be taken out for any loss to be claimed).
  • Electrical Appliances That Are Not Considered White Goods Such As Cameras, Monitors, Computers, All In One Computers, Drones, Lamps, Laptops, Scanners, TV, Projector Etc.
  • Models, Kits

So unless Models, Kits, DCC controllers etc. etc. are actually lost then they're not covered.  If it's been flattened by the Hermes fork-lift but still delivered, then....tough

I see a snag there.....

One of the reasons I like the Royal Mail, follow their rules and you are covered  !! Quite a lot of items I receive are not up to the standard for compensation required by the Royal Mail, which is 2" of protective packing all around 

Many make fun out of Amazons packing as overkill, but Items do arrive intact.

• Like 1

I only use Royal Mail both for selling and buying on eBay.  If I want something that cant be delivered from RM then I'll only buy from a retailer that have a good track record for resolving damaged/lost parcels, or I'll buy it from a show.

If I received an item that was poorly packed but otherwise fine, I wouldn't leave neutral feedback but I would comment on it in the positive feedback left, plus leave a 1 star in the breakdown section, and drop a note to the seller. 

The reason I wont buy from a seller using a courier on eBay is because the local DPD driver is a convicted thief, and on our local community boards, people are complaining about lost DPD deliveries.  Of course, people do change their ways.  Maybe a case of 2+2=5 but too much co-incidence for me to take a risk.  Further, the local Hermes driver (who is in need of a good wash) and has also been accused of having sticky fingers, but not proven as far as I'm aware.  Again, too much risk for me.

Interesting to read here what’s expected in the way of packaging. A pal of mine bought a large roll of bubble wrap from Amazon to safely package items he was disposing of as part of a business closure. It came safely enclosed in polythene and wrapped in a couple of metres of bubble wrap. All in a cardboard box about 3-4 inches bigger than the roll, and filled with polystyrene chips.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

4 hours ago, RANGERS said:

Interesting to read here what’s expected in the way of packaging. A pal of mine bought a large roll of bubble wrap from Amazon to safely package items he was disposing of as part of a business closure. It came safely enclosed in polythene and wrapped in a couple of metres of bubble wrap. All in a cardboard box about 3-4 inches bigger than the roll, and filled with polystyrene chips.....

Reminds me of when I did a joke Christmas present of a roll of wrapping paper, wrapped in more wrapping paper.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/08/2019 at 21:03, Bucoops said:

I sent a small server by TNT earlier in the week, their list of what's not covered is pretty comprehensive - it even included "all fragile items". No definition of what a fragile item is though.

Welcome to my world, fragile covers ceramics, glassware, wine bottles etc etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, JiLo said:

If I received an item that was poorly packed but otherwise fine, I wouldn't leave neutral feedback but I would comment on it in the positive feedback left, plus leave a 1 star in the breakdown section, and drop a note to the seller. 

I suspect few read the positive feedback comments; if like me they are more likely to read the neutral and negative comments.

If a seller has a history of poor packing evident thru' numerous similar neutral (or negative, if damage occurred) then a prospective buyer may well think twice before submitting that bid for a kitbuilt loco....

• RMweb Premium

Over the last 20 years I've sent various parcels for both personal and professional purposes. Despite having an unrepeatable opinion about Royal Mail's senior (mis)management and having an open complaint with the Ombudsman against them, I usually use their services. Not because I think they are great but because in my experience they are (currently) the least worst. Bottom line is most of the problems seem to originate from the delivery person at the end of the parcel's journey, whether because they are being Bulleid by management to try and meet KPIs, are dishonest, illiterate, cretinous or malevolent. I've had parcels damaged by just about every firm I can think of - the way they deal with this distinguishes those that make some effort and those who make none. 

I have a good E-Bay record and feedback has various positive comments about the quality of my packing - it's not rocket science. Defence in depth. I initially wrap a kit-built loco in poly air foam sheet - there's less risk of marking paintwork than with bubblewrap - firmly but not tightly, then with several layers of bubblewrap ditto. Depending on the parcel size and detail on the loco, the bundle may then be placed in an inner card box and/or surrounded by shredded paper or plastic pasta, with the loco going in as close to the centre of the outer as I can manage. So far, so good. 

