Inspection Saloon/TIC DB999508

Hi all,

I'm off on another crusade, this time the Inspection Saloon/Track Inspection Coach DB999508.

I have found various photos on WWW.departmentals.com etc together with some snippets of information, including that a OO kit/RTR version was available around 2007, made by Britannia Pacific models of Hastings - I have tried their website, whicj is still available, but the email address fails - does anybody have a current address?

My model will be in O Gauge and from information obtained so far, it appears that the original was built at Swindon in the 60s and converted in the 80s and further updated around 2003. The only dimensional ionformation is that it is on a 57' underframe - the same as a BG and looking at photos of both vehicles, it seems that this might be the case.

Does anybody have any photos/drawings of the vehicle, in either guise, especially below the running board and the internal layout that might help me.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

regards

Mike

I've photos of 999504, 999503 in blue/grey around 1982 if that's any help? Could be photoshopped a bit to show more detail I think.

Were they all the same in that batch?

-03 being propelled by a 25 at Warrington

post-6971-127307372899.jpg

-04 at Leicester on the occasion of the naming of the 47 "University of Leicester"

post-6971-127307373156.jpg

Hi Eastwestdivide,

many thanks for your response to my request, unfortunately, 508 had two windows on the end and the side elevation was - window, door, 3 windows, door, 3 windows, door, window and it had B4 bogies. I think that the basis of the design was the BG and the door arrangements certainly coincide with this point.

I think that a call to Shawn Kay of Easybuild Coaches is on the cards and the drills, knives and files will need to be sharpened.

Again, many thanks for your interest.

regards

Mike

Hi Springs Branch,

many thanks for your message, I will be replying during this morning.

Hi Etched Pixels,

you are correct, as I said in my earlier reply. I have now drawn up an elevation and it confirms my thoughts that the BR built ones - in this series anyway, are based on the BG door configuration. It still beggars the question as to whether they were BG rebuilds or total new builds.

I hope to be able to take things a little further once I have been able to establish the internal layout.

regards

Mike

Bit more info from the optimistically-named "archive":

Platform 5's departmentals book of 1984 lists:

TDB999501/3/4 as lot 3093, 1957 to LMS diagram 2046

and

TDB999506 as lot 3095, 1957 and

DB999508/9 as lot 3379, 1960

both to WR diagram Q13

All the above as TOPS code QXV.

Same book 1985 has a photo of DB999509 with, as you said, two windows in the end marked "SALOON END", 3 doors in the side, and plenty of windows.

David Larkin's big lists from that period have:

lot 3093 as Wolverton 1959 to digram 1/550 (DB999501-04 : 4 vehicles)

lot 3094 as Wolverton 1959 to diagram 1/551 (DB999505)

lot 3095 as Swindon 1962, to diagram 1/552 (DB999506)

lot 3379 as Swindon 1963, to diagram 1/552 (DB999508-09)

diagram 1/550 is "inspection saloon (coach design)"

1/551 is "as 1/550 but different internal layout"

1/552 is "inspection saloon (longer coach design)"

and in case you're wondering, DB999507 is shown as lot 3248, built by Wickham, "Elliott" track recorder, unknown diagram.

I do like these one-offs and oddities.

Hi Eastwestdivide,

many thanks for that information, it is interesting that Swidon still refered to them as Q13 - the same reference as the Hawksworths that they built in the late 40s. I'll look up my references for these Q13s and compare notes.

As you say, the one offs are more interesting than the rest.

regards

Mike

Hi Coachmann,

many thanks for posting that, it clearly shows the differences between the two and three window ends. The Swindon 1940s built Hawksworths were three window ends - dia Q13 and were very similar to the ex LMS dia D2046 Saloons and as I said earlier, the side window layout on these BR built vehicles vastly different in their layout to the GWR/LMS built units.

post-6951-127313445135.jpg

post-6951-127313445445.jpg

post-6951-127313445758.jpg

an ex LMS dia D2046 that I built a few years ago from a Sidelines kit.

regards

Mike

One more thing - the photo in the 1985 Platform 5 book shows 999509 on B1-type bogies (leaf springs, definitely not B4-type). The photo's undated unfortunately, but the vehicle looks to be in blue/grey with yellow end.

Also, the windscreen wipers are mounted below the windows, unlike coachmann's photo of -06 above.

Presumably the surviving ones are now converted to air brakes.

Hi Eastwestdivide,

thanks for the info, it's not surprising that peaople say that a model is not right when things change so quickly. I think that we need to take photographic evidence with us when exhibiting our stock so that the rivet counters can be put in their place when trying to convince us that we are wrong and they are (always) right.

I have just had an email from Springs Baranch to say that DB999508 is at Derby today (as he is as well) and he will try and get some photos.

regards

Mike

The Mark 1 inspection saloons were built as such.

The bogies vary with date as do some of the other details such as handles, and extra fittings (and in that case of course quite a drastic reworking in places)

The best "one off" saloon had to be 962450

Hi Etchedpixels

some vehicle that - slightly spoilt be the flashing red battery pack - my 47 is in Railfreight Grey, so I'm part of the way there.

Thanks for confirming that dia 1/552 were new builds.

regards

Mike

Hi Paul,

many thanks for pointing those out. Showing the 'non-corridor' side like that will help a great deal on the drawing for that elevation.

regards

Mike

ps - must keep remembering that your site is not exclusively 'goods wagons'

Not to boast - no I will :rolleyes:

As the Woking Track Engineer - I've a place booked on the NR outing booked for 999508 from Waterloo to Weymouth on the 16/06/10. I'll post the timings when I get chance and take some internals for this thread. Unfortunately, these inspection saloons have to be towed nowadays ("they" really do take the fun out of everthing). Traction for the last run back in April was a West Coast Railways 47 - 47756 ?? with the 37 bring the empties into W'loo. I hope they'll do the traction the other way round this time !

Archived