Like many others, I recycle as much incoming packing as possible. Certain firms are good sources of tough outer boxes, whether new or recycled. Others ... it's a miracle if the goods arrive in one piece. I don't place repeat business with them. Skimping on packing is a false economy. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't sell on eBay but do buy items from time to time. I've only had one item arrive "damaged" — a Union Mills loco that arrived minus its front coupling but this must have occurred before posting. I suppose it would be possible for (very) rough handling to break it off but not without damaging the box and it wouldn't make the coupling disappear. As the coupling was clearly shown in the photograph I requested a return for "item not as described" (and got it without any problems).

I never know what feedback to award in this type of situation (or if a seller cancels if they can't find the item—that's happened twice). Up to now I just don't award any feedback at all as I haven't had an experience at all. I don't know how the effect of giving no feedback compares with awarding neutral feedback (to get negative feedback the seller would have to refuse to accept the return of an item not as described, or not send an item and not refund, as far as I'm concerned).

The main problem I have with packaging is with those sellers who cover the whole box with parcel tape; I don't know what is a safe way to open it! (And I can't put the cardboard in the recycling.)

The only under packed parcel I've had was a Minitrains loco sent by a leading U.K. retailer in a Jiffy bag with a cardboard sleeve round the loco box. The postman (actually woman) put it through the letter box—it wasn't marked as fragile. Fortunately it wasn't damaged. Not eBay, but I'll use them less in future.

On 19/08/2019 at 12:26, hayfield said:

When sending something through the post I assume it will at least once be thrown from one side of the room to the other, or have something heavy dropped on it. So try and protect it from that, and follow the Royal Mail's guidelines on packing, so if the worst happens I can claim

Don't get me started on what happens to parcels within the mail system

My advice is = pack really well, keep all receipts for posting up to 6 months afterwards, always photograph and keep the packing material for items which arrive damaged - you won't get compensation otherwise and finally, don't allow yourself to be fobbed off by the Royal Mail  - they will often deny it is their fault. 

13 hours ago, letterspider said:

Don't get me started on what happens to parcels within the mail system

My advice is = pack really well, keep all receipts for posting up to 6 months afterwards, always photograph and keep the packing material for items which arrive damaged - you won't get compensation otherwise and finally, don't allow yourself to be fobbed off by the Royal Mail  - they will often deny it is their fault. 

As a seller once the item has arrived and feedback given, as you say file the receipt away for 6 mths

As a buyer if an item arrives and its undamaged if suitable I keep the packaging for re-use. If an item arrives damaged await instructions from the seller. I have found usually the item has been damaged because it has not been packed in accordance with the Royal Mail's guide lines,  

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I never know what feedback to award in this type of situation (or if a seller cancels if they can't find the item—that's happened twice). Up to now I just don't award any feedback at all as I haven't had an experience at all.

When they "couldn't find the item" - had the item sold for a low price by any chance.......?

I bought an unused space-saver wheel & tire for my car which had been poorly listed (it didn't mention the car it was for, but I recognised it).  Started at a quid, no other bidders, collect only.  I'm a happy bunny; seller was fine about it.  He was even finer when I bunged him twenty quid, which was still a very good deal for me.

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

As a seller once the item has arrived and feedback given, as you say file the receipt away for 6 mths

As a buyer if an item arrives and its undamaged if suitable I keep the packaging for re-use. If an item arrives damaged await instructions from the seller. I have found usually the item has been damaged because it has not been packed in accordance with the Royal Mail's guide lines,  

Out of interest, why do you keep the receipt even after (presumably) positive feedback left?  Arguing no delivery, damage, not as described etc. becomes difficult if they've done that?

53 minutes ago, polybear said:

Out of interest, why do you keep the receipt even after (presumably) positive feedback left?  Arguing no delivery, damage, not as described etc. becomes difficult if they've done that?

A lot of the eBay and Paypal complaints systems are automated, such as not as described or not delivered.

If you have not sent an item with tracking then, provided you obtained a proof of posting receipt, an uploaded jpg is sufficient to evidence that the item was dispatched.

Also accounts can be (supposedly) highjacked. I can't recall exact details but I once had a claim raised for this reason several weeks after the item was dispatched. The account holder claimed they actually never ordered nor received that item.

I was able to avoid a chargeback because I had a receipt to show I had dispatched to the Paypal registered address nad so it was no longer my problem.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, polybear said:

When they "couldn't find the item" - had the item sold for a low price by any chance.......?

I bought an unused space-saver wheel & tire for my car which had been poorly listed (it didn't mention the car it was for, but I recognised it).  Started at a quid, no other bidders, collect only.  I'm a happy bunny; seller was fine about it.  He was even finer when I bunged him twenty quid, which was still a very good deal for me.

Habit, I just put the postage receipt to a printed copy of the item, then dispose of the paperwork a couple of times a year

• Like 1

It's human nature that a single bad experience, even the first time of using a service, will put people off.

After sending literally thousands of parcels all over the world by Royal Mail I can assure everyone that their service is second to none, even though things do occasionally go awry.

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, Crosland said:

It's human nature that a single bad experience, even the first time of using a service, will put people off.

After sending literally thousands of parcels all over the world by Royal Mail I can assure everyone that their service is second to none, even though things do occasionally go awry.

I am of the same opinion, Royal Mail (and Post Office counters ) offer a good service at a reasonable cost. Certainly the Royal Mail do compensate customers when Items are lost, have heard complaints about issues with other couriers  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Crosland said:

...snip... After sending literally thousands of parcels all over the world by Royal Mail I can assure everyone that their service is second to none, even though things do occasionally go awry.

I have bought several items (Bachmann OO Class 66s mainly) from ebay.uk and all have arrived here reasonably quickly and in great shape via Royal Mail small air parcel. They took from ten to fourteen days.  I agree that the RM does quite well. I also think that the USPS is the best over here.

Edited by J. S. Bach

8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I have bought several items (Bachmann OO Class 66s mainly) from ebay.uk and all have arrived here reasonably quickly and in great shape via Royal Mail small air parcel. They took from ten to fourteen days.  I agree that the RM does quite well. I also think that the USPS is the best over here.

I think you will find RTR items (especially light weight ones) both in their factory packaging and well wrapped are very robust. The issues I have suffered mainly have been with kit built whitemetal items. mainly due to insufficient packaging, which either fails to absorb the knocks or allowing movement within the box

I do agree on the whole the Royal Mail does offer a reliable and in most cases a cost efficient service, in addition my local Post Office Counter operates 7 days a week and late nights (I never make the early mornings) whist the supermarket is open, which adds to the experiance 

• RMweb Premium

I had a new experience with a parcel drop-off point (a shop) on Saturday - I was sending a parcel via UPS.  Parcel dropped off & scanned by shop - all ok.  But no receipt, or text message to my phone either - despite me asking repeatedly.  Was assured by shop that receipt is via looking at Tracking Number, which I could only do at home on pc.  So if shop had subsequently said that parcel was never delivered to them, I'd be stuffed with no proof otherwise.

I wasn't happy, but all worked ok so no issues.  But I'll think hard before using that shop & UPS again.  Anyone else had similar?  I've a mind to email UPS also, to ask what their stance is.

Brian

p.s. All the latest parcels have been via Royal Mail.....

I must admit that I was very vocal against Hermes, mainly due to the quality of their delivery agents. Certainly where I live they are now very good and they also seem to have shaved a day or two off their delivery time, but still one or two days longer than the Royal Mail. Also their cut off time for picking up the goods seems to be lunchtime against 5 pm of the Royal Mail. Where Hermes come into their own iss on heavier and larger packets. Their tracking system is far better than the Royal Mail's. The one negative where I live is the drop off shop and its security arrangements

However my recommendation on the quality of packing required remains the same whichever carrier is used

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hayfield said:

However my recommendation on the quality of packing required remains the same whichever carrier is used

+1

Always put a return address on the outside. I have had probably 3 total losses with RM (out of 1000s) but quite a few more "lost" parcels returned, sometimes after quite some weeks or months, always due to not being collected from their local delivery office by the recipient.

Disclaimer: I am talking about parcels sent in the course of business, but always hand posted at the PO counter using "consumer" services. The only distinguishing feature is a company logo on the return address label. I don't know if this makes a difference.

I sold an item recently which arrived damaged and the buyer left me neutral feedback saying it was poorly packaged.  I believed it was packaged well enough, however obviously not.  The annoying part is the buyer never contacted me about it and just left neutral feedback (at least it wasn't negative).  I contacted them and offered a refund if it was returned to me but got no response which I found a bit annoying and rude.  If they had contacted me before leaving feedback I would have been perfectly willing to accept a return and give a full refund.  It's the first time I have ever had anything I've sold damaged, so lesson learned - package up even more robustly than you think is enough